How many people like music?

How much do you like music?

• Yes I love music, I'm a fanatic.

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • I like listening to the radio, not really into it that much.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I'm a musician myself.

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
I absolutely love music - it's a part of everything! I play the piano but don't consider myself a musician (especially when I listen to JM and a few others in my family). But if I had the musical talent those people had, I would definitely strive to be a musician!

I enjoy music from time to time...but the whole POP & Hip Hop culture has turned me off of contemporary music.

I have a small collection of CDs & MP3s that I listen to, when I'm in the mood...but for the most part, I listen to sports talk radio rather than music.

core_17 said:
Alright...well...it's still early, and I was gonna wait til later when I have a better chance of making sense...but..meh...whatever...I'll attempt now.

First, I didn't vote correctly in the poll, because I don't think any of those describe me exactly. I wouldn't describe myself as a fanatic, but I do love music. I would describe the fanatics as those of you who have 40 posts in every one of the music threads that get posted on here. But...I also don't fit into the 'not really into it that much' or 'I'm a musician' categories.

Do I have a favorite artist? I have before, but now, not really...there are tons that I love in a wide array of genres. I've grown up listening to country, so that's definitely what I listen to the most. But...I like older rock and metal a lot, too, along with some more pop-ish/ alternative type stuff...older stuff there, too, mostly. Oh...I like a lot of much older stuff, too...songs like 'Son of a Preacher Man" and "Can't take my eyes off of you" (an all time fave).

Recently, thanks to Joe and Lilman, I've gotten into classical, too. "The Red Violin" by Joshua Bell is just about the absolute most beautiful music I've ever heard.

For the most part, when it comes to individual favorite songs, I like things I can sing to (even though I suck at singing and have an ugly voice)...because...just like you said about music changing your mood...it does that same to me, but actually singing does so even more. Not much can put me in as good of a mood as singing can. So...that being true, much of the music I have is country...and it's country from the 90's! One my repeating playlist lately, (as chat knows all too well) is...

Fishin' in the Dark -Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
To make you feel my love -Garth Brooks
My Baby Loves Me -Martina McBride (that's also my ringtone when Erik calls! :lol: )
Meet in the Middle -Diamond Rio
Son of a Preacher Man -uh..can't remember..is that Aretha?
Can't take my eyes off of you -Frankie Vallie
She don't know she's beautiful -Sammy Kershaw
....and about 20 others.

So...I don't think I fall into any of your categories, but I think I love music.

HAHA. You wrote a book about music. You voted wrong.

Big Mike said:
I enjoy music from time to time...but the whole POP & Hip Hop culture has turned me off of contemporary music.

I have a small collection of CDs & MP3s that I listen to, when I'm in the mood...but for the most part, I listen to sports talk radio rather than music.

I'm not talking about liking pop music or even what kind of music you like at all.

I'm simply asking if you neeeeed music in your life. Like I bought an iPod before a digital camera. Why, because I want to take my music everwhere. And on a break from work, if I listen to a few tunes, it actually makes me more motivated to go back to work.

Music has an affect on my everyday life.

Some people just don't care about music.

They know it's there, but they just don't love it like I do, or in this case....we do.

bace said:
I'm not talking about liking pop music or even what kind of music you like at all.

I'm simply asking if you neeeeed music in your life. Like I bought an iPod before a digital camera. Why, because I want to take my music everwhere. And on a break from work, if I listen to a few tunes, it actually makes me more motivated to go back to work.

Music has an affect on my everyday life.

Some people just don't care about music.

They know it's there, but they just don't love it like I do, or in this case....we do.

The point was that POP & HIP HOP (& other talentless crap), have caused me to like/want/need music much less. There were times in my life when I cared a lot more about music. Listening to the radio, buying tapes/CDs, lineing up to buy concert tickets...

Now, I can't be bothered...and spending money on music just seems ludicrous to me. I guess I'm just not in the demographic that you are trying to poll...but this is my two cents anyway :greenpbl:

i have zero musical talent, i had to fake-play the recorders in grammar school, so i have a lot of respect for anybody that has musical talent. I like music, but i'm not a fanatic. I like many genres but i really love raw, live, unplugged type performances... like the stuff you see on Austin City Limits on public television. i really like songs with solos that showcase a member of the bands talent (guitar, fiddle, drums). I like going to broadways, i like big band/swing, bluegrass, stevie ray vaughn, and i listen to the more popular stuff (country, rock, alternative) too.

I am going to see Stomp for the second time on April 1st, those people amaze me... making music with trash.

I was really into buying CDs when i was younger and had a nice sound system in my car, but once i got into photography, there was just no more $$$ for music... and i'm fine with that. ;)

Big Mike said:
The point was that POP & HIP HOP (& other talentless crap), have caused me to like/want/need music much less.

I personally think that is just ignorant. you may not like those types of music but you can't say as a genre that the music is talentless. I'd like you to find 5 musicians with better lyrics than nas on "N.Y. State of Mind" or an 5 artisits that can make more people happier than say Madonna.

With all music there are good and bad artisits. just like rock, reggae, blues, classical. I think that to say they are talentless is just wrong, you may not like them but that is a different matter.

I don't see how anyone can't like music it's one of those things. Like no one dislikes food. I listne to many hours of music every day and enjoy a broad range of music.

Daniel said:
I personally think that is just ignorant. you may not like those types of music but you can't say as a genre that the music is talentless. I'd like you to find 5 musicians with better lyrics than nas on "N.Y. State of Mind" or an 5 artisits that can make more people happier than say Madonna.

With all music there are good and bad artisits. just like rock, reggae, blues, classical. I think that to say they are talentless is just wrong, you may not like them but that is a different matter.

I don't see how anyone can't like music it's one of those things. Like no one dislikes food. I listne to many hours of music every day and enjoy a broad range of music.

Oh hush. I'm sure Mikes only exposure to any hip hop has been through the radio.

How often to you hear Nas's tunes on the radio?

The crap that you hear on the radio is pretty talentless and usually appeals to the lowest common denominator. I'm sure if you gave Mike the lyrics to a lot of good hip hop, he'd appreciate the quality of the writing. Still doens't mean he's gonna like the music.

Ignorant is a strong word. I don't think Mike is ignorant, and neither do you.

Ah! The age old discussion....judging art.

Totally dig music, I get excited when I find a 'new' completely obscure artist...and am completely addicted to my mp3 player.

Talent is all relative. I think calling pop and hip-hop 'talentless crap' is a very ignorant statement (especially coming from a country music fan ;) ). For the most part, I think most music takes some sort of talent. Britney Spears has some talent...it may not be in songwriting or playing an instrument, but she can kinda sing, has great dance moves, and extort millions of dollars out of people's pockets every year. Just because it makes mainstream radio doesn't automatically make it 'talentless'.

But I also agree with Bace, it seems most of the music being played on the radio these days (even back in the day) appeal to the lowest common denominator, it fails to challenge us music lovers, that why we look elsewhere.

rock on!
dave

You're right, that was a pretty ignorant statement. The truth is that I don't bother to find the good stuff in most music genre's. What I hate, is the whole industry that is music...and how it idolizes these 'artists'. I just want to put a spray of bullets into a crowd, every time I see some joker with $1,000,000 worth of bling...and throngs of people clamouring to give them more money...and generally buying into the hype.

Why should so called 'artists' be making millions and millions of dollars? I guess if they can successfully separate so many fools from their money...good for them...but I think it's a tragic consequence of our modern society.

Big Mike said:
You're right, that was a pretty ignorant statement. The truth is that I don't bother to find the good stuff in most music genre's. What I hate, is the whole industry that is music...and how it idolizes these 'artists'. I just want to put a spray of bullets into a crowd, every time I see some joker with $1,000,000 worth of bling...and throngs of people clamouring to give them more money...and generally buying into the hype.

Why should so called 'artists' be making millions and millions of dollars? I guess if they can successfully separate so many fools from their money...good for them...but I think it's a tragic consequence of our modern society.

One reason I got out of the music industry is because of the change in the music. Nobody cared to see 4 guys who actually play their instruments, sing original tunes, without sampling somebody elsed music, go on stage and play anymore. I spent a lot of years playing bars, and putting a lot of our own money into recording to get gigs. Only to find people were more interested in seeing a guy scratch a record. It was just the way it went. All the clubs we played, eventually closed down. There was no more passion for the music anymore. No more instruments. It became all electronic. But where is the dividing line between something created electronically, or something that is actually played on a guitar, or violin, or piano. I dont see a lot of talent in some guy making a million dollars to spin a record backwards to make scratching noises.

Chiller said:
One reason I got out of the music industry is because of the change in the music. Nobody cared to see 4 guys who actually play their instruments, sing original tunes, without sampling somebody elsed music, go on stage and play anymore. I spent a lot of years playing bars, and putting a lot of our own money into recording to get gigs. Only to find people were more interested in seeing a guy scratch a record. It was just the way it went. All the clubs we played, eventually closed down. There was no more passion for the music anymore. No more instruments. It became all electronic. But where is the dividing line between something created electronically, or something that is actually played on a guitar, or violin, or piano. I dont see a lot of talent in some guy making a million dollars to spin a record backwards to make scratching noises.

Amen! And I'd bet that the record scratcher is feeling the same way about guys using solely computers to create their music. It's a downward spiral.

Chiller said:
Neither do I. Because at that point the talent lies only with one's ability to spin oneself, to cash in on the latest fad.

That's not music. That's the music industry. :razz: It's a rarity when the latter actually supports the former.

Give me some musicians who can write, play and sing! I'll be there to toast you on, in whatever crappy little venue still has someone at the door to collect my cover charge and stamp my wrist. :D

I would have loved to hear your band, Carl. I've no doubt you rawked. ;)

I'm a super fanatic. Being a musician is definately part of it. I don't stick to any genre but I will go through phases where I will listen to something almost exclusively. Right now I've been on a hell of a roots-country, alt-country, bluegrass kick. I'm balancing that with some indie stuff. Like the shins, matt costa, jack johnson. Before that I was on my personal second wave of punk/ska.
What's frustrating for me sounds similar to your rant bace. I know so many people that claim to be music lovers but it's only the popular bands. I have nothing against pop bands and quite enjoy them for what they are. But you know if they'd just open their minds to what's really out there the music gets oh so much better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back