I made my Purchase finally! Now I need HELP!!!!

Thank you everyone for all of the information. I am going to post my 2nd round of test shots of moving subjects. Please critique and criticize.

lol @ critique and criticize. I feel like even though we say C&C stands for comments and critiques, what you said is way more accurate!

All of the moving pictures taken were at 1/1000th or higher and the still pictures were in the 1/320 to 1/640th range. I know I need more work, but let me know what i'm doing right and what I'm definitely doing wrong! Thanks

Attachments

• $IMG_4550.jpg
    $IMG_4550.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 49
  • $IMG_4554.jpg
    $IMG_4554.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 88
  • $IMG_4556.jpg
    $IMG_4556.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 60
  • $IMG_4557.jpg
    $IMG_4557.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 57
  • $IMG_4581.jpg
    $IMG_4581.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 58
  • $IMG_4585.jpg
    $IMG_4585.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 47
  • $IMG_4589.jpg
    $IMG_4589.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 47
  • $IMG_4593.jpg
    $IMG_4593.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 49
  • $IMG_4600.jpg
    $IMG_4600.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 52
  • $IMG_4606.jpg
    $IMG_4606.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 54
lol @ critique and criticize. I feel like even though we say C&C stands for comments and critiques, what you said is way more accurate!

lol. I always thought C&C meant critique and criticize :lmao:

But, I did not use the 2x teleconverter obviously because I did not need too. I'm going to try the teleconverter and higher shutter speed with my monopod on Sunday.

wow these are pretty good! you froze motion well on most of the moving ones, and I can tell you've got your aperture closer to wide open, if not all the way. the pictures are great! I like the low vantage points you got on a lot of them. the shooting conditions were a little friendlier from the looks of things. looks like you're ready to try something more challenging!

the one of the two dogs chasing each other is cool, I just would have focused on the front one rather than the back one (which appears to be your dog... probably why you focused on him instead)...

wow these are pretty good! you froze motion well on most of the moving ones, and I can tell you've got your aperture closer to wide open, if not all the way. the pictures are great! I like the low vantage points you got on a lot of them. the shooting conditions were a little friendlier from the looks of things. looks like you're ready to try something more challenging!

Thanks. The weather was still 90 + degrees. :thumbdown: I was just trying my best. I absorbed everything that was said (from looking at the histogram to higher shutter speed) and tried again.

the one of the two dogs chasing each other is cool, I just would have focused on the front one rather than the back one (which appears to be your dog... probably why you focused on him instead)...

I tried focusing on both of them. They were moving way too fast and it was the best I could do.

the problem wasn't the movement, it was the aperture. With it that wide open, your DOF gets pretty small. since the B&W dog was closer, it was out of the focus plane. no biggie. still a cool shot. keep practicing! getting a new lens is just like getting a new camera. You have to learn how to use it and the little quirks that it presents!

DOF gets even shallower at longer focal lengths. Try f/9 or f/11 if you're not up that high already. Shooting at 800 ISO shouldn't have a negative affect on your shots unless you're under exposing images.

All of the moving pictures taken were at 1/1000th or higher and the still pictures were in the 1/320 to 1/640th range. I know I need more work, but let me know what i'm doing right and what I'm definitely doing wrong! Thanks
Are you using AI Servo (page 84 in the instruction manual) so you can track the moving dogs?

Are you selecting the Focus Point (page 86 in the instruction manual) used or is the camera deciding?

Taking pictures of moving objects takes practice.

A Beginners Guide to Capturing Motion in Your Photography

The Art Of Panning

Mastering Panning - Photographing Moving Objects

good point about AI servo and focus point. I had forgotten to mention those.

and why would you want to shoot at f/8 with the lovely bokeh that lens makes???

Most reactions

Back