I could use some insight.

Skekses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend recommended these boards to me because I am considering getting certified in Photography. I already have a Bachelor's of Fine Art in Illustration and Graphic Design. I'm currently a graphic designer at a small advertising firm, and finding I'm not satisfied.

I recently started thinking about going back to school to try photography, but I honestly don't think I have it in me to go back for another 4 years. I'm considering trying to get certified after doing some experimentation to see if I like it first.

Would just getting certified allow me to get a decent job in the field? Any input would be great considering you guys have the passion for it. :sillysmi:

if your good, you dont need to be certified to get a job.. at least in canada.. I mean, I'm not certified, and I've actually never taken a course... I'm self taught, and taught by all the fine people on this forum.. but I do PLENTY of work in photography.. (studio work) I mean, having the papers would probably give you a one up, but nothing beats experience

if your good, you dont need to be certified to get a job.. at least in canada.. I mean, I'm not certified, and I've actually never taken a course... I'm self taught, and taught by all the fine people on this forum.. but I do PLENTY of work in photography.. (studio work) I mean, having the papers would probably give you a one up, but nothing beats experience

Heh. I guess I'm not sure if I'm even that good yet. I'm not very good at "self-teaching". I'm better when I'm taught by someone else. I don't even know where to begin! What do you guys suggest?

Also, like illustration, is photography mostly a freelance job?

buy a camera or borrow one-weather it be cheap or expensive and experiment with composition, if you enjoy taking pictures and were using a cheapo camera. look at getting an advanced point and shoot or basic DSLR to start you off, read understanding exposure and learn how to use your camera to get the best results.

I started with my husbands cybershot which was old when I started using it, it had x3 optical zoom, and i realised I loved taking pictures, but the lack of zoom frustrated me, I then bought a canon s3is with x10 zoom and learnt about its manual controls (both of those camera's were point and shoots) after eventaully becoming frustrated with the small sensor and too much noise at low ISO I decided to buy a DSLR and a couple of lenses. I love photography, and am teaching myself through internet, the library and experimentation.
I aspire to be a portrait and pet photographer (free lance)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back