Hummingbird in the Woods

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
I caught this hummingbird sipping from this patch of wild snapdragons in the woods. It was evening so lighting was difficult. Not the greatest pictures but I was excited about the capture. That doesn't happen too much in the wild (at least not to me).

DSC03353.jpg

DSC03352.jpg

wow cery nice! You got him Dan! Unfortunatelly in my part of the world I don't have hummingbird... only sparrows... :)

I didn't realize hummingbirds actually ate anything in the wild. I thought they only survived off of those red jars we put outside

Nice position of the bird!

You sure kicked butt here, Dan....these little guys are flighty and quick to take off when spooked. You had to react fast to get these, I know - very excellent reaction on your part. :thumbsup:

The shots themselves are also very good. You caught this (I think it is) ruby-throated hummingbird in a great position. This guy looks very different from the the ruby-throats we have in the southeastern US, but he sure is exotic.

And just the other morning I was out on my patio to witness a hummingbird feeding from these trumpet-shaped purple flowers that grow from a wild vine I've encouraged to grow in my garden....it was really a thrill to see him there, when the obligatory feeder was only 6 feet away. I felt like, either way, I had helped provide for him. :love:

Incredible capture...nice work DrDan!

Excellent!!! Capture is the key word here. Hummingbirds are all over our friends ranch. Needless to say I have never attempted to photograph them. They are way to "flighty" for me. I admit that I do love them though.

Is this the low res version?

craig said:
Is this the low res version?

It is reduced somewhat in size and resolution for posting but the higher res isn't much better. I had to crop down a pretty far and the bird was moving and was in very low light conditions.

When I was a forester I worked the mountains around Durango, CO for a season. There were many more hummingbirds over there. They are comparatively rare in Colorado Springs although feeders will often attract them. They were exceedingly rare in SC.

Low light is a killer. Experimentation may be in order. Try making a small cropped photo and then gradually enlarge it. You may have a better idea of what you can get away with.

It is all out hummingbird war when our friends put juice in the feeder. Around here we have the red chest variety. I think. Like I say they go really fast.

drdan said:
I believe this is the broad tailed hummingbird, the most common species here I think.

http://portalproductions.com/h/brodt.htm

I lived 30 years in SC and 4 1/2 years in Marietta, GA while completing my chiropractic degree. The site of a ruby throated was a once every several year event when I was growing up.

A chiropractor from Marietta....hmmm, lemme guess: Life Chiropractic? :wink:

But gosh, no, they're all around here, I promise. Not this type, you're right, it looks like the broad tail. We get ruby-throats. You won't see them if you don't attract them with the feeders or certain flowers, and they don't get really numerous till July, but they'll be here till mid-October. I love 'em!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back