How to shrink pictures?

rwalsh81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I wanted to upload some pictures I took on my SL1 but I'm being told they're too big. Tried on this forum and some other pictures to another forum. Is there any way to change the size without photo shop? I'm doing most work from an iPad Pro if that helps to point into the right direction.

Thanks.

Do you have an editing software? The one I use allows me to select the size and type of the file as I export.

I don't. What would you recommend?

Do you only have the iPad or do you have a computer as well?

The "Photos" app won't allow changing the resolution (it will let you crop an image or change it's aspect ratio... but that's not the same as resampling the image to a different resolution.)

There are image resizer apps that you can get. Just do a search on the app store and you'll find quite a few hits (some are free... some are not). I typically do all my editing on my Mac and not on my iPad so I haven't actually tried any of these image resizing apps myself.

I do have a MacBook air but I don't pull it out unless I have to.

I don't. What would you recommend?

ANY edit app will have the ability to resize images.

I was surprised to learn that's not necessarily the case on the mobile tablet apps. Apple's "Photos" app on the iPad has no ability to resize (you can crop, but you can't resize). Adobe's Lightroom Mobile offers just two sizes (only visible when you perform an export/share) one of which is "Maximum Available" resolution and the other is "Small - 2048px" -- you can't pick your own size. Photoshop Mix on the iPad has no option to resize at all (I was surprised that Adobe's own apps were lacking these features.)

On a regular computer... just about any photo editing app would have the ability to resize. Apparently it's not high priority to include such a feature in the iPad versions of these apps.

..........On a regular computer... just about any photo editing app would have the ability to resize. Apparently it's not high priority to include such a feature in the iPad versions of these apps.

Maybe Apple figures their users can't figure out resizing............. :Clown:

GIMP is a free photo program. GIMP.org. I have only played with it. But very similar to Photoshop.

IrfanView is another one.

So I wanted to upload some pictures I took on my SL1 but I'm being told they're too big. Tried on this forum and some other pictures to another forum.
It's likely that the file size is to big and not the image resolution.
Image resolution is the pixel dimensions of the photo xxxx by xxxx pixels.
File size is the Mb (mega bytes).

You can also post them to Flickr, then share here with a link.

If you bought your camera new then it came with software. You may need to go to Canon's site and put in your camera's serial number but it is there, it is free and it will let you resize your images.

So I wanted to upload some pictures I took on my SL1 but I'm being told they're too big. Tried on this forum and some other pictures to another forum. Is there any way to change the size without photo shop? I'm doing most work from an iPad Pro if that helps to point into the right direction.

Thanks.
Send the photo to yourself via e-mail. You should have the option of choosing the file size. Large works fine here. Go to your e-mail, open the message with the photo, and right click on the image (two finger tap) and choose export to photos from the menu that opens.

Most reactions

Back