How to make a background in a video whiter

confusedjman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am trying to video something yet the background is not coming out as white as it is in real life... any ideas of what to do or check.

I am using a nikon coolpix p7100 in addition a filming tent and 3 fluorescent lights (all daylight bulbs)

Thanks

p.s how can i upload the video to here?

Thanks and have an amazing day.

Show is a diagram of how you have your lights set up. The simple answer to your question is shoot against a white background hand have the background properly lit.

I have a white photography tent and a small white plastic "table" i have 3 "desk lamps" on on the left one on the right and on in front (above the camera)

Any ideas ?

Try typing in “white cyc effect” in Google. Lynda.com has a few classes that explain how to get the white or black cyc look in greater detail. If you are a member go to Lynda.com and type in “Video Production Techniques: Location Lighting”, creating a cyc effect on a white wall

I would use a custom wb.

It sound like you simply need MORE light, and a WHITER light. 3 desk lamps are A-not enough, and B- too yellow (even tough they are 'daylight' bulbs, they are probably not true white). Try a LED source, and do listen to Robin Usagani, perhaps a custom white balance could help.

Take care,

Productora de Video y Fotografía en Bogotá, Colombia.

Getting the correct WB for your bulb is key.

But another thing to consider is the inverse square law, which states that the amount of light reflecting off of something (characterized by diffuse reflection) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

In other words, if you are lighting your subject from the front side, the background will always be further away from the lights than the subject. And if you set your exposure to be correct for the subject (which you should do), then the background will always be underexposed in this scenario.

You can minimize this by keeping the subject closer to the background and/or moving the lights further away, but that also makes the light harder.

The proper solution to getting a truly white background, is to light the background separately. Typically (for say a portrait studio set up) you might have 4 lights. One as a main light, one as a fill light, and then for a white background, you would aim the other two lights at the background (cross lighting it to avoid fall off from side to side).

If your background is a translucent material, you could also try lighting it from behind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back