How do they do it

Photoshop weight off? Screw that. I like ladies with curves; not these weird stick figures we have going on now. I think manaheim would agree (based on another post I saw).

As stated, it's usually a combo of make-up and post-processing. PP helps for fixing up things you can't do before the shoot, like teeth being a little off-white (seriously, everyone's teeth is off-white; NO ONE I've ever seen has had those picture-perfect smiles...that'd be why it's picture perfect), or the blood vessels in the eyes being visible (again, pretty common, but no no, doesn't make a perfect image).

The ethics of the issue are complex. I personally think we need more education about the matter. People need to know what processes are involved in creating this stunning images, and that they simply aren't true-to-life. I mean, who walks around with softboxes lighting them all day? :lmao:

I see you Garbz. I'm curious what you'll say... ;)

Start with the subject. Yes it's true that all those go through photoshop, but at the same time it's also true that a makeup artist will have their way with the subject first.

Aw, no shpeil on the ethics of it all? ;)

It's true. Don't leave home without your MUA.

Photoshop weight off? Screw that. I like ladies with curves; not these weird stick figures we have going on now.

I didn't say I agreed with it, just that it is what is done and I did have to do it for one photo once (woman was in a white, skin-tight angel costume - it definitely didn't look right, but I've met her in person and I honestly don't know how that photographer managed to get a pooch on her in the photo, LOL! There's not an ounce of fat on that stick, I'm mean woman!).

I'm all for normal-looking ppl, not make-up and editing tricks and media hype. I'm all for the inner beauty of a person.

like teeth being a little off-white (seriously, everyone's teeth is off-white; NO ONE I've ever seen has had those picture-perfect smiles...that'd be why it's picture perfect), or the blood vessels in the eyes being visible (again, pretty common, but no no, doesn't make a perfect image).

Yeah, sometimes they do teeth a little TOO white! (I do admit to whitening teeth on a dog in Photoshop....)

The ethics of the issue are complex. I personally think we need more education about the matter. People need to know what processes are involved in creating this stunning images, and that they simply aren't true-to-life. I mean, who walks around with softboxes lighting them all day? :lmao:

The media would shut that education down real quick, haha! :p "No! Don't let them know how hideous we really are, that it is all just smoke and mirrors and some clicks of a mouse!"

Don't worry, it wasn't a comment about you or what you agreed with, just me venting a little about the sticks in the current industry. I mean, yes, sometimes to get that image you need to do some heavy retouching and make love to the liquefy tool.

And I freely admit to whitening teeth as part of retouching. Such a piece of cake to do too. Just sample the yellow, invert the colour, paint in on a new layer, and drop the opacity. Bring up luminance or paint another layer of pure white to get them brighter, and presto (as long as it isn't overdone to the point that they look like they're in a Colgate ad :lol: ; that occasionally happens to me while I'm PP'ing "Whoopsie...let's just move that slider a tad left...").

I use Viveza (a Nik Software plug-in) for teeth whitening (and other such color enhancements) - much quicker/easier than straight Photoshop.

I mean, other than my toothpaste that claims to whiten my teeth when I brush them, of course! :p

I use Viveza (a Nik Software plug-in) for teeth whitening (and other such color enhancements) - much quicker/easier than straight Photoshop.

I mean, other than my toothpaste that claims to whiten my teeth when I brush them, of course! :p

Yeah. In your dreams it whitens. I have Viveza; haven't though to use it for that though. Must try that next time. OnOne's Photo Tools doesn't quite cut it for teeth whitening. But I'm pretty picky too. If I'm going to do it I want to get rid of every last bit of yellow.

Some times when you look at photo of a male celebrity on the cover of a magazine like People magazine you cant see any facial hair at all not even little black dots you might see after shaving. How do they do it? Do they shave a special way, put makeup on or use a computer program to get rid of it ?

Photoshop, like the darkroom was when film was king, is an integral part of the photography process. All images for magazine have had some post production in Photoshop.

Yeah. In your dreams it whitens.

Nah, doesn't whiten even there! Haha.

I have Viveza; haven't though to use it for that though. Must try that next time. OnOne's Photo Tools doesn't quite cut it for teeth whitening. But I'm pretty picky too. If I'm going to do it I want to get rid of every last bit of yellow.

I haven't used Photo Tools. But Viveza works well for it. I love Viveza. :mrgreen: I've even used it to make a friends' P&S shots look much better (she let me use them for a personal photo book I was making of a trip we were both on, but they were typical dingy P&S shots - too bad I can't post one for show & tell).

Photoshop weight off? Screw that. I like ladies with curves; not these weird stick figures we have going on now. I think manaheim would agree (based on another post I saw).

In fairness to the retouchers, sometimes curves that look OK in 3D may look quite odd from a certain angle in 2D.

I'd agree that, genearlly, overprocessing a photo in search of some neo-Platonic ideal is both dishonest and tacky.

In fairness to the retouchers, sometimes curves that look OK in 3D may look quite odd from a certain angle in 2D.

True. Or the photographer didn't notice something before the shot was taken.

I'd agree that, genearlly, overprocessing a photo in search of some neo-Platonic ideal is both dishonest and tacky.

Yeah, but this is the Barbie doll society, so whatcha gonna do? :meh: (If Barbie was a real human, with her "dimensions", she'd topple over, LOL! That and poor eunuch Ken would have zero chance, hahaha.)

If you were to place the picture on the front cover and place them beside the real person, they are often so dissimilar that you'd swear it was someone else!

Have you ever seen the amount of chopping done to the face of someone? There was a youtube video time-lapse... though beautiful looking, the final result was NOTHING like the original shot.

I think this might be what you're talking about. Or at least it's one of the things like this, I'm sure there's plenty.

Last edited by a moderator:
How the crap do you get youtube not you automatically embed things?

[ quote ] link here [ /quote ]

link here

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ySgtLofMU5g&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ySgtLofMU5g&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think this might be what you're talking about. Or at least it's one of the things like this, I'm sure there's plenty.

YouTube - Dove Campaign for Self Esteem

Wow, that's crazy how different she looks! They should've added a before-and-after side-by-side at the end, but still you know she looked different.

Nice Photoshopping, though! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back