How do I make thread interesting enough

I have but I crossed to apple from windows eight some time ago and I would go back I don't think. I don't actually move the Pro at all really.

I'm still using Windows 7 myself. Never had any desire to "upgrade" to 8 or 10. I've done a bit with Mac, and do like portions of the system. Biggest issue I have with Mac is that the OS is too hardware specific. I understand the reasoning behind this of course, but still I dislike the fact that if I buy a mac and keep it for a year or two odds are good if I want to upgrade to the newest version of the OS, I'll have to buy a new mac because the old one won't run it anymore.

For a lot of the higher end applications it will often require you to upgrade to the latest version of the OS to use the latest version of their software, so I end up having to purchase a new system every couple of years or so or run older versions of the software, which I'm not thrilled with. The backward compatibility on Macs just isn't great I'm sorry to say.

For some folks of course this isn't as much of an issue as they tend to upgrade hardware more often than I do, but for me I prefer sticking with my PC.

I don't follow what your saying there :confused: Do you mean upgrading from will say OS Yosemite to EL Captian the latest OS version. I don't know if that is compatible with the jump from windows 8 to 10 or whatever it is now is it?

I don't follow what your saying there :confused: Do you mean upgrading from will say OS Yosemite to EL Captian the latest OS version. I don't know if that is compatible with the jump from windows 8 to 10 or whatever it is now is it?

Mac OS is different than windows. I can run Windows 10 on my old laptop if I want, even one that is several generations old.

Mac OS, on the other hand, is coded to work for specific Macs. I can upgrade the OS on an older Mac - to a certain point.. however beyond that point I can no longer upgrade and I have to buy newer hardware.

The problem comes in that a lot of applications that are written for Mac only work with certain versions of the OS - I can't, for example, run some applications that are written for older versions of the apps on newer version of the OS, and I can't run newer versions of some apps on older versions of the OS.

On my windows machine I can run most applications that were designed for windows even if they are very old applications. I can also run most of the newer applications on older versions of the OS. On Mac a lot of times this isn't the case.

Mac OS is different than windows. I can run Windows 10 on my old laptop if I want, even one that is several generations old.

Mac OS, on the other hand, is coded to work for specific Macs. I can upgrade the OS on an older Mac - to a certain point.. however beyond that point I can no longer upgrade and I have to buy newer hardware.

The problem comes in that a lot of applications that are written for Mac only work with certain versions of the OS - I can't, for example, run some applications that are written for older versions of the apps on newer version of the OS, and I can't run newer versions of some apps on older versions of the OS.

On my windows machine I can run most applications that were designed for windows even if they are very old applications. I can also run most of the newer applications on older versions of the OS. On Mac a lot of times this isn't the case.

I did not know that. Apple reminds me of Volkswagen in a way in terms of there sales strategies, most niceties in VWs are invariably extras,. I guess thats why there filthy rich.

I did not know that. Apple reminds me of Volkswagen in a way in terms of there sales strategies, most niceties in VWs are invariably extras,. I guess thats why there filthy rich.

Well Mac OS is coded to work with very specific hardware. The upside is stability of course, when you have everything designed to work on a limited hardware set the OS is pretty solid. You don't have to deal with trying to make it compatible with dang near everything.

The downside, or at least one of them, is that you run into a situation where certain versions of the OS will only run on certain Macs. Older macs can only be updated to a certain point, then you can no longer upgrade them. They become paperweights pretty quickly as a result.

I've got an old dual core laptop that runs windows. It's not the zippiest thing on the planet, it's got like 2 gig of ram, etc. I can run windows 7 on it, no problem. If I really wanted to I could put Windows 10 on it. It will run all of my applications, even the latest and greatest version of Photoshop. Might not be able to run it at lightning speed, but it can run it.

In the Mac world though odds are good I'd be using whatever OS was out at the time that mac was produced. I might be able to upgrade to the next version of the OS if it was compatible, often it's not - but once I reach a certain point my ability to load the new OS stops. I'm stuck with whatever version of the OS that mac will support.

As a result I might not be able to load the newest version of Photoshop, or whatever applicatio0n, because on a Mac often those high end applications require the latest or close to the latest version of the OS to run. The applications will often not support older versions of the OS.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Windows by any means, I'm not. But I have some applications that only run under windows so for now that's my best option. Someday hopefully in the not too distant future someone will come up with a way where I can run windows applications under Linux at native or near native speeds without it being buggy as hell.

The day that happens, oh ya, it's bye bye Microsoft. But until then, well I guess I'm kind of stuck. Lol

I'm still using Windows 7 myself. Never had any desire to "upgrade" to 8 or 10. I've done a bit with Mac, and do like portions of the system. Biggest issue I have with Mac is that the OS is too hardware specific. I understand the reasoning behind this of course, but still I dislike the fact that if I buy a mac and keep it for a year or two odds are good if I want to upgrade to the newest version of the OS, I'll have to buy a new mac because the old one won't run it anymore.
I use a Mac from early 2011, and have had no issues with upgrading any of the software or OS to the latest version, which has been a total of 4 OS upgrades so far. It's handled everything well, and I don't anticipate having to buy a new machine for a few more years either.

Last edited:
Like others have said it, t&a, gear, new photographer charging for services, more t&a...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back