How would I fix these?

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did gray balance but all the shots are either over exposed or under exposed. They were tall taken in the same outdoor location with no shade.

Sophie05.jpg

Sophie09.jpg

I'm not sure if you use photoshop or not but on the first one I would create copy the layer, desaturate it, add about 10 of Gaussian blur and change the settings on the layer to vivid light with an opacity of about 60, it will give it a nice glow and blur the bg a bit. On the second one I would copy the layer, add 10% Gaussian blur and change the layer setting to Overlay making the colors more vibrant and adding a nice glowing effect to the images! Your daughter is adorable btw!

I'll have to learn to do that, I start my photo shop class in July. Right now they've only taught us sharpen and gray balance. Thanks so much.

Here is how it's done,

Photo 1
1. Open the image and hit CTL J (this will copy the image into a new layer)
2. click on the new layer in the layer menu
3. Go to Image>adjustments>desaturate (this will make the top layer gray scaled)
4. go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set radius to 10, click OK
5. In the layers menu, if you don't have it up go to windows>layers and it will appear, in the drop down box change it from normal to vivid light and set the opacity to 60%

Voila

follow the same steps for the other image only skip the desaturation and don't change the opacity and set the layer to Overlay instead of Vivid light.

Hope this helps!

If you would like I could make the edits on your pics for you, to show you what it looks like!

i wouldn't say they're underexposed, the 2nd one seems fine, the first one just lacks contrast. A quick adjustment in levels or curves will fix it in no time.

that would be great, I will follow your steps and try it myself but It would be nice to see what the finished product is supposed to look like

here is the first one.... I didn't desaturate the second layer and put the opacity of it at 75%

Sophie05.jpg

And the second one I did just as I previously said....

Sophie09.jpg

I pretty much just brightened them up and gave a soft glow effect... hope you like!

Awesome! They're wonderful. My daughter is very happy she said she has a tinkerbell glow.

Thank you so much.

No Problem, I could photoshop all day long, lol, in fact I have! If you need any help with the program I'd be glad to all though I have found the best place to learn photoshop is google, I started about 5 years ago and that's how I learned, you can find some great tutorials for just about everything. GL

here is the first one.... I didn't desaturate the second layer and put the opacity of it at 75%

Sophie05.jpg
You've got to make sure you don't clip the highlights though, this looks like the contrast slider was used as opposed to curves.

Granted this is working off a highly compressed jpeg, the original or the RAW file would fare much better and the shadows wouldn't be so blocked up and wouldn't shift colors, but you get the idea. all i did was levels up to where the hair wouldn't blow out and adjusted color balance to make it warmer. than again, different strokes different folks, i used to be into the whole glowy thing, but you quickly grow out of it when you see that most people haven't used a diffusion filter alot since the 80's and early 90's.

Sophie05.jpg

sophie052.jpg

i went a little crazy with the pp ... but i was bored and i liked your picture thought the originals turned out awesome!

editsophie.jpg

Is this a joke? Umm...

You can fix this IN CAMERA, and should-- instead of in Photoshop. What metering are you using? Did you WHITE balance with a gray card? Maybe you didn't do it properly.

The focus in the second one fell on her shirt, not her eyes. And watch for in-camera crops. You chopped off her hands.

Most reactions

Back