How do you know when it is time to start charging?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wondering if you can look at my website and at my work and tell me if you think I should start charging. All of these photos have been taken for free, I've given complete print release and burned all photos on a CD for the couples/families.

I just don't know if I'm ready but I feel like I'm not gaining anything by not charging?

I absolutely LOVE doing this, so right now, I do not need money, however it would be nice to be able to get some gear, lighting, stands, umbrella's, off camera flash, and be able to support my habit via charging a fee?

I'm thinking something really low, like 25 dollars, which includes the session and images on a Cd with a signed model release. Also giving them a print release

How did you start charging for sessions?

CrystalBellePhotography

That's too low. How much do you value your time. Sorry but I think if you want to be taken seriously you should value yourself more. I'm not saying go out and charging an arm and a leg. People will like your work or won't. And if you explain the process to them, seeing that you charge say $50 to $100 for a sitting fee, editting on some images and the cd itself is no more than what Walmart/Sears etc. You have talent/skill and invest time in this and should charge for it. I have seen much of your work, posts on here and this isn't meant to come across as bit#%y. Wishing you lots of luck.

Just wanted to add that confidence in yourself will help to sell YOU the photographer to the person. You need to have confidence in yourself if you expect others too as well. Hope you understand what I mean by that too and it doesn't come off as totally snotty. :hug::

I agree my time is worth money, however I guess I feel the need to build up a business presence. I'm very shy and only this past session with the couple, I actually found myself being 100% in control of the session. Explaining my ideas and taking their ideas and directing them on the best shots I believed I could get.

I agree my time is worth money, however I guess I feel the need to build up a business presence. I'm very shy and only this past session with the couple, I actually found myself being 100% in control of the session. Explaining my ideas and taking their ideas and directing them on the best shots I believed I could get.

Well then I guess you need to set a goal in mind to building up your business presence and then re-evaluate. If you feel that you still need to work on that I guess wait until your ready. Either way good luck.

:) but how do you know when you are ready! haha I know the answer is when you feel ready, but I've seen great work and then I see some websites and look at their work and think OMG huh? Someone PAID for that?

$25? :lmao:

Start charging whenever you are ready to become legit, and your photos are (at a minimum) better than average. Whenever you are ready to deal with taxes, licenses, contracts, etc...

Also, shortselling yourself now, will prove difficult to get proper rates later. Trust me.

Look up other photogs in your area. Get an idea where you fit in and the pricing. In the KC area I've seen them go from a man with camera for $25 a shoot to full blown studios at $300 an hour or more. Now where do you fit in. Compare their photos to yours, their ideas to yours. Add up everything you need as far as equipment and add that to it. Where do you stand then. What is your long range, short range goals? Your business plan?

I suggest that you start charging because the materials you are using are not free, I'm sure. You're also buying your materials in market and your own money is what you are spending. So start charging even to gain back your capital if you think you are not ready to get into the business.

How come no one told me I spelled Portfolio wrong? I had it spelled Porfolio. lol gha!

You are asking about when are you ready, I think based solely on photography skills.

What are your business skills.
Do you have your invoices, cards, letterhead, etc... ready?
This includes your logo if you are going to have one.
Have you contacted a lawyer, accountant, insurance company?
Have you set up a bank account to deal with this?
What are your business policies going to be? How are you going to treat the different issues that will come up as you move into business?

None of the above deal with your photography skills, but I can tell you will put you out of business faster than poor photography skills.

KMH - Keith usually seems like a stick in the mud, but he is so correct. Is there a photography association in your area? Have you even looked?

Start getting the information for all of this, and then tell us if you are interested in really going into business.

I train people in the electrical industry, one of the training aspects is to help them go into business. It is staggering to see how little about business they know when they come to me.

Your website is not set up for business yet. Is that your home address on the site? If so, do you really want to publish to the world where you live???? Same with the phone number, you may want to set up a separate phone number.

It should not be my home address.

I just have my city/state listed and I paid for Domain by Proxy for whois.com

I have my logo, I have business cards, I've dealt with customer service my entire life, my family owns a business and has given me much experience on that side.

I don't have business insurance. Where would I find that?

I do have a tax ID number and all that good jazz for the IRS.

I do have a bank account that I plan on changing to my business account when/if I start to charge people.

Also, shortselling yourself now, will prove difficult to get proper rates later. Trust me.

To expand on this very good point - if you build yourself a client base of $25 customers you'll only get $25 customers - they might net you more customers (word of mouth) and you can advertise to get more - but they will all be $25 customers.

If you then up your game to say $50 or $100 to "go serious" you'll lose that entire customer base. You'll end up having to start again getting new customers in the door from advertising (new advertising as well - not just a price update on your adverts, but targeting new areas to advertise and even new advert designs) and having to build a whole new base of higher paying customers to get word of mouth out there.

In effect you end up having to do everything all over again - the only bonus being that you might pick up some experience whilst working in the lower budget areas (both camera, but more importantly customer and business experience). Of course this experience is offset by the fact that if you remain in the same working area you might have trouble upping your prices - especially if your work starts to make big improvements later on - because those early poorer shots will be out there and talking for you - as will you earlier lower price adverts.
So there is some risk in starting off at a low end of the buget scale.

My advice would be to build yourself to a point where camera and business wise you are able to make it into a serious venture (tax etc...) and to shift into working properly (maybe not all hours of the week, but at least on a part time basis between your regular job for example) and to charge at a competitive, but working rate.

It should not be my home address.

I just have my city/state listed and I paid for Domain by Proxy for whois.com

I have my logo, I have business cards, I've dealt with customer service my entire life, my family owns a business and has given me much experience on that side.

I do have a tax ID number and all that good jazz for the IRS.

I do have a bank account that I plan on changing to my business account when/if I start to charge people.

That is a good start, especially what I 'colored blue'.
The reason for consulting with a lawyer, is he/she can help you draft a contract that will protect you. And it is a good start to develop a relationship with one, you never know when it will come in handy.
(I have a lawyer who specializes in Construction/Electrical - he has helped many of the guys who come my way for help.)

Here is a link to an amazon page that has some books that may help you as well.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=photography+business+books&ih=20_8_1_0_1_2_0_1_0_1.142_284&fsc=29]Amazon.com: photography business books: Books[/ame]

As I mentioned, I have seen too many go out of business, losing a lot of money, because they lacked the skills to run their business.
*Not to be a damper, just a precaution - 1 lawsuit could ruin you, so protect yourself. I tell this to all prospective business owners, because people are nice to you until something goes wrong, then.........

BTW: GOOD LUCK!:mrgreen:

Google, Yellow Pages, Local Small Business Association...

Most of the big name insurance companies, like State Farm, have business insurance. I don't think a photography business is something that needs "special" insurance, like my business does. So it won't be hard to find.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back