How Important is ...

I'm not as radical as Battou but, eh.

I'm not radical, I was just in one of those moods where I felt the need to be an ass hole...but anywho...

I do like to see comments on my Photo threads, be they good or bad. To me it's an indicator that it has been seen, that is all I want, As a Spam bot I kinda need that. Never the less I do believe in "my camera, my vision, my way" you don't like it so be it....And STFU about the niose in my imagery....

I've been taking photos for more than 35 years now, so - while still only an amateur - I can no longer present myself as a newbie to the hobby.

However, I still find encouragement pleasing. And inspiring.
And it is encouragement, more than critique, that spurns creativity inside me.

That said, and keeping Battou's words in mind, I'd much sooner just disappear than get better if I were only told that I suck.

And I am definitely NOT the kind of person as was described by Jerry, with a weaker personality, no knowledge and a low self-esteem! But I like encouragement and feel it carries me farther, all the same!

I like the encouragement that people give me for the work I do. Even more so from other photographers, praise without understanding the medium is kind of pointless.

One of my favorite kinds of encouragement is in PP, when I don't have to touch the exposure slider, fill, or blacks sliders, I get stoked. Cuz technically it means that I grasp what I'm doing to an extent that I can do it quite regularly now. But having to slide them anywhere brings me down a peg or two, though I quickly bounce back.

As far as photography goes, or anything artistic that I do, I don't really need encouragement to succeed. I would say that I would need more critique than encouragement if I'm unsure how to do something or if I know I've done something wrong and need to know how to improve. But then again there's a difference between critique and just plain being rude. The only praise I'd look for is if my work were actually for someone and I would hope that they were happy with my work. If it were for me only and it came out the way I like it then that's all that really matters to me. But we all need an ego boost every now and then ;)

But with other aspects of my life I would say that encouragement is needed at times but not important. I usually find it in myself to either push harder or just plain fail. But when I do get encouraged, it often times gives me that extra oomph to try just that much harder to succeed.

Sometimes it limits my creativity. If someone really praises a shot for its artistic style, rather than technical quality, I have a tendency to get stuck in a redundent rut of that style. I know I have done that and try not to let myself fall into that anymore. Still, that is the one trap of encouragement that I would warn others of.

And I am definitely NOT the kind of person as was described by Jerry, with a weaker personality, no knowledge and a low self-esteem! But I like encouragement and feel it carries me farther, all the same!

He just thinks he knows what he's talking about- I suspect it's part of what appears to be excessive OCPD.

I believe after a certain point, critique becomes an excercise in negativity, which sadly enough, many become addicted to either giving or receiving. The concentration is on the negative rather than positive growth.

Not really important to me.... as someone who sees photography as a hobby. I find enjoyment in photography regardless but I do appreciate it when it is offered. Encouragement from those I know personally is far more valuable.

If I were a professional trying to start a photography business, yes.. I think encouragement would be very helpful to get through the tough start of any new business.

Those that NEED encouragement often don't have the inner strength and fortitude to acheive in the arts. To NEED encouragement is to try to fill a void from external sources. That need should be filled from WITHIN.

Those that NEED encouragement often still need a mommy and daddy emotionally. It is a character flaw.

Ansel Adams, Paul Strand, Alfred Steiglitz, Henri Cartier-Bresson, and many other masters had an inner drive, an inner source, a blind ambition. And often their early work was past off as boolsheet. What others thought was of little consequence to them.

Encouragement in and of it's self is not a bad thing. I like encouragement, but the difference is is that I don't NEED it.

It is sad to see adults that need a surragate mommy or daddy to talk them into their photography. They make mistakes and they go off and pout, some even cry, hoping someone will rescue them.

What these weak individuals refuse to understand is that it is actually the burning criticism, the unvarnished truth, that can be the most valuable "encouragement" one can receive. My first few weddings were absolute sheet. The pro I asked to critique my work gave me the raw naked truth about my comps: "these comps are absolute craaap...what were you thinking...".

Now I could've reacted in two different ways: Go away and pout and hope my girlfriend or mommy or daddy would "rescue" me and tell me that that pro dude is an "A-hole" and that my work is "supreme, awesome, and wonderful". Or, I could take trhe pro's words to heart and be objective about it and try to find the truth that may be in his words. I chose the latter and feel better for it.

If you are an adult and reading this, don't be needy ;-) Encourage yourself because it's nobody elses job to do that but yours.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter to me, I love photography but I am more of a recorder than a photographer, I record life and places around me. If I get a photograph I think is good I may show it off, if people don't agree that it is good that is no big deal, I recorded the image for my pleasure and for future generations to see life as I saw it, compositional perfection is rarely my goal.

Seems like a lot of bravado is being slung about.

Yes lots of bravado. The type often found in successful people. Some call it "blind ambition", others "burning in the bossom". It's the kind of bravado that most self-made millionaires had when their first 2, 4 or 7 enterprises failed. Donald Trump had so much bravado that he went from riches, to poverty to riches to poverty to riches. Bravado allowed Prince to turn his noise into million dollar income. Bravado kept me in the wedding game long after my 5th sucky wedding. When everyone else thought I should get out of that business, bravado kept me in and in time it paid off.

For nearly every successful man or woman, there is often a long, long history of failures.

If you call belief in one's self "bravado" so be it and I plead guilty ;-)

I believe so too.

Those that NEED encouragement often don't have the inner strength and fortitude to acheive in the arts. To NEED encouragement is to try to fill a void from external sources. That need should be filled from WITHIN.

Those that NEED encouragement often still need a mommy and daddy emotionally. It is a character flaw.

Ansel Adams, Paul Strand, Alfred Steiglitz, Henri Cartier-Bresson, and many other masters had an inner drive, an inner source, a blind ambition. And often their early work was past off as boolsheet. What others thought was of little consequence to them.

Encouragement in and of it's self is not a bad thing. I like encouragement, but the difference is is that I don't NEED it.

It is sad to see adults that need a surragate mommy or daddy to talk them into their photography. They make mistakes and they go off and pout, some even cry, hoping someone will rescue them.

What these weak individuals refuse to understand is that it is actually the burning criticism, the unvarnished truth, that can be the most valuable "encouragement" one can receive. My first few weddings were absolute sheet. The pro I asked to critique my work gave me the raw naked truth about my comps: "these comps are absolute craaap...what were you thinking...".

Now I could've reacted in two different ways: Go away and pout and hope my girlfriend or mommy or daddy would "rescue" me and tell me that that pro dude is an "A-hole" and that my work is "supreme, awesome, and wonderful". Or, I could take trhe pro's words to heart and be objective about it and try to find the truth that may be in his words. I chose the latter and feel better for it.

If you are an adult and reading this, don't be needy ;-) Encourage yourself because it's nobody elses job to do that but yours.

Sheesh, I just asked if it were important in your development, not for a detailed rationalization of your bitterness.

So let me see if I got you straight on this, encouragement is nothing and it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks anyway, well, unless it's a critique and you're given negative feedback, then it matters, and anyone that doesn't care to think the way you think is needy?

A simple "no" would have sufficed, but obviously you needed to talk that one out a bit.

I believe so too.

Sheesh, I just asked if it were important in your development, not for a detailed rationalization of your bitterness.

So let me see if I got you straight on this, encouragement is nothing and it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks anyway, well, unless it's a critique and you're given negative feedback, then it matters, and anyone that doesn't care to think the way you think is needy?

A simple "no" would have sufficed, but obviously you needed to talk that one out a bit.

Perhaps in your case I should have simply posted a picture. Too bad you don't tolerate other views. I would suggest college. It can teach one how to hold adult conversations.

Have a blessed evening ;-)

I stick to my initial statement: encouragement just feels good.
This does not say whether I need it, or that negative criticism would make me run home to mummy with my dollies, but it feels nice, and I am CONVINCED that most who post their photos online on a forum such as this one deep down inside HOPE for someone to come by and say they like this and that and that about their photos!
For, indeed, that is merely HUMAN.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back