I am looking for...

mostlysunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
an extra long camera strap.

I have a camera bag, and backpack. When I go out with my camera in one of those bags I feel like I am a prisoner of my camera.

I want to take my camera out with me more, and think if I had an extra long strap it wouldn't be a little lighter. When I walk around with the strap that came with the camera, it is always in the way. I would like one that goes to my hip.

I can't find any extra long straps online.. Anyone know where I could get one?

I had a similar request myself actually.

Jim, that one looks nice but it's not cheap, and it'd cost me even more to have it shipped to the UK!

Anybody have any UK suggestions? I just want an extra long, sturdy strap that isn't more than say £20 (approx $30)

I have a camera bag, and backpack. When I go out with my camera in one of those bags I feel like I am a prisoner of my camera.

I want to take my camera out with me more, and think if I had an extra long strap it wouldn't be a little lighter. When I walk around with the strap that came with the camera, it is always in the way. I would like one that goes to my hip.

I take my bag because it has all of my stuff in it, but then when I get where I'm going I take my camera out and any other things I think I might need and put them in pockets. Most of the time I don't carry my bag around, but there are exceptions.

I guess I don't get your extra long strap request. You say the strap that came with your camera makes it always in the way. How so? Are you just hanging it around your neck tourist style? If so, I can understand the 'in the way' feeling.

I use a Black Rapid Sport. It's plenty long enough so it sits on my hip with it slung over my shoulder and across my chest. In fact, as I walk around it actually sits more to the rear so it's not at all in my way. Your height has a lot to do with strap length as well. I'm 6 feet tall and my strap still has some adjustment left in it. Although I can't imagine ever wanting it any longer.

You might also want to look at the Black Widow Spider Holster. I have one of these as well. It fixes the camera right on your hip and it doesn't move around at all.
Black Widow Holster Spider Camera Holster

Try the Black Rapid straps; I'm 6'1" and when i'm using them, the body is generally resting right on my hip.

Try the Black Rapid straps; I'm 6'1" and when i'm using them, the body is generally resting right on my hip.

^This.

Since I bought my BlackRapid I:
Have less back problems.
My Neck Hurts less.
I bring my DSLR almost everywhere with me.
I take better Candid's
Plus about 100 other good things it would take me too long to list.

FWIW - Using the regular strap, I rotate my camera (so the strap is crossing over itself) which makes it point in to my body and down instead of out. And I push it to my side versus being in front. You could also wear it on one side of the neck (not around the neck) so it rests to your side at all times.

I'm in the black rapid camp. I loved the curve (but changed camera, so I don't need it anymore).

Failing that - you could always create your own strap with a belt and some tools. I'm sure you could make a pretty awesome one from a nice belt from a vintage store and a leather cutter!

I've owned and used for years the Black Rapid and two other straps, the "Mzungo Quick Draw" and one I picked up on Amazon called a "WorthTrust Quick Neck Shoulder Strap". I also have belts, bags, backpacks, rolling cases, and more, but those are different subjects.

Flat out, though everyone sings out in unison "BLACK RAPID!" every time this subject comes up as if it's the only strap song they know (and maybe it is), it's simply WAY overpriced for what you get.

The Mzungo Quick Draw is a strap I can't seem to find online anymore. I've had mine maybe 10 years or more, got it for about $20. It's very basic - just the strap, an adjustment component and a ring with a carabiner clip to attach to the camera. It had no shoulder pad, so I found one in a second hand shop for less than a buck on some other item and put it on myself.

The one I picked up on Amazon is the one that provides the best value for the dollar, IMHO. My Amazon Prime page lists it at $7.89 and of course my Prime means there's no cost beyond that for shipping or anything else. You can find it by clicking here:

Amazon.com WorthTrust Quick Neck Shoulder Strap for Canon Nikon Sony Cameras Binocular Straps Camera Photo

The suggestion to build your own is a good one too. The materials are cheap and you can make it as long as you want.

If I knew then what I know now, I would NEVER have paid the money I did for the Black Rapid. I did it because EVERYBODY sings out that stupid "BLACK RAPID!!!" song when the subject comes up, and I thought that must mean there's really something special about it that makes it totally worth it.

There's not, and it isn't.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Black Rapid is a winner, another way out is one of those holster bags that one can slide up front, draw the camera, shoot and back it goes..... I bought a tamarac recently and love it. :)

I had a similar request myself actually.

Jim, that one looks nice but it's not cheap, and it'd cost me even more to have it shipped to the UK!

Anybody have any UK suggestions? I just want an extra long, sturdy strap that isn't more than say £20 (approx $30)
Jodie s Camera Straps LLC - Custom Pages
I found a place after I asked here.. This woman ships overseas..

To be honest, maybe I just feel it to be in the way. With the strap that came with the camera, it sits exactly on my chest. It's sitting in a odd place.

I guess I don't get your extra long strap request. You say the strap that came with your camera makes it always in the way. How so? Are you just hanging it around your neck tourist style? If so, I can understand the 'in the way' feeling.

Black Widow Holster Spider Camera Holster

an extra long camera strap.

Another one to check out: Speed Carry. I'm 6'4" and my camera rests on my hop, and it does feel so much lighter than when worn around the neck!

I've owned and used for years the Black Rapid and two other straps, the "Mzungo Quick Draw" and one I picked up on Amazon called a "WorthTrust Quick Neck Shoulder Strap". I also have belts, bags, backpacks, rolling cases, and more, but those are different subjects.

Flat out, though everyone sings out in unison "BLACK RAPID!" every time this subject comes up as if it's the only strap song they know (and maybe it is), it's simply WAY overpriced for what you get.

The Mzungo Quick Draw is a strap I can't seem to find online anymore. I've had mine maybe 10 years or more, got it for about $20. It's very basic - just the strap, an adjustment component and a ring with a carabiner clip to attach to the camera. It had no shoulder pad, so I found one in a second hand shop for less than a buck on some other item and put it on myself.

The one I picked up on Amazon is the one that provides the best value for the dollar, IMHO. My Amazon Prime page lists it at $7.89 and of course my Prime means there's no cost beyond that for shipping or anything else. You can find it by clicking here:

Amazon.com WorthTrust Quick Neck Shoulder Strap for Canon Nikon Sony Cameras Binocular Straps Camera Photo

The suggestion to build your own is a good one too. The materials are cheap and you can make it as long as you want.

If I knew then what I know now, I would NEVER have paid the money I did for the Black Rapid. I did it because EVERYBODY sings out that stupid "BLACK RAPID!!!" song when the subject comes up, and I thought that must mean there's really something special about it that makes it totally worth it.

Thank you so much for this post!!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back