How much should I pay for a 10d

Automatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a Canon 10D with a couple of lenses and some accessories for C$1500.00 (Canadian dollars) and would like input on whether it's good deal. The details are as follows:

I'm selling this great Digital SRL Camera with 2 lenses (both with UV filters), a grip and 2 memory cards (1G total), also the battery charger that cost $90 and doesn't come with the camera when you buy it. All the software and the original boxes of every single accesory. This equipment is a year old and is in great shape.

Body: Canon EOS 10D
Lense: Canon 22-55mm f/4-5.6 + UV Filter
Lense: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (Macro Super) + UV filter
Battery Grip: Canon BG-ED3
Battery Charger: Canon CB-5L
Memory Card: 2 Compact Flash - 512MB (25X High Performance)
Software: Adobe Photoshop elements 2.0 + Canon software.
All the original boxes.

Thanks

I don't think that is really all that good of a deal...it's probably a fair price but not a steal...Especially for used electronics.

The 10D is/was a decent camera but it's been out of date for a while. I don't think it can even use Canon's EF-S lenses like all the other Canon 1.6 crop cameras (Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, 20D & 30D).

The grip is nice to have. I don't know why you would need a $90 charger though. The two lenses are OK but not great.

One thing about used digital camera (DSLRs especially) is that they may be getting worn out. The way a lot of people shoot with digital...it may have been fired half a million times by now.

If you know it to be in good condition a well taken care of...then that would be a positive. I would consider looking at a Rebel XT or maybe a 20D if you can find it in stock somewhere.

Big Mike said:
I don't think that is really all that good of a deal...it's probably a fair price but not a steal...Especially for used electronics.

The 10D is/was a decent camera but it's been out of date for a while. I don't think it can even use Canon's EF-S lenses like all the other Canon 1.6 crop cameras (Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, 20D & 30D).

The grip is nice to have. I don't know why you would need a $90 charger though. The two lenses are OK but not great.

One thing about used digital camera (DSLRs especially) is that they may be getting worn out. The way a lot of people shoot with digital...it may have been fired half a million times by now.

If you know it to be in good condition a well taken care of...then that would be a positive. I would consider looking at a Rebel XT or maybe a 20D if you can find it in stock somewhere.

The point you brought up about not being able to use the EF-S lenses is an important one. My idea is to buy a somewhat cheaper DSLR and buy good lenses that I would be able to use when I upgrade the body. So the sold with the 10d above are not of value to me but the seller doesn't want to sell them separately.

Well in that case, forget about it. You can buy a new 30D for just over $1500 CDN (maybe cheaper if you order from the US). You could buy a new Rebel XT for $900 (or $1000 with kit lens)...again, maybe cheaper from the US.

If you really just want a cheap used DSLR, you could definitely get a better price. Digital Rebels (D300) are probably going for a few hundred...maybe you could even find a used 20D.

One thing to think about is upgrading to a full frame like the 5D or 1 series bodies. If you think you may someday upgrade to something like that...then you probably don't want to invest in any EF-S glass because they won't work on those cameras.

Big Mike said:
One thing to think about is upgrading to a full frame like the 5D or 1 series bodies. If you think you may someday upgrade to something like that...then you probably don't want to invest in any EF-S glass because they won't work on those cameras.

Sorry but I don't have a clue what a full frame camera is. And what lenses would work on a 30D as well as "full frame " cameras.

Thanks

One more question. I saw a 20D on the buy and sell and the seller told me that there's no easy way of finding the number of actuation on the camera and that the only way is to send it to Canon! Is that true?

Thanks

Automatic said:
One more question. I saw a 20D on the buy and sell and the seller told me that there's no easy way of finding the number of actuation on the camera and that the only way is to send it to Canon! Is that true?
Yes it is.

The deal is bad.

10D is worth about 600-700 canadian MAX and that is for a babied specimen.

The 22-55 is poop. Is worth maybe 50 bucks
The 70-300 is also poop. That one is maybe worth a 100 bucks.

The grip is a 100.

Don't pay more than a grand for it.

Automatic said:
Sorry but I don't have a clue what a full frame camera is. And what lenses would work on a 30D as well as "full frame " cameras.

OK, here is a quick lesson.
Are you familiar with 35mm film? It has been the standard consumer film for a few decades. Camera makers (like Canon & Nikon etc.) have been making 35mm cameras and lenses for many years. Now along comes digital technology and the camera makers come out with Digital SLR cameras (we won't sorry about point & shoot digi-cams). DSLRs are very similar to film SLR cameras except that instead of film behind the shutter, there is a digital sensor.

Point & shoot digital cameras (actually almost all non-SLR digital cameras) have small sensors, about the size of a finger nail. These are cheaper to make but the image quality is not really great. The camera makers put bigger sensors into DSLR cameras...but it was still too expensive to make the sensors the same size as 35mm film. Thus most of the DSLR cameras have sensors that are bigger than the finger nail ones but smaller than 35mm (or full frame) film.

OK, but what does that mean? Well, this is meaningful because since the DSLR cameras are very similar to the film SLR cameras...they can use the same lenses (in most cases). Imagine light coming through a lens...it projects an image circle that is big enough to cover 35mm film (because that's what it was designed for). Now imagine that same image circle but instead of film it's hitting a digital sensor...and the sensor is not a big as the 35mm film. All the sensor is going to see, is a smaller portion in the cetre of the image. Therefore, the image is essentially 'cropped' by the sensor.

"So what?" you say...well you don't really have to worry about this. All you need to do is to put a lens on your camera and shoot what you see. However, you will have trouble seeing a wide view through the camera...because the smaller sensor has cropped off the outsides of the image circle. (this is why camera makes have made special "wide" lenses that have a smaller image circle...Canon EF-S lenses for example.)

As technology gets better, it's getting cheaper to make bigger sensors...and bigger is better. The Canon pro level DSLR cameras (EOS 1D etc) & the EOS 5D, have sensors that are the same size as 35mm film...thus we call them "Full Frame" because they can use the whole image circle from lenses that were made for 35mm film. The digital only EF-S lenses will not work on these cameras...their image circle is just too small. Also, the EF-S lenses stick back into the camera farther than EF lenses...and the mirror would get in the way.

So, back to the original question. The 10D is an odd ball because it has a sensor smaller than 35mm film, yet it was not made to use the digital only EF-S lenses. You could get a 20D or 30D or one of the Digital Rebel cameras that do let you use these EF-S lenses. However, because bigger is better, you might one day want to upgrade to a 'Full Frame' camera...and if you have invested in EF-S lenses...they will not work on the new camera. This is why some people buy cameras like the 20D but don't like to buy EF-S lenses because they want to upgrade to Full Frame someday.

Most reactions

Back