How much does equipment count?

britonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.btonkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this question has been asked before and thrashed out a million times in this and other forums but I am interested to know that if I had the skill of a pro photographer (and that's a big if) would I be able to take truly great shots with a modest camera (Nikon D50) and more importantly (as I think it makes more of a difference) the standard 18-55 kit lens?

SO, does anyone have any great pics taken with a D50 and the standard kit lens? I just wanna see what it might be capable of.

Cheers,

Brian

britonk said:
if I had the skill of a pro photographer (and that's a big if) would I be able to take truly great shots with a modest camera (Nikon D50) and more importantly (as I think it makes more of a difference) the standard 18-55 kit lens?

Brian
Wouldn't Kobe Bryant be a superb basketball player on a patched asphalt court wearing $20 sneakers? Equipment imposes some limitations but talent conquers all.

EDIT:

Sorry, just realized you were from the UK.
David Beckham, bumpy field, crappy shoes ... well, you get the idea.

The_Traveler said:
Sorry, just realized you were from the UK.
David Beckham, bumpy field, crappy shoes ... well, you get the idea.

Don't worry I got the idea the first time round ;)

Your right and I agree but more the point of this post is I want to see what the Nikon D50 kit is capable of in the hands of a pro.

Some of those shots by Tom Dempsey are inspiring though, especially if he did shoot them with a compact.

would I be able to take truly great shots with a modest camera (Nikon D50) and more importantly (as I think it makes more of a difference) the standard 18-55 kit lens?
Absolutely. The camera is just a tool...it takes a craftsman and a tool to create something great.

In the big scheme of things, the D50 is near the top, as far as cameras in general go. It's a great tool. The lens, while not not of the line...is certainly capable as well.

Part of being a 'good' or 'knowledgeable' photographer (or anything) is knowing the limitations of your tools and working within them. Another part is knowing when to use the right tool for the job.

I'll give equipment about 10% of the mix overall. Examples would be having a flash when one is necessary or a wide angle lens when nothing else would do. Then I give the other 90% to the photographer.

By the way, the D50 is certainly not a toy. It is an extremely sophisticated instrument capable of making images with the best of them. Good shooting.

Here is a little essay by Michael Reichmann on the topic...for what it's worth.

I don't agree or disagree with him...Personally, I think he's a little out there...but a pretty good photographer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back