How do you know when it's time to upgrade?

BeansproutsPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my Canon Rebel XS for about a year and a half, and although I'm very critical of my own photos, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated in general and I'm not sure if it's the limitations of the camera or my technique? My biggest complaint is not nailing the focus when taking pictures of a moving child. I use autofocus when photographing my children for portraits because I just cannot see well enough through the viewfinder to tell where the focus lies. Often, the images look fine when I review the LCD, but when I download them, the focus falls somewhere else and ruins what would otherwise have been a beautiful shot. It's maddening. I've noticed that the camera likes to "keep searching" for another focal point and often shoots blurry photos as a result, because it doesn't believe I know what I want to focus on. It's even happening when I use the auto modes- not just in manual. The only time the darn thing seems to work well is in full sunlight. Any thoughts?

I'm saving for the 7D. Does anyone have any input for me on this camera-good or bad?

Thanks. :)

I've had my Canon Rebel XS for about a year and a half, and although I'm very critical of my own photos, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated in general and I'm not sure if it's the limitations of the camera or my technique? My biggest complaint is not nailing the focus when taking pictures of a moving child. I use autofocus when photographing my children for portraits because I just cannot see well enough through the viewfinder to tell where the focus lies. Often, the images look fine when I review the LCD, but when I download them, the focus falls somewhere else and ruins what would otherwise have been a beautiful shot. It's maddening. I've noticed that the camera likes to "keep searching" for another focal point and often shoots blurry photos as a result, because it doesn't believe I know what I want to focus on. It's even happening when I use the auto modes- not just in manual. The only time the darn thing seems to work well is in full sunlight. Any thoughts?

I'm saving for the 7D. Does anyone have any input for me on this camera-good or bad?

Thanks. :)

7d is a horrible camera....run away from this one.

Kidding...actually almost all the reviews I've heard about the 7d have been very positive so I'm sure it will be a great choice.

What are your thoughts on the XS that I have? Based on my other post, does it sound like I've outgrown it, or that my technique might need work? I know it's several models back but it's still on the market, I believe.

It sounds to me that your technique needs to be improved, as does your understanding of how the camera's various auto focus modes works.

How are you utilizing your focus points?
There are 7 with my model. I use all 7/ AI Focus for action shots and just one/One Shot mode when taking portraits, using the inside corner of the eye as my target.

Do you see more missed focus with using all 7, or the center?

I had an XSi, and pretty much only used the center point, and never seemed to have a problem. Using all points/auto, was sketchy.

Only the center point is sensitive to horizontal and vertical contrast, and is the most sensitive. The outer points sense horizontal or vertical contrast to focus, but not both.

Is that helpful, or info you already know?

I use a single point, though not necessarily the center one all the time. I will have to see if I have better luck using the center vs a different single point. Often, I'm using the one just to the right or the left of the center.

It sounds to me that your technique needs to be improved, as does your understanding of how the camera's various auto focus modes works.

Care to elaborate or were you just itching to belittle someone looking for information on how to improve?

What lenses are you using, btw.
I found the kit or prosumer (cheap) lenses dissapointing as far as sharpness goes. They do have their sweetspots, though. It wasn't until using better lenses that I realized the softness wasn't the camera.

How are you utilizing your focus points?
There are 7 with my model. I use all 7/ AI Focus for action shots and just one/One Shot mode when taking portraits, using the inside corner of the eye as my target.

There is your problem, try just using the center focus point, AI servo, AI Focus is no good for moving targets

I found the kit or prosumer (cheap) lenses dissapointing as far as sharpness goes. They do have their sweetspots, though. It wasn't until using better lenses that I realized the softness wasn't the camera.

I've noticed it too. I rarely use my kit lens. I do notice it with the 50mm f/1.4. (Not sure what you're referring to as "cheap"-if that would include the 50mm or not. I rarely open it up though, because I have enough trouble nailing the focus consistently. I try to never go wider than f/4.5 on a portrait unless lighting is an issue, so I don't think I can blame it on the razor thin depth of focus. Regarding lighting, another issue I have is that I notice more noise than I care to see if I use > 200 ISO, so that's generally the last thing I tweak to get my exposure.

Blech, I think I just want a new camera. :lol:

I've noticed it too. I rarely use my kit lens. I do notice it with the 50mm f/1.4. (Not sure what you're referring to as "cheap"-if that would include the 50mm or not. I rarely open it up though, because I have enough trouble nailing the focus consistently. I try to never go wider than f/4.5 on a portrait unless lighting is an issue, so I don't think I can blame it on the razor thin depth of focus. Regarding lighting, another issue I have is that I notice more noise than I care to see if I use > 200 ISO, so that's generally the last thing I tweak to get my exposure.

Blech, I think I just want a new camera. :lol:

A new camera will not cure your problem, your camera settings and technique that are the problem
The canon 50F1.4 has no trouble tracking a target, this was shot with an old 10D and 50mmF1.4
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Sports-Portfolio/winnerCRW0138/577327860_Emrp5-L.jpg
and wide open at F1.4
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Competitions/Miscellaneous/Jane/355535220_YYB5A-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back