How much should I spend on some filters?

Vic Vinegar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can maybe afford $70 for a set of filters. I don't need the best of the best because I'm using them for landscape shots so nobody is going to be looking at any individual object very closely.

Define "set of filters" please. What kind of filters? NDs? CPs? Creative? UVs? When you say "set", are you talking about a number of lenses to fit it / them to?

Save your money and wait 'til you can spend a little more; as Buckster indicated, 'a selt of filters' doesn't mean much any more (in B&W film days there were some "standard" sets). The most basic filters for landscape these days are the polarizing filter, and graduated neutral density filter. A decent polarizing filter is going to cost (new) in the neighbourhood of $70 on it's own, and a good one, well over a hundred. If you're buying screw-in filters make sure that you buy those with BRASS mounts and not aluminum. Remember too that even if you're using the cheapest kit lens, it still has probably millions of dollars of R&D behind it and a cheap filter can easily cause very noticable degreadation. This most often takes the form of softness, flaring and unusual colour casts.

I can maybe afford $70 for a set of filters. I don't need the best of the best because I'm using them for landscape shots so nobody is going to be looking at any individual object very closely.
Thats not going to get much in the way of filters. A good set to cover the most common uses can cost upwards of $10K (OK not that much but they are seriously expensive).

Save Save Save

I bought a set of 77mm B+W ND filters screw-in. One at a time.
Then I bought a set of setup rings so I can use my different lenses with those filters.

I'm now looking at a Cokin square filter setup as it's just a bit better for flexibility with different lenses PLUS I can use Soft GND filters.

If you save up a bit you can get the square filters and do it right the first time.

If you need an ND just because it's so bright out side or you need a CPL then go ahead and get one, But think long term if you can.

Do you shoot BW as well as color?

I don't do B&W but that's because I haven't really looked into it, not that I'm against it or anything. If a photo strikes me as looking better in B&W then I'll totally do it that way.

I might wait until I get a steady job before getting the filters if you guys say to wait. I can just bank that $70 and then wait until I can afford the nice square filters or whatever.

I would save up money and get a nice variable ND filter. Polarizer filters are nice to have, but I owned an expensive one and never used it. I personally don't recommend UV or NC filters, unless you are in a dusty environment. But I know a lot of landscape photographers that prefer to use the Cokin graduated filter sets, they are expensive but it will change your landscape photography forever.

Filters are one of the most highly marked-up, high-profit items in the entire camera business, so shop around. There is a ton of blue sky in new prices. If you can, look for some used filters at larger camera stores; the prices are much more affordable. Many filters are bought, used a few times, then shelved, and eventually sold back to large retailers.

I use my UV filters all the time.

uploadfromtaptalk1428624760951.jpeg

After a lot of research and thinking I've ended up with a Marumi DHG Super PLD CPL, Kood 100mm ND/GNDs and a filter holder from The Filter Dude. Still cost me though around £250 so far and by the time I add in a 6 stop ND filter and a pouch to carry it all it will have cost me around £400 all in all.

So yeah, save up a bit more.

Whenever I do buy them, I'm going to try to buy them used. I'm a big used equipment guy which is how I buy my cameras. I don't believe in paying full price for anything really.

Most reactions

Back