I don't remember the last time I shot on a sunny day

DavidVote

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
As always, critique and criticism please. I rarely shoot on sunny days so my lighting control isn't exactly the best. This shoot just came out "meh" but I want the next one to be at least a bit better than "meh".

I'm thinking about buying a reflector or flash, which one would be appropriate for situations like this?

Both. But get a flash first, and a light stand, and an umbrella bracket, and a convertible umbrella.
Two flash units (2 light stands, 2 umbrellas) and a reflector is even better.

The Sun has to be available for a reflector to be effective.

Both.
But 2 flash units and a reflector is even better.
Yeah, both. I think a flash would provide some nice fill light, and a reflector would help to lighten up under her chin and neck area. Keep at it!

Both. But get a flash first, and a light stand, and an umbrella bracket, and a convertible umbrella.
Two flash units (2 light stands, 2 umbrellas) and a reflector is even better.

The Sun has to be available for a reflector to be effective.

Both.
But 2 flash units and a reflector is even better.
Yeah, both. I think a flash would provide some nice fill light, and a reflector would help to lighten up under her chin and neck area. Keep at it!

Thanks! Which flash/umbrella/reflector would you recommend me getting? My budget is appx 100 dollars.

Do you guys have any idea why this edit looks so off? I can't seem to get it to look right and for the time being given up. If you could point out whats wrong with the colors, please let me know! It's partly the reason why I only uploaded this shot from the shoot! I just can't get it to look right!

Last edited:
Do you guys have any idea why this edit looks so off? I can't seem to get it to look right and for the time being given up. If you could point out whats wrong with the colors, please let me know! It's partly the reason why I only uploaded this shot from the shoot! I just can't get it to look right!

The sky is green and the photo has no black point. Skin color is OK.

Joe

The sky is green and the photo has no black point. Skin color is OK.

Joe

Hmm, are you sure the sky is green? Looks pretty blue here on all my monitors.. But thanks, I also tried lowering the black point but it's still not looking right.

Edit: Thank you for the suggestion. Your point about the black point with the addition of me turning off an adjustment layer made it look a lot better. Thanks (I think)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 7.33.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 7.33.09 AM.png
    678.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
The subject is too dark, imo.
The background and the blown out buildings are a nice contrast but she is so dark that my eye goes to the background.
She is also too small in the frame and there is too much extra space - for no artistic reason.
The subject needs to command the frame.
If you crop it so she fills the right side, then she is in balance with the quite attractive background.
Fill light or a reflector would fix the raccoon eyes and dark upper face.
Her legs and hands are brighter than her face and that will have to be fixed in post in any case.

Untitled-1lllll.jpg

The subject is too dark, imo.
The background and the blown out buildings are a nice contrast but she is so dark that my eye goes to the background.
She is also too small in the frame and there is too much extra space - for no artistic reason.
The subject needs to command the frame.
If you crop it so she fills the right side, then she is in balance with the quite attractive background.
Fill light or a reflector would fix the raccoon eyes and dark upper face.
Her legs and hands are brighter than her face and that will have to be fixed in post in any case.

View attachment 94108

Hi the traveler, thank you for the suggestion. I cropped it how you suggested with the newer version of the picture. How does it look now?

BTW: You've also mentioned time to time again that I have a lot of extra space in my photos. I do it while shooting so I have a lot more flexibility in post when it comes to cropping and the likes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 7.33.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 7.33.09 AM.png
    580.2 KB · Views: 159
Which flash/umbrella/reflector would you recommend me getting? My budget is appx 100 dollars.
You will have to try to make do with low-end speedlights, which means manual control only (no TTL). For the light stands, brackets and umbrellas; these are not high-cost items, so you can find inexpensive imports. I bought a set a few years ago that included two each of cheap light stands, brackets, and four umbrellas for around $75. If you get lucky you can find an older, used speedlight for around $25.

Hmm, are you sure the sky is green? Looks pretty blue here on all my monitors.

Yes, I'm certain. The sky is shifted green. Technically it's cyan in your photo. Blue sky on a sunny day is a pretty constant color.

Joe

Most reactions

Back