NoamC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.noamchen.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.

I was wondering what's the secret to photographing the sun and make it appear like a star?
With night images, the answer to getting a star out of a street light in example, is long expsure. But what about the sun?
I assume some of you experienced with it :wink:

By the way, if any of you remember I asked a couple of weeks ago about taking photos at the theatre, well, the assignment I had to do had been cancelled but instead I attended a local concert (pretty much the same lighting conditions), and I was able to use some of the tips I got here. So here's a couple of shots from there, I have a couple more on my link. Thanks :D

2443333657_3e6f5ed0f0.jpg

2444160916_ceb8bdcd27.jpg

2443330999_afbceb3a78.jpg

i think you are talking about the sun-burst. To do that you block the sun, with a tree or something, and just let the side of the sun get past the tree. Talking about a really tiny part of the sun here, but i think thats the way to get it.
And a great set of pics. Would probably have been a better idea to make a seperate thread for those :)

How the sun (or any specular light) looks, will depend on the aperture that you use, and also on the shape of the aperture. Usually, a smaller aperture will give you more of a star burst effect.

Thats the cheap way to do it...if you want the whole sun in the picture you need the 8 point filter. Its just a regular filter you put over your lens to give the sun 8 points of flare.

ps--that girl is CUTE.

Here is a recent thread about the subject: link.

As Mike says, you can get the star effect when the sun is in frame by using a small aperture. The star is the diffraction at the aperture blades.

Best,
Helen

Yup... number of points == number of aperture blades.

... unless there are an odd number of blades, when there will be twice as many points as there are aperture blades. For example 5 blades, 10 points.

Best,
Helen

Hey guys.

I was wondering what's the secret to photographing the sun and make it appear like a star?
With night images, the answer to getting a star out of a street light in example, is long expsure. But what about the sun?
I assume some of you experienced with it :wink:

F/22.

Either a small aperture or a starburst filter. I've used both methods.

f/22, an example :

_MG_0496.jpg

Most reactions

Back