How to start a conversation, that leads to..."here, buy these, and now!"

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tonight at the races, I am going to use a strategy that all the other dirt track photographers use in the area. I have about 200 4x6's printed up, and I'll go around to the drivers before racing begins, and show them the photos...asking if they want any.

The problem: Several drivers don't like this, because there was one photog that would make a scene if you wouldn't buy pictures. He would literally stomp around, and rip up the photo in front of you, and never take your photo again, even in victory lane. That guy actually went off the crazy ledge, believe it or not, and was the reason I got 2 photog jobs :).

So, I want to have a "No Pressure, but You'd Better Buy this" approach :D. How do I begin the conversation? The drivers will be busy getting their cars ready for racing.

I think the concept of "you better buy this" is inherently wrong.

Sometimes, and I am not saying this is you, photographers can get into a mindset of "Why wouldn't they buy it, its a picture of them (or their kid".

I've seen photogs get upset at baseball fields for the same reason, which is why professional photographers are not allowed to take pictures at local little league games anymore... a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

One of the rules of sales are this: The customer chooses to BUY, not to "not buy". Sounds a little confusing, but as much as you should try your best to assume a sale, remember the customer makes a concious decision when they decide to give you some of your hard earned money.

If they choose NOT to buy, there may be several reasons, but the most common is that the "percieved value does not meet the price."

Yes, you and I may very well think that a 4x6 photo of a car going really fast may be worth whatever your going to sell it for, but if the buyer doesn't think so they won't buy.

For instance, if it was a 4x6 photo that you were selling for $100 dollars, they would not percieve the value meeting the cost. However if it was a 20x30 poster of them and the price was $2 dollars, then the percieved value exceeds the cost and you get a sale. Obviously these are two extremes to show you what I mean.

So then, what you need to do is increase the percieved value of the item for sale. How do you do that is up to you! Perhaps start selling 5x7's? Perhaps lower the cost? Perhaps offer something unique that they cannot get anywhere else?

Anyway, all that aside, your question was how to approach them, and if your worry is that they will equate you with the nutjob photographer from the past, I would make it clear from the beginning you are different.

Something like "Hi there, I have some quality photographs I am selling of the race at a discounted price, I know you've probably had some trouble in the past but I assure you that there is no pressure to buy."

(The word discounted means nothing, if they ask what the discount is you tell them the price SHOULD be higher, all that does is increase their percieved value.)

Good Luck!

Thanks.

I didn't state that right, about 'no pressure but you had better buy this'. I meant that in a more comical way. I'd like to emphasize the 'no pressure' part, while still being a good salesman and trying to make a profit.

Give them a 3x5 and offer to sell them a 5x7.

Like anything else you first have to get your intended customers to want your product.

If you don't think that this works, look on street corners and note the wastrels selling what amounts to a prefrontal lobotomy. If they can sell someone their own death, you should be able to sell a few prints. ;)

Give them a 3x5 and offer to sell them a 5x7.

Like anything else you first have to get your intended customers to want your product.

If you don't think that this works, look on street corners and note the wastrels selling what amounts to a prefrontal lobotomy. If they can sell someone their own death, you should be able to sell a few prints. ;)

That is BRILLIANT. I've never thought of simply giving away a single photo. Do you think giving away a 4x6 would satisfy them, or wet their appetites?

That is BRILLIANT. I've never thought of simply giving away a single photo. Do you think giving away a 4x6 would satisfy them, or wet their appetites?

Depends on the photo... :)

And this is where being a good salesman comes in. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but in sales, there are so many tiny nuances about pushing the customer without him feeling pushed. I had a sales job and couldn't do it, I felt so guilty. But that's because I didn't believe in my product. Obviously since you took it, you will, so half the selling battle has been won.

Seriously, though, I'd go with a 3x5. Think about the people who hand out samples at the supermarket. They're bites are only like 1/10th of how big the real deal is, so maybe the same rule applies (talk about crappy logic! :) )

but a 3x5 will cost me MORE than a 4x6.

Eek... Perhaps you can go with the 4x6 and play it by ear. If people seem satisfied with what you have, then go smaller (it will be worth the price if the reaction is different enough). But if you're doing enough business with the 4x6s, then if it isn't broke, don't fix it :)

BTW, I used to live in Springfield. Do you go to Lawrence, or is there a local place in Bolivar?

Eek... Perhaps you can go with the 4x6 and play it by ear. If people seem satisfied with what you have, then go smaller (it will be worth the price if the reaction is different enough). But if you're doing enough business with the 4x6s, then if it isn't broke, don't fix it :)

BTW, I used to live in Springfield. Do you go to Lawrence, or is there a local place in Bolivar?

hehehe

This part of the ozarks needs more camera stores. I have grown to absolutely hate Lawrence Photo & Video. Too often they can't answer the questions I have for them, and resort to the user manuals. It's just stupid. I think EVERY time I go in there, I leave disappointed and hacked. They also recommend their Promaster products way too much...it seems almost fishy. When going in to look at a particular lens, they will immediately try to convince you of a Promaster product in the same category. As you know, Promaster lenses there are Tamrons in disguise...the tamrons they have recommended me have awful reviews, and they shouldn't be recommending them.

Anyway, no there's no place in Bolivar, and Lawrence is the only place in Springfield. Thanks BH Photo and BuyDig.com!

Hi Keith, you can fit 4 3x5s and a couple business cards on an 8x10 in photo shop. You can make an action to fit them on and it doesn't take too long. An Epson photo printer (6 color) can be had for around $30 plus shipping from e-bay and will do fine for give-aways. Make sure to tell them that you have the ones you sell done at a "Professional Lab" Or "Professionally" if you decide to step up to a more expensive printer. This will also help to justify the price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back