I like simple composition shots, am I alone?

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm finding I like simple pictures... I'm really liking black and white. It seems to make an otherwise ordinary picture a little more interesting which lends itself to the simple composition picture.

I was exploring this today and this picture:

IMG_3519.jpg

I also tried something a little less simple but with the intention to make it a selective color image.

IMG_3527-2.jpg

I like them, but I get the feeling perhaps I'm alone. What do you guys think?

for the first one, my view keeps going back to the car for some reason, i find that it's kind of distracting. maybe that's just me. but kudos to simple composition

This_thread from the Photo Themes might be the answer to your question.

Though I don't think either of the two photos you present here to underline your penchant for "simplicity in composition" is really that simple in composition. They are both quite busy, and the conversion into black&white doesn't make them any "simpler" with regards to their composition. The hydrant COULD have been "simple" in that respect had not that car gone past...

I totally agree. Took this one last week on the way to work:

IMG_0467.jpg

yea, i'm a fan of simplicity, and yes, B&W certainly gives it more of a mood... but yes, the car kills the first pic..

this is one i took recently... most people on TPF didnt like it, but theres something about it that makes me keep it.

20090108-fuwb3jrq4ftwsjxs13hbrhb5t.jpg

I tend to like simple black and whites too. What about this one? It was taken with my old Canon Powershot (4 yrs old now) pre-SLR.

IMG_2930.jpg

you are not alone....here's one of mine that i did with my old Sony P & S

1_207782899l.jpg

I tend to like simple black and whites too. What about this one? It was taken with my old Canon Powershot (4 yrs old now) pre-SLR.

IMG_2930.jpg
That's a great shot, great DOF.

Is this any better?

IMG_3517.jpg

I think that liking "simple" composition speaks to a basic element of any good photo-- having elements that pull the eye into the subject. I like photos that have some elements aside from the main subject, but that are subdued and pull the eye towards your subject.

Here's one I took the other day that illustrates what I'm talking about, I think.

451362197_npAvt-O.jpg

Just a shot from the other day but I liked the way it came out.

I like the fire hydrant much more with the new cropping.

I have a whole bunch more rock pictures like that. I was on the Saco River in Maine when I came across about 7 stacks of rocks like that all in a row.

Simple photos rock! It is much more challenging to get a really good photograph of nothing then of something. A ton of my pictures are really simple like the ones being shown in this thread. (awesome photos, bye the way!)

Simple is great, but hard to pull off I find.

I like your second post of the hydrant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back