How do you know when it is time to start charging?

As far as a good rate - I think you need to hone your craft to the point where you feel your portrait work or family photoshoot (etc) is worth what your fair competition is charging. I agree very much with Overread said. I do think you could consider methods or strategies to help cushion what you think is too much to charge. Since you worked in customer service, you know the importance of value-added service. What do you think you do or can offer in terms of attention, time, dedication to the shoot that adds Value to your client? Is it a "keep at it until its right", flexible scheduling, etc? Consider offering discounts to those where it may be more beneficial to get word-of-mouth going. Military families 20-30% discount. Military Reunions 40% off... Could be tricky to get right, but maybe that'll be responded to really well. Again, value-added. "She normally charges $200 for family sessions, but we're getting her at $140" Or offer discounts at different times of the year. Whatever brings in the clients you are looking for. Your business acumen, polished product, interaction with the client will hopefully bring them and their friends back. Which is the goal at the end of the day, right?

Just my thoughts.

Ababy, keep in mind you are not only insuring your gear, but you liability insurance against the clients. You know, if you take them to a location to shoot, such as railroad track, and they get injured, there is the potential for a lawsuit. Somebody here had posted pics of kids in a tree. Well, if it's your suggestion, and they fall out...potential lawsuit. Crazy **** happens, and once you start charging, (actually, even if your not) you run that risk. This is not to scare you. Just something that's important to be covered against.

Price yourself close to market. Too cheap and you will be the cheap photographer that gets bypassed, if people are scouting around for advertised prices.

Price yourself too cheap, and the word of mouth publicity of your awesome pictures caries with it the awesome price. When You feel you need to charge more, that's a tough thing to combat, and you will have to do it slowly over time. That's why I suggest pricing yourself competitively.

Another good point with remaining at a competative rate is that it opens up the world of the working pro (within that competative market bracket) to yourself. This more comes into play with event shooting (eg weddings, parties etc.. rather than smaller family groups) as many photographers in that line of work will build up relationships with each other - allowing them to offer cover over an event (say you get struck ill and can't attend a key event) and to also pass work around (you're fully booked for weddings in a time period so you pass on the customers to other contacts you have).

If you price yourself far too low you sort of move into a dark area where you are undercutting and many established pros in your area might not want to engage with you in such setups. Like I say its a setup more suited to event based work rather than family portraits alone - but its a community at least (even though they compete against each other)

everyone has given excellent things to think about.
Thank you very much.

REPLY TO:

I don't have business insurance. Where would I find that?

An insurance question!! I will know the answer to this one :)

I actually work in business insurance.

Any "large" personal insurer can write you a policy, but I would suggest going to an independent commercial insurance agent in your area. They will have access to several companies.

Your largest exposure will be your equipment and auto.
Be sure they provide coverage for your gear away from your premise if you plan on taking your camera anywhere with you.:greenpbl:

Some personal auto carrier exclude any "business" activities (you are on your way to take some shots and hit someone) and can deny coverage. Commercial auto insurance will have a higher limit than personal and will can cover you for Business and Personal exposures. If only have one car on your personal insurance and decide to move to a commercial policy, make sure to ask about Driver other Car coverage.

In NM a policy with about 10k in property and 1mm in liability coverage would run you about 500 dollars a year. The auto would be about another 1200 a year for a mill limit (this is estimates for my state ONLY)

Another type of insurance that you should think about which would not be covered on your liability would be Professional. I am not sure what type of exposure you would have...the only thing i can think of is weddings and maybe one time events like that, but lets say you did a wedding and somehow messed the pictures up so bad that your client sues you because they entrusted you to be a professional and provide them with nice photos....that would not be covered on the liability policy a separate policy would have to be purchased..and I have no idea how much that would be.

Ok Insurance Nerd moment over :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back