I live in a very visually boring place

When a visitor from other place go to New York city, that visitor may find everything are amazing to be photographed. Even down to a beat up soda can lying on the ground while the people who live there all their life think that person is crazy.

I bet when you move to another place far far away and come back 15 to 20 years later, you may find a lot of interesting places to photograph. Even a once boring Walmart parking lot, a street sign you pass everyday, the high school entrance or just a playground you spent hours and hours on it when you were a child. They all look boring to you because you have not found the connections with them.

Landscape photos doesn't has to be Great Mountain, beautiful quiet lake scene. Just one single tree in a open ground is quite interesting. The limitation is only your imagination.

Just move. Houston is a cheap place to live with a good art scene. If you want streams and forest you could make the mecca to portland. Or there are any number of other large cities you could move to. Miami for example is very close.

No I do not like that excuse.

I live in probably one of the ugliest, run down, dirty places I've ever seen in my entire life.

We are here because the military told us to come here. It is a nice area for tourist (beach) but get away from that 1 mile of hotels and crowds and you have ugly, normal neighborhoods and uglyness.

You have to see between.

I took this photo as an example a few months ago. The photo on the left is the area, a pull back. Neglected junk cars and overgrown grass. Yes, this is in my neighborhood. I hate that house with a passion, but there is nothing I can do, but make good use out of their neglected yard... :)

388109_265505886840474_100001431947276_740392_1513954311_n.jpg

You live in South Florida and complain about scenery? Last I heard/saw, South Florida had some of the best scenery a guy could ask for :)

You bought a camera wanting to shoot rivers and wildlife, but surely you knew this wasn't easily accessible in your area before hand...

No I do not like that excuse.

I live in probably one of the ugliest, run down, dirty places I've ever seen in my entire life.

Have you visited the downtown area at all? Maybe your area of Pensacola isn't pretty, but the city in general is gorgeous.

Why is it people hate their surroundings when it could be worse? Granted we're not in Paris or similar, but any beach location (especially the two mentioned) are gorgeous places. At least you have water and parks and such you can enjoy.

I go to the downtown area about three times a week.

It is dirty, nasty, there are homeless people everywhere. It makes me uncomfortable. Do you live here now? I heard it has gone downhill fast in the past few year.

And I grew up on a beach, literally walk outside, there was the beach, so I am a bit spoiled I do admit that I do not like public beaches and dragging all my kids and all my crap to sit there and have to drag it all back again... and then clean up after 3 kids sand everywhere. no. lol I'll just go to my moms house in Virginia and go to their even dirtier beach just so I can walk to the bathroom and then grab a beer from the fridge and go back down to the beach! haha

I don't like this area at all. And that probably has tainted my view of the beauty of the surroundings.

and where is a water park in Pensacola, oh you mean Sams Fun City? LOL bahahahahahahaha yea. no.

You live in South Florida and complain about scenery? Last I heard/saw, South Florida had some of the best scenery a guy could ask for :)You bought a camera wanting to shoot rivers and wildlife, but surely you knew this wasn't easily accessible in your area before hand...
I really sometimes wish you guys would really read before you guys judged. I never ONCE said I couldn't get good photos. I even started my thread off by saying "I know it's not an excuse, a good photographer can make anything look interesting" I just have a desire to see/photograph different types of scenery. Apparently this is a sin I the photography world to say lol. I didn't say there is nothing to photograph as I still have some nice landscape photos, just wish we had variety. And if you look through the thread, anybody who has been in Florida more then 5 minutes can relate. Anyone who says I am making an excuse is not really reading I never once said I CAN'T get good photos. I just wish there was more variety here. But I'm done repeating myself as I have said this a million times if no cares to reallyListen... Oh well.

We just don't have greenery, mountain, flourishing, snowy landscapes here. If a photographer wants the opportunity to photograph a particular bird, but that bird doesnt live where he is, a bird is not going to suddenly appear because he is a good photographer. But he makes due and photographs everything he can, still loves photography and has
No problem finding other things to photograph, That's not making an excuse, but he still has the desire to photograph that bird. Thats where I am at.

Last edited:
Not a sin at all, and in fact a common desire among all people, which was Also posted earlier.. Variety no doubt increases desire to get out and shoot, but if you cant afford to get away right now.. well that's just too bad, I honestly have empathy for your situation... I dont think Ive left Minnesota at all this entire year.. which is a first for me probably since Ive been 3 years old... but this has also been the year that Ive no doubt been the most appreciative of my home state and what it has to offer in my entire life. Youll get your chance to move about eventually... but in the mean time, you might as well try to get out and practice with your equipment, learn and have fun - which is what most of these posts have probably been trying to get at.

There is a lot of variety in Florida... as long as you don't want mountains. Crystal River area is beautiful. The Keys are awesome. Alligator alley is beautiful at the right time of the day. Kayak some of the rivers like the Hillsborough in Tampa, LOVELY! There are bridges all over the place that can be shot (Skyway at Tampa Bay, etc...). Marinas, beaches and seascapes abound. Find a Brazilian Red Pepper Tree in full bloom and go crazy. Work on your bird photos. Hit a swamp or a shallow bay.. shoot the Mangrove trees. Get a Macro lens.. and go bug hunting! Florida has LOTS of bugs! Shoot the resorts on the gulf side like Madeira Beach. Shoot South Beach. Lots of cool City scapes in Miami (just be careful where you go! lol!)

I miss Florida....

Try photographing what you don't like about it, use your cameras limitations to best illustrate your feelings of being trapped or your lack of freedom. Photograph the repetition and the mundane ... photograph CONCEPTS not THINGS.

You live in South Florida and complain about scenery? Last I heard/saw, South Florida had some of the best scenery a guy could ask for :)You bought a camera wanting to shoot rivers and wildlife, but surely you knew this wasn't easily accessible in your area before hand...
I really sometimes wish you guys would really read before you guys judged. I never ONCE said I couldn't get good photos. I even started my thread off by saying "I know it's not an excuse, a good photographer can make anything look interesting" I just have a desire to see/photograph different types of scenery. Apparently this is a sin I the photography world to say lol. I didn't say there is nothing to photograph as I still have some nice landscape photos, just wish we had variety. And if you look through the thread, anybody who has been in Florida more then 5 minutes can relate. Anyone who says I am making an excuse is not really reading I never once said I CAN'T get good photos. I just wish there was more variety here. But I'm done repeating myself as I have said this a million times if no cares to reallyListen... Oh well.

We just don't have greenery, mountain, flourishing, snowy landscapes here. If a photographer wants the opportunity to photograph a particular bird, but that bird doesnt live where he is, a bird is not going to suddenly appear because he is a good photographer. But he makes due and photographs everything he can, still loves photography and has
No problem finding other things to photograph, That's not making an excuse, but he still has the desire to photograph that bird. Thats where I am at.

I live 20 minutes away from this, one of the best climbing and caving areas in the UK, but i hardly shoot landscapes
IMG3971-L.jpg

IMG4221-L.jpg

Great now I have photos of:

a Hooker
A Cigar
A jar of Jiff
My Old Fuzzy slippers
Two Photoshop User Magazines
5 Quarters
Lint uinder My couch
Marshmellow Fluff ( goes with the Jiff)
Tone nail clippings
And Mount Rushmore

Just trying to figure out why you have a Hooker and Toe Nail Clippings within 10' of you at the same time.

I want to hear about the hooker and the jar of Jiff, if whatever is taking place only costs 5 quarters Ill be rethinking my plans for new years eve.

Most reactions

Back