how to photograph babies/toddlers in a studio setting

Learn the Mickey Mouse 'Hot-dog' song and Elmo song. Jump up and down a lot, bang things and make noise. It is only thing that works with my kids (toddlers)....

Little kids are easy. It's the Tweens who are too cool for this that is tough. Speak to them at eye level, make silly faces and ask them about their favorite toy, cartoon game ect. The remote idea is good as long as you don't notice it in the picture. Letting kids say words that are funny but not usually allowed gets great smiles.... Words like boogie or silly words.

Little kids are easy. It's the Tweens who are too cool for this that is tough. Speak to them at eye level, make silly faces and ask them about their favorite toy, cartoon game ect. The remote idea is good as long as you don't notice it in the picture. Letting kids say words that are funny but not usually allowed gets great smiles.... Words like boogie or silly words.
Lol. I can see it now. "Ok Mandy, smile for the camera. Say sphincter!"

Probably a good thing I'm an amateur, I'd get myself way too much trouble otherwise.

So far at least I haven't had to deal with tweens myself, everyone who's asked me for portraits has been either family's with little kids or senior pictures.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

what do i do to make them sit still or look at me?
You can't make them sit still. Good luck.

They will look at you if you are doing or saying something interesting.

Personally, I think you should want them to look at the lens, not you, but if you're fairly close to the lens, then looking at you might work.

Also personally, I would not act up or do anything out of the ordinary. Children are smart enough to see through it all.

They might respond to a toy being manipulated on or near the lens. There is something called a "lens buddy" if I recall correctly. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2uvhdha3lr_e

There again, the children will look at it only if it is interesting to them. So perhaps you get one of them to look at it, but not the other children. Good luck.

I'm curious; what made you try for this job, and what made somebody decide to hire you?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back