I live in a very visually boring place

No such thing as a visually boring place. Only untrained eyes who can't find the way to make a place visually interesting.

A few months back I went to see a show of photographs of french suburban hell, neighborhoods that had barely been finished building, with no grass, no trees, etc and, thanks to the photog's way of shooting them, the images were surprisingly beautiful.

How is itAn excuse? I never said once I CAN'T get nice photos. I've never ONCE said my photos are lacking. In order to make an excuse there would have to be something i am making an An excuse for in order for said excuse to happen, which has not happened. A desire is not an excuse.
This is your excuse:
]Shooting feels somewhat pointless until I get my camera seeing as I found out my compact is faulty and unable to focus. It's not like I'll be able to actually get any good shots.
To which I responded:
More just stating how incredibly bummed I Am after having found out my camera doesn't work Right :( It still takes photos fine, but it doesn't focus and gives a soft focus to everything, and as much as I know this sounds like I'm making it up, I actually brought it somewhere to have this issue looked at, and the camera is in fact unable to focus. But I get my new camera in a week do that works.

No such thing as a visually boring place. Only untrained eyes who can't find the way to make a place visually interesting.A few months back I went to see a show of photographs of french suburban hell, neighborhoods that had barely been finished building, with no grass, no trees, etc and, thanks to the photog's way of shooting them, the images were surprisingly beautiful.
Well if you look through the thread, what I really meant to say was there isn't a lot variety here. It's not that there is nothing to photograph, just wish there was more variety.

Nevermind. Point, missed.

Carry on whining about not being able to travel then.

Rose, I picked something within 10 feet of me, five minutes ago.
Hand held at 1/20 of a second.
F2.8
ISO 2000

It's a plastic cup with Belle from " beauty and the beast" under tungsten light.
Could have set it up on a tripod and made it much better than this at f5 at ISO 200.
But it's just a plastic cup.

This is just to give you an idea. That's all it's for.
Don't get discouraged.
It's gonna be ok.

6509306961_0e2eeac615_z.jpg

That's why I fled that place!!!
I was there for just less than two years. The first few weeks were fun because I joined a wildlife photography meet up group and got to know some nice spots for spotting gators and birds... actually, you dont need to spot them, they usually just lie there and enjoy the sun.

Then after that first few weeks, I felt that gators look the same and there are only so many times before I want to move on to something else.

so theres the night scene.... but im not a night crawler so clubs dont attract me. Miami downtown is alrigjt, but not where the crowd is. there's the spanish monastary which is awesome the first time.

I think what would be extremely interesting will be documenting the latino lifestyle in Miami. The cubans, columbians etc. However, it takes an insider to get introduced into the community, and I wasnt lucky enough to know one.

Also, if you want to get out of town to see something different, well, north florida is a good 9~12 hours drive away. Atlanta is a full 12 hours away etc. So a weekeng getaway is tough to arrange.

Also,being surrounded by ocean, youd think there's fishing boats. nope, just private recreational fishing.

To get access to the real glades, you need airboat, and be careful not to tresspass.

i left with a few things on the list that i didnt get to do, but those arent big deals.

people think living in south florida is awesome. well, theres a reason why old folks like to retire here. also, unless you like clubbing and stuff, i found it hard to find folks on the same band width in terms of caring about cultural topics and current affairs.

I appreciate everyone explaining on "how" It is possible get nice photos in any area, But it's not really sOmething I really need to be told. I know that you train your eye to find the image around you and such, I know that you should be able to photograph what is in front of you, but as I stated, I miss represented my question. I just wondered if anyone else wishes they could travel to different areas or feel limited.

That's why I fled that place!!!I was there for just less than two years. The first few weeks were fun because I joined a wildlife photography meet up group and got to know some nice spots for spotting gators and birds... actually, you dont need to spot them, they usually just lie there and enjoy the sun.Then after that first few weeks, I felt that gators look the same and there are only so many times before I want to move on to something else.so theres the night scene.... but im not a night crawler so clubs dont attract me. Miami downtown is alrigjt, but not where the crowd is. there's the spanish monastary which is awesome the first time.I think what would be extremely interesting will be documenting the latino lifestyle in Miami. The cubans, columbians etc. However, it takes an insider to get introduced into the community, and I wasnt lucky enough to know one.Also, if you want to get out of town to see something different, well, north florida is a good 9~12 hours drive away. Atlanta is a full 12 hours away etc. So a weekeng getaway is tough to arrange.Also,being surrounded by ocean, youd think there's fishing boats. nope, just private recreational fishing.To get access to the real glades, you need airboat, and be careful not to tresspass.i left with a few things on the list that i didnt get to do, but those arent big deals.people think living in south florida is awesome. well, theres a reason why old folks like to retire here. also, unless you like clubbing and stuff, i found it hard to find folks on the same band width in terms of caring about cultural topics and current affairs.
Omg thank you thank you, I'm not crazy lol! you understand how boring this place is here! I'm not even talking photography wise, this place is just a generally boring place. There is a reason old people retire here and the people who are born here flee!

That's why I fled that place!!!I was there for just less than two years. The first few weeks were fun because I joined a wildlife photography meet up group and got to know some nice spots for spotting gators and birds... actually, you dont need to spot them, they usually just lie there and enjoy the sun.Then after that first few weeks, I felt that gators look the same and there are only so many times before I want to move on to something else.so theres the night scene.... but im not a night crawler so clubs dont attract me. Miami downtown is alrigjt, but not where the crowd is. there's the spanish monastary which is awesome the first time.I think what would be extremely interesting will be documenting the latino lifestyle in Miami. The cubans, columbians etc. However, it takes an insider to get introduced into the community, and I wasnt lucky enough to know one.Also, if you want to get out of town to see something different, well, north florida is a good 9~12 hours drive away. Atlanta is a full 12 hours away etc. So a weekeng getaway is tough to arrange.Also,being surrounded by ocean, youd think there's fishing boats. nope, just private recreational fishing.To get access to the real glades, you need airboat, and be careful not to tresspass.i left with a few things on the list that i didnt get to do, but those arent big deals.people think living in south florida is awesome. well, theres a reason why old folks like to retire here. also, unless you like clubbing and stuff, i found it hard to find folks on the same band width in terms of caring about cultural topics and current affairs.
Omg thank you thank you, I'm not crazy lol! you understand how boring this place is here! I'm not even talking photography wise, this place is just a generally boring place. There is a reason old people retire here and the people who are born here flee!

I hope you guys don't think Louisiana is any better.
No rolling hills here. No beautiful meadows, mountains, ..........waterfalls? Waterfalls and the rest of this stuff are non-existent.
Forget about beautiful clear water rivers and streams. We have Bayous and the water isn't clear. Looks like chocolate milk sometimes, it's so muddy.
From time to time I get in and around black water though. It's more about making the most of what you have, When you can.

Yep, that was an hour of my life I'll never get back

This post was like Nascar ,500 Miles and you are right back where yoiu started.

Hahaha

BlackRose.... we travel to new places because they are not familiar and we see them clearly for the first time. And we SEE. But after we travel a lot, every new place starts looking like something you've already seen before. So the real issue is not to travel to see new places, it is to train oneself to see in the familiar, that which is exotic. Can't comment on your photography, but I can comment on the wanderlust. It's real, and it's a natural desire. But ultimately, it fails to satisfy, as new becomes familiar, and the familiar is boring. So the real issue is to find a fresh way of looking at the familiar, and when you go to a new place, you've got the tools to fully experience it. In some ways, it's like relationships. If you had a relationship that didn't work, and you went to a new relationship, you may find that the same issues keep on coming up. So why is that? Partly because what one brings to the relationships hasn't changed. So it is with photography - even in a new setting, the old habits will give the same (more or less) results. So the issue becomes to change one's approach. Which is what BJ was trying to get to, I think.

I hope you guys don't think Louisiana is any better.No rolling hills here. No beautiful meadows, mountains, ..........waterfalls? Waterfalls and the rest of this stuff are non-existent.Forget about beautiful clear water rivers and streams. We have Bayous and the water isn't clear. Looks like chocolate milk sometimes, it's so muddy.From time to time I get in and around black water though. It's more about making the most of what you have, When you can.
Light, I've only wanted to visit the Bayou. Is Louisiana worth a visit?

BlackRose.... we travel to new places because they are not familiar and we see them clearly for the first time. And we SEE. But after we travel a lot, every new place starts looking like something you've already seen before. So the real issue is not to travel to see new places, it is to train oneself to see in the familiar, that which is exotic. Can't comment on your photography, but I can comment on the wanderlust. It's real, and it's a natural desire. But ultimately, it fails to satisfy, as new becomes familiar, and the familiar is boring. So the real issue is to find a fresh way of looking at the familiar, and when you go to a new place, you've got the tools to fully experience it. In some ways, it's like relationships. If you had a relationship that didn't work, and you went to a new relationship, you may find that the same issues keep on coming up. So why is that? Partly because what one brings to the relationships hasn't changed. So it is with photography - even in a new setting, the old habits will give the same (more or less) results. So the issue becomes to change one's approach. Which is what BJ was trying to get to, I think.

Yeah. That and something else.

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense! You can see an exampleOf my photography on the first page of this thread actually.

Most reactions

Back