How to clean bug guts off a polarizer

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was doing some rolling shots yesterday on a country road doing a follow and chase car routine to capture the motion.

Problem is while i had the lens pointed forward i happend to pick up a massive bug at about 60mph. This thing blew up nicely all over the polarizer and seemed to cake on pretty quick.

I attempted to use a lens cloth to remove it...no dice as it had already dried on nicely.
I used a little spit on the cloth to moisten up the guts and remove most of them. Problem is i now have a nice smear of what looks like oily film on the filter.

I've tried my lens pen, using the carbon end to remove....but not working.

I'm thinking this will need a liquid solution to remove but am wondering what the best bet is.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

3917073797_7a07b21448_b.jpg

Thanks

I know it's not funny, but :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry ...

why not soak it in water to soften up the guts then a lens cloth to shine it back up?

why not soak it in water to soften up the guts then a lens cloth to shine it back up?

Probably should soak it without immersion. I don't think that it's a good idea to completely immerse the filter for any length of time. CPLs are two pieces of glass bonded together. You wouldn't want water to cause the glass to separate.

BE A MAN!

USE STEEL WOOL!!!!

+1 for filter used as protection. ;)

Maybe try putting a few drops of lens cleaner on the spot and let it sit for a while. Like Plato said, don't immerse it in anything though.

I thought I saw it somewhere that you do not really need to drive that fast to get that effect. Maybe even 30 MPH or less. In that case, you will have less bug issue ... (I guess)

You can have people push the car if you have a rig mount. :lol:

I've seen lots of these done at 5-10mph.

i have a rig, and you can get the shot, though it requires a longer shutter so its harder to do during the day without pretty dark ND filters.

you push the car with the rig with the engine off to reduce vibrations but its difficult to do on a public road because you run the risk of other cars. I have done it though a few times.

I figured lens cleaning solution, i just didn't want to make matters worse than they already were, and didn't want to immerse it due to the two rotating pieces. Thanks for the advice guys.

Will simple eye glass cleaner work, or do i need to make a special trip out for photo lens cleaner?

i have a rig, and you can get the shot, though it requires a longer shutter so its harder to do during the day without pretty dark ND filters.

you push the car with the rig with the engine off to reduce vibrations but its difficult to do on a public road because you run the risk of other cars. I have done it though a few times.

I figured lens cleaning solution, i just didn't want to make matters worse than they already were, and didn't want to immerse it due to the two rotating pieces. Thanks for the advice guys.

Will simple eye glass cleaner work, or do i need to make a special trip out for photo lens cleaner?

I wouldn't trust eyeglass cleaner. Eyeglasses are not multicoated and there's no risk of rubbing off the non-existent coatings.

On a bike, bug guts in your teeth is a badge of honor....on your glasses, not so cool. All kidding aside, I wear some expensive Prescription Oakley's when riding. Bug guts get on them and turn hard as cement.

Here's how I get them off, when I really run into a swarm, but don't want to scratch the lenses.

Fill a bowl with Dawn, or another gentle 'grease' removing liquid dish washing liquid, two or three teaspoons full, and water that's just about as hot as your hands can stand. Let the lens cover soak for two or three hours. Turns the bug guts soft, and then you should be able to clean them as you usually do, be it a cloth, lens pen, whatever..

Works for me, anyway, no scratches so far..

J.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back