How much does equipment count?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by britonk, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. britonk

    britonk TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2006
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, UK
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know this question has been asked before and thrashed out a million times in this and other forums but I am interested to know that if I had the skill of a pro photographer (and that's a big if) would I be able to take truly great shots with a modest camera (Nikon D50) and more importantly (as I think it makes more of a difference) the standard 18-55 kit lens?

    SO, does anyone have any great pics taken with a D50 and the standard kit lens? I just wanna see what it might be capable of.

    Cheers,

    Brian
     
  2. The_Traveler

    The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    Messages:
    18,108
    Likes Received:
    7,456
    Location:
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wouldn't Kobe Bryant be a superb basketball player on a patched asphalt court wearing $20 sneakers? Equipment imposes some limitations but talent conquers all.

    EDIT:

    Sorry, just realized you were from the UK.
    David Beckham, bumpy field, crappy shoes ... well, you get the idea.
     
  3. mysteryscribe

    mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2006
    Messages:
    6,071
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    in the middle of north carolina
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  4. britonk

    britonk TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2006
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, UK
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Don't worry I got the idea the first time round ;)

    Your right and I agree but more the point of this post is I want to see what the Nikon D50 kit is capable of in the hands of a pro.

    Some of those shots by Tom Dempsey are inspiring though, especially if he did shoot them with a compact.
     
  5. Big Mike

    Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2003
    Messages:
    33,821
    Likes Received:
    1,811
    Location:
    Edmonton
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Absolutely. The camera is just a tool...it takes a craftsman and a tool to create something great.

    In the big scheme of things, the D50 is near the top, as far as cameras in general go. It's a great tool. The lens, while not not of the line...is certainly capable as well.

    Part of being a 'good' or 'knowledgeable' photographer (or anything) is knowing the limitations of your tools and working within them. Another part is knowing when to use the right tool for the job.
     
  6. fmw

    fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Messages:
    2,601
    Likes Received:
    137
    I'll give equipment about 10% of the mix overall. Examples would be having a flash when one is necessary or a wide angle lens when nothing else would do. Then I give the other 90% to the photographer.

    By the way, the D50 is certainly not a toy. It is an extremely sophisticated instrument capable of making images with the best of them. Good shooting.
     
  7. gizmo2071

    gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2006
    Messages:
    861
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Toronto, ONT
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not huge advancments from D50 to D70.

    Be in awe of Gilad.
     
  8. Big Mike

    Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2003
    Messages:
    33,821
    Likes Received:
    1,811
    Location:
    Edmonton
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is a little essay by Michael Reichmann on the topic...for what it's worth.

    I don't agree or disagree with him...Personally, I think he's a little out there...but a pretty good photographer.
     

Share This Page