How much more does full frame lenses cost...

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How much would the same lenses cost for a full frame DSLR?

So for example a 50mm 1.4 on a 30D is like $300.

How much more would the Full Frame lense for the 5D cost?

You can use the same lens, there is only one 50mm 1.4, All EF lenses will work on full frame EOS cameras - digital and film, the EF-S lenses will only work on the 300,350,20 & 30D cameras.

Well, the equivalent would be an 85mm which comes as a f/1.2 and f/1.8, the first being $1350 and the latter being $350.

If that is your question. (Now, hopefully I didn't get that information wrong either)

As Tempra explained, a 50mm f/1.4 is a 50mm f/1.4. The difference is that when used on a full-frame camera like the 5D you won't have the crop factor you get on the 30D, instead it will be like using a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera. If you like using a 50mm on the 30D and want the same effective focal length on the 5D, then as Peanuts said you want something like an 85mm.

So basically you don't pay more, because a 50mm lens that's used on a full frame camera isn't a full frame 50mm lens, it's just a 50mm lens. If that makes sense :)

The only lenses that won't work for a full frame 35mm camera or equivalent DSLR are ones with an EF-S mount, or some 3rd party lenses are branded as digital specific lenses. That being said, I have one such 3rd party lens, the Tamron 17-35mm "DI", and it works fine full frame, with only slight vignetting at the corners at 17mm.

Digital Matt said:
I have one such 3rd party lens, the Tamron 17-35mm "DI", and it works fine full frame, with only slight vignetting at the corners at 17mm.

I have the same lens. I believe Tamron's "Di"-branded lenses are designed to work just fine with film cameras. It is only their "Di-II" lenses that are made just for digitals, in a similar manner to the EF-S lenses.

I'd be nervous about experimenting without measuring. A lot of the digital-only lenses stick further into the body; the larger mirror will smack into them.

If you want to know what a lens will be like on the smaller sensor bodies, multiply the focal length by 1.6.

DocFrankenstein said:
They are cheaper than the ones for the crop cameras.
Not true in the slightest. If you wanted to make two lenses with "identical" specs - same speeds, focal lengths, and image quality, it would cost considerably more to manufacture a lens to fill a 35mm sensor than to fill a DX/APC sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back