How much should I spend on a UV filter?

Should I fork out the extra money?

• Total voters

RocketDog85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First of all apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't spot it. Also, this is my first post

My question is how much should I spend on a UV filter and is there much difference in quality?

I have always used cheaper filter but recently upgraded my camera to a Canon 6D and treated myself to their 17-40mm L series lens. When I went to buy a UV filter the sales assistant said that if I went for a cheaper option it would reduce the quality of my images and it would be a waste of time having an L series lens in the first place.

He recommended the Hoya Revo - Hoya 77mm Super HMC Pro-1 UV Filter Amazon.co.uk Camera Photo

Is he just trying to get me to spend more or is there any truth in what he is saying?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
DSLRs dont get any benefit from a UV filter as they already have that side of things inbuilt per say.Many buy uv filters as a protection for your lens as opposed to any benefit for photos.

As mentioned, there's no optical advantage to using a UV filter on a digital camera; some say that they offer protection, others disagree. My feeling is that that I want the least number of things in the optical path between the scene and sensor as possible. If you do feel that there are benefits from using one, then buy a good one. The minimum that I would recommend is a B+W (This one). Cheap filters are one of the most common causes of "issues" with images; soft focus, flaring, inaccurate colour rendition to name but a few. From a common sense perspective, Canon spent MILLIONS of dollars on R&D to develop that lens, does it make sense to handicap it with a cheap filter?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
^^^^ I like the looks of the UV filter tirediron suggests in his post above. Why? B+W brand, but also their new MRC, multi-resistant coating. For decades, UV filters have been coated, or even multi-coated, but some of them have been prone to smearing and difficult cleaning. "Some" older filters, like the Hoya HMC line, were just sooooooo prone to smearing when cleaning that it was just ridiculous. Hoya HMC's were probably the worst for cleaning ease,and Nikon's L37C filters, which I used fore a decade or so, were not as bad, but were somewhat difficult to clean.

As I understand it, some of these newer coatings tend to resist water and water spot/mineral formation blemishing. I do not use UV or clear filters much, but I do have a handful of B+W 010 clears that I like, and which have had good, 15-year lifespans (still fine, but not used any more). I myself almost never use a filter to "protect" my front element.

I don't use any UV filters. Never have and I seem to be doing okay haha.

I do however use ND filters and such to block out light.

If you're doing it for protection you really don't need to. The lens hood will provide as much protection as you need. A UV filter won't do your images any good.

This is what UV filters are best used for.

uploadfromtaptalk1435881350309.jpeg

Thanks for your replies! Think I'll save my money and just spend a bit more on my CP filter instead!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back