Human Trafficking Awareness photo

1) I don't get the concept, maybe. Is it just people don't talk about human trafficking as much as they should? If so, that same image could apply to 40 billion other causes as well. It would be nice to have some concept to the photo more specific to human trafficking, so that that cause sticks in my mind and I remember to maybe do something about it later, rather than just "something isn't getting talked about enough." Or am I missing something?

2) It looks like you lit this with a bare lightbulb 20 feet away. You need to invest in a softbox or similar diffuser

Oh, I see. Apparently the entire "movement" needs to be perpetuated in the social media universe. Additionally, nerds such as myself are not aware of the effort even when shown an image that was made specifically to meld with similar images.

Since they did not bother to consult a graphic designer as to what symbolism might convey a message, the imagery is completely lost on the great unwashed multitudes. That's too bad.

Good luck with your little movement.

It's not a great photo, but there's no call here for demeaning the cause of ending human trafficking, which is obviously pretty damn important...

It's not a great photo, but there's no call here for demeaning the cause of ending human trafficking, which is obviously pretty damn important...
It didn't read that way to me.

It just seems to be more of a 'join our clique' fashion statement than anything else. Some secret meaning that only those in the clique know about.

As an awareness piece - for any topic really - I think it totally fails. If Emily did not post that link, I would be left wondering what it is we're not supposed to talk about. Or does the X mean that we are supposed to start talking about "it"? And are "we" just women, or everyone?

As a photo, I don't think it's bad. As an awareness piece, it needs a lot of work. IMO, it fails without some text in the margins to tell us what the hell we're supposed to think when we see it.

Oh, I see. Apparently the entire "movement" needs to be perpetuated in the social media universe. Additionally, nerds such as myself are not aware of the effort even when shown an image that was made specifically to meld with similar images. Since they did not bother to consult a graphic designer as to what symbolism might convey a message, the imagery is completely lost on the great unwashed multitudes. That's too bad. Good luck with your little movement.

This. Particularly the "nerds such as myself."

A quick googling of human trafficking shows two alternatives that do a much clearer job of visually communicating this topic:
1) Bar codes on a girl's face. Way too blunt for my taste, but might get you thinking in a different direction.
2) Same as the OP, but instead of her own hand, a big burly man hand with the other one on her shoulder. Changes everything. Suddenly becomes obviously oppression/slavery, not just not talking about stuff, while still ALSO communicating the silence aspect.

The red 'X' kind of reminds me of a project our student counsel body did in school once.

It was to raise awareness against drunk driving, and they all had white X's on their cheeks, which was supposed to mean that they couldn't speak and we weren't allowed to talk to them, because it was supposed to be like they were gone, having been killed by a drunk driver. They were only allowed to speak in class to the teacher like normal, but in between classes, lunches, etc., or before/after class before the lesson got started, they weren't allowed to interact with anyone.

I don't know what the official word on the red X is for this particular movement, but to me it says, "It could even happen to me, and it needs to be stopped."

My daughter's senior class in high school did something like that. They even had ambulances and triage areas set up on campus. It was extremely emotional to say the least. Tears galore.

As a social media image, it works well enough. From a photograph standpoint, it doesn't.

I used to be very involved with the End It movement. It's a worthwhile cause. But images like this will only mean something to the people who know what you're talking about.

If they're not soliciting help from about 98% of Americans, it is going to remain a little movement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back