I have a Lens Question involving the camera....

EhJsNe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I bought a Nikon D300, that has a sensor approx 2/3 the size of a 35mm Frame, and used the lenses from my FM10, which are designed for the Full Frame, would that work?

Well, would what I see in the viewfinder be bigger than what the CCD/CMOS Sensor sees...err just would part of my picture be cropped?

And if it was cropped, could I draw on my filter where the sensor doesnt see, so when I look through the viwfinder, ill know whats in the frame?

Don't know Nikons, so don't know if the lens will work (fit the mount, auto focus, etc.)

But as far as the sensor size, the camera just uses the center part of what the lens lets through. The viewfinder also just sees the center part.

TF

The lens will work fine and the viewfinder will only show the half-frame that the camera is capturing. It's all seamless, it works 100% fine.

BTW - The sensor is actually a little under half of a 35mm frame area-wise. 1/2.3 of the area if you want to be accurate..

OldClicker is right - crop sensor cameras will only pickup the middle area of a lens and that will be all that you see through the viewfinder (you will see the full frame that your camera is able to capture and no more or less). That is not a bad thing since the middle areas of a lens are generaly the strongest optics.

As for the lens mounts I have no idea about the lenses abilty to attach to the camera.

OldClicker is right - crop sensor cameras will only pickup the middle area of a lens and that will be all that you see through the viewfinder (you will see the full frame that your camera is able to capture and no more or less). That is not a bad thing since the middle areas of a lens are generaly the strongest optics.

As for the lens mounts I have no idea about the lenses abilty to attach to the camera.

so If I take a filter, and some time, and mark it wear the sensor wont see, I should be able to tell whats in the fram coorct?

huh?
no all you will see in the viewfinder is what you will get on your shot - the viewfinder won't show you any extra areas of the lens - only what the camera sensor will see

Most reactions

Back