"I AM GENERATION IMAGE"

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon has started a new marketing campaign.. And i really like it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/b...phone-snappers-to-step-up-to-nikons.html?_r=0
Nikon I Am Generation Image

Why do i like it? Because for once Nikon is targeting the cellphone/instagram generation directly. They are saying "We know you like your cellphone camera... but you can do beter!". They are targeting ad's at my kids (age 12 - 18) who think all a good picture requires is a fancy filter applied.

What do you guys think?

it's smart.

Time will tell. Even if they get 1/4 of the current generation cell phone snappers it would be a nice sales boost for Nikon. However the biggest hurdle to overcome with regards to the D-SLR vs Cellphone debate is convenience. The reason the internet is flooded with images is because of the simple convenience of having the camera built in to your phone. As the saying goes "The best camera is the one that is always with you". Given the choice I don't think most people are going to be willing to carry around a bigger D-SLR and possibly additional lenses just to take selfies, and snap casual pics of friends while they're out at the clubs.

In my case however you will have to pry my Nikon D-SLR's and lenses from my cold dead fingers.

Very smart, indeed. Good marketing move. :icon_salut:

Any day now:

nikon_phone_zps18ec0d1c.jpg

I do not quite get it. What product are they promoting? Effectively they are saying to the 12-18 y.o. "C'mon guys, stop saving for you education, just throw 3-4 grands on our FF camera and lenses and you will get better image quality than your mobile phone gives you" .

I do not quite get it. What product are they promoting? Effectively they are saying to the 12-18 y.o. "C'mon guys, stop saving for you education, just throw 3-4 grands on our FF camera and lenses and you will get better image quality than your mobile phone gives you" .
:confused-55:
I didn't see them as promoting any one specific camera, just promoting 'a better camera than your phone'. Maybe I'm missing something?

considering how much money people spend on shoes these days...

photos are serious business for kids these days, yet they take them on cell phones.

targeting a group of photographers that would potentially buy your products is smart. They should be putting these sorts of ads on websites/tv/magazines that target the 18-32 demographic.

much better than targeting people that have already bought your products. or targeting people that have no interest in buying a camera or taking pictures.

and a brand new out of the box D3300 is $550.

Last edited:
I didn't see them as promoting any one specific camera, just promoting 'a better camera than your phone'. Maybe I'm missing something?

They show a particular camera in their video.

Judging by the equipment they show in both videos and the way it was shot, it was aimed at the aspiring professionals ( I do not mean photographers, I mean middle class in our money) in their 20-s who use phones for their photography.

Last edited:
Nikon is just asking the question...

"Which picture do you want on your facebook page?"

"This one? (iPhone)"
10751570_10204360546006813_1994676297_n.jpg

"Or this one (DSLR)?"
10358961_734285433274025_7843683183270833165_o.jpg

(Both pictures taken at the same time of day at the same tournament)

This is another example of an obvious and cheap manipuation. The first one was obviously taken by a seriously stoned mum, the second - by a professional photographer. In real life their potential client will make a much better picture with his/her phone and a much worse picture with a DSLR they are promoting. This kind of an advert always makes a negative effect on me.

They show a particular camera in their video.
You've pretty much summed up advertising. It's designed to $ell.

This is another example of an obvious and cheap manipuation. The first one was obviously taken by a seriously stoned mum, the second - by a professional photographer. In real life their potential client will make a much better picture with his/her phone and a much worse picture with a DSLR they are promoting. This kind of an advert always makes a negative effect on me.

Not true..

The first picture was taken by a mom (her son is the QB doing the hand-off) with an iPhone.. she zoomed in to get a closer view (hence the crappy digital zoom affect).

2nd picture was taken by a dad (Me.. not a professional photographer) with a Nikon D7100.

Both pictures are from Facebook..

I'm not sure how its "cheap manipulation"?

I think it's a good concept, and the two ads are pretty good! I like the thought they are trying to plant in peoples' minds, the benefits that would accrue if only they had, "A better camera to capture it with," leading to....better memories, better self-expression.

The WEIRDEST thing...this very morning, shortly before I woke up, I had a vivid,delightful dream that Nikon had started a new ad campaign and business strategy, which caused the majority of the camera business to follow Nikon's strategy--which was about being "authentic" and "legacy"...they had pivoted their brand's image and had started playing up their brand and their F-mount's long legacy, a sort of battle strategy against the "new mounts" like the m43, Fuji's X, Samsung's NX mount, and the four different new Sony mounts we've seen over the last 10 years. Me and this lady who had seen the new campaign and was reporting its success to me were both expressing mutual joy about Nikon's all-new ad campaign.

And then, this very morning, I wake up and see this??? Freaking me out!

Anyway, I think these two ads are good starts....Nikon immediately needs to DITCH Ashton Kutcher, forever, seriously...he's too much a celebrity endorser; I think advertising works much better if people can imagine themselves as the people in the ads, and celebrity culture is so strong it has created a we/them divide.

Not true..

The first picture was taken by a mom (her son is the QB doing the hand-off) with an iPhone.. she zoomed in to get a closer view (hence the crappy digital zoom affect).

2nd picture was taken by a dad (Me.. not a professional photographer) with a Nikon D7100.

Both pictures are from Facebook..

I'm not sure how its "cheap manipulation"?

You got me :clap: I thought it was taken from a Nikon advert :biggrin-93: Good shot btw.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back