I am a wedding and portrait photographer & I need advise from a commercial

Hotelsincarmel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a wedding and portrait photographer and I need some advise about my first commercial/fine art job. I was contracted by a local brewhouse to shoot the brewing tanks for the purpose of artwork for the walls of the brewhouse. I agreed to do this at no charge and I will provide 10 of the 16 - 20X24 prints that will be displayed on the wall. In return my name and/or web address will be displayed on every print & I will retain all rights to the photos. And he will have a price on every print in his brewhouse, when they sell we will split the sale price minus the cost of the print.

* The first question I have is; How much should I charge for the print?

* The next question I have is that now he wants the photographs on his web site. He does not mind linking to my site. I know I want my shots on his site for the publicity however I would very much like to recuperate some of the cost I will be coming out of pocket for the prints for his walls. What is the normal procedure in this case?

* Lastly, the manufacture of the brew tanks now want to buy the photos for there web site and I have no Idea what to charge them.
I have 50 very good edited pictures of brew tanks. Should I sell them to the tank company as a lot? Or should I price the individual pictures? What should I charge?

All suggestions and advise are greatly appreciated.

I am a wedding and portrait photographer and I need some advise about my first commercial/fine art job. I was contracted by a local brewhouse to shoot the brewing tanks for the purpose of artwork for the walls of the brewhouse. I agreed to do this at no charge and I will provide 10 of the 16 - 20X24 prints that will be displayed on the wall. In return my name and/or web address will be displayed on every print & I will retain all rights to the photos. And he will have a price on every print in his brewhouse, when they sell we will split the sale price minus the cost of the print.

* The next question I have is that now he wants the photographs on his web site. He does not mind linking to my site. I know I want my shots on his site for the publicity however I would very much like to recuperate some of the cost I will be coming out of pocket for the prints for his walls. What is the normal procedure in this case?

* Lastly, the manufacture of the brew tanks now want to buy the photos for there web site and I have no Idea what to charge them.
I have 50 very good edited pictures of brew tanks. Should I sell them to the tank company as a lot? Or should I price the individual pictures? What should I charge?

This whole thing was your idea, How would we know?

Petraio
Were you born stupid or do you have to work so hard at being so...?

Hotelsincarmel
Welcome to the site.

There are plenty here who will help, just be patient.

1- For the posters I would charge your printing cost plus a reasonable markup. You want these to move in volume; it's not a like a one off print you would do for a sitting.

2- I would consider the networking of putting them on his site as advertising costs. If the photos are good and you generate hits to your site you will recoup the cost through more business. You already agreed to do the posters on spec for the opportunity to get your name in the brewhouse. The web site is just an extension of that agreement.

3- This is where you can recoup some costs. Charge a fair portion of your time spent collecting and editing the photos. The manufacturer is not part of the original agreement. You can either decide to extend the agreement and further your networking or start reaping the rewards of your hard work.

I'm interested to see the pics. Can you post a couple?

Most pointless reply I have ever read.

If YOU do not know what to say or do in this case, then move on. The user is asking for input and guidance from people in the know, which you are not one of.

Its the same as someone asking for which camera to buy, and you reply the same crap to them "Well, you want to buy it, how should we know?"

Seriously...its dimwitted replys like this that not only make you look like a turd, but damage the rep of the website.

Petraio
Were you born stupid or do you have to work so hard at being so...?

Hotelsincarmel
Welcome to the site.

There are plenty here who will help, just be patient.

I am amazed at some of the questions I see here. The answer I gave reflected that.

I am amazed at some of the questions I see here. The answer I gave reflected that.

If you were to take your selfcentered blinders off and realize that not all are as wonderful as yourself, the OP has a number of good questions. He is branching out of his daily routine and reaching out to others with more experience who can help him reduce the number of mistakes he may otherwise make. I would call that smart business.
Sounds like a very good question to me.

If you were to take your selfcentered blinders off and realize that not all are as wonderful as yourself, the OP has a number of good questions. He is branching out of his daily routine and reaching out to others with more experience who can help him reduce the number of mistakes he may otherwise make. I would call that smart business.
Sounds like a very good question to me.

I just don't feel these questions can be answered by anyone else.

Your response shows exactly what I have been saying.
You think that if you cannot answer the question, nobody else could because you are the "gift to the photography world".
Simply take off the blinders, come down from the throne, and realize there are so many who are more intelligent than you. When you are able to do so, you will not make such pretentious remarks.

Your response shows exactly what I have been saying.
You think that if you cannot answer the question, nobody else could because you are the "gift to the photography world".
Simply take off the blinders, come down from the throne, and realize there are so many who are more intelligent than you. When you are able to do so, you will not make such pretentious remarks.

Sorry, again, you misinterpreted. What I meant was that the agreement was entirely arbitrary. You can do what you want. There is no guidance to be had. It is a unique situation. Ad hoc. Do you know what ad hoc means?

He agreed to do the work at no charge in return for some other compensation, etc. Why is he asking for advice now? That was part of my point. Things to consider include the potential sales volumes, etc., which we would have no idea of.

In short, there are to many things that go into this to give an answer in a forum situation. Part of it is that he has already decided to do the work gratis....

I don't think a commercial photographer would approach it this way. There is speculation involved, in a way.

Last edited:
Sorry, again, you misinterpreted. What I meant was that the agreement was entirely arbitrary. You can do what you want. There is no guidance to be had. It is a unique situation. Ad hoc. Do you know what ad hoc means?

He agreed to do the work at no charge in return for some other compensation, etc. Why is he asking for advice now? That was part of my point. Things to consider include the potential sales volumes, etc., which we would have no idea of.

It was not misinterpretation on my part, it was a poorly worded response on your part, which you have a distinctly strong propensity to do.

This part of your response is much more what people here expect. We are not saying anyone here has to agree with another poster, but to provide an answer that has some insight.
How hard would it be for you to have stated this the first time?

Remember what the other Pierre mentioned before, and try to keep that in your mind when responding to posts.

"its dimwitted replys like this that not only make you look like a turd, but damage the rep of the website"

It was not misinterpretation on my part, it was a poorly worded response on your part, which you have a distinctly strong propensity to do.

This part of your response is much more what people here expect. We are not saying anyone here has to agree with another poster, but to provide an answer that has some insight.
How hard would it be for you to have stated this the first time?

OK, well I thought this was obvious...

Unique situation? bs.
Wedding photographer doing weddings, selling wedding images. Does their first commercial shoot, had initial arrangements with 1 client, and then the 1 client wants more and a second client steps in. You think that is unique?

If you have never been through the situation, fine. That does not mean that others have not. I agree that each situation is different, but getting answers as to what others have done often helps in guiding one's decisions and using their experience and knowledge to help guide your own.

I use the term ad hoc as impromptu, random. I have scheduled appointments and I can have adhoc appointments, walkins type of thing. One of type of things.

I agree that the OPs situation is ad hoc for them, it is random, something they didn't plan for. But I dont believe this is an ad hoc situation for everyone, hence the OP already getting a good reply from oldmacman.

We implemented a new system at work. Online recruiting. We have never done it. While our company is unique, we found other companies who went through the same thing and discussed what they did, how they did it, why they did it. While they had their own reasons that we may or may not agree with, getting their insight was instrumental in putting together our strategy.

And even if it was totally unique situation that will never happen to them or anyone ever again, what is the harm in asking a group of photographers for their input on how to handle the situation? When faced with the unknown, I guess we should all just learn to deal with it on our own instead of seeking input from others??

Unique situation? bs.
Wedding photographer doing weddings, selling wedding images. Does their first commercial shoot, had initial arrangements with 1 client, and then the 1 client wants more and a second client steps in. You think that is unique?

If you have never been through the situation, fine. That does not mean that others have not. I agree that each situation is different, but getting answers as to what others have done often helps in guiding one's decisions and using their experience and knowledge to help guide your own.

I use the term ad hoc as impromptu, random. I have scheduled appointments and I can have adhoc appointments, walkins type of thing. One of type of things.

I agree that the OPs situation is ad hoc for them, it is random, something they didn't plan for. But I dont believe this is an ad hoc situation for everyone, hence the OP already getting a good reply from oldmacman.

We implemented a new system at work. Online recruiting. We have never done it. While our company is unique, we found other companies who went through the same thing and discussed what they did, how they did it, why they did it. While they had their own reasons that we may or may not agree with, getting their insight was instrumental in putting together our strategy.

And even if it was totally unique situation that will never happen to them or anyone ever again, what is the harm in asking a group of photographers for their input on how to handle the situation? When faced with the unknown, I guess we should all just learn to deal with it on our own instead of seeking input from others??

I just thought it odd he asked for advice after he had already made the agreement. If he had asked here beforehand it would have made more sense. That was my point. Fair enough? Wedding photographers don't take all their photos on speculation, of course, and then hope to sell them. So, that's what struck me as odd.

Last edited:

Unique situation? bs.

I just thought it odd he asked for advice after he had already made the agreement. If he had asked here beforehand it would have made more sense. That was my point. Fair enough? Wedding photographers don't take all their photos on speculation, of course, and then hope to sell them. So, that's what struck me as odd.

That seems logical.

Most reactions

Back