I need a recommendation for a battery grip for my D90.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any suggestions besides the overpriced Nikon models?

Thanks.

I have the one from LinkDelight. Takes forever to get here, but I am very happy with it. I had one on my 50D and I have one on my 7D and 5D2. I have the one with the LCD screen and remote. The remote kind of sucks, but the battery grips have been great!

I have the alpha grip for my d90 (app 1/3 of the price of Nikon one) and it works and looks same as the original MB-D80.

MB-D80 is the clear winner if you can afford it. I'd say first party grip is a bigger deal than first party flash.

Guaranteed no incompatibilities, designed and built by Nikon, will last for years. And my recommendation would be the MB-D80 as well since that's what I have on my D90.
I should have checked the model number. I thought the MB-D10 was the correct model and it's $249.

$149 isn't cheap, but it's a lot better than $250.

My question is "why bother with a grip at all"?

The D90 grip gets you nothing except added weight - no increased frame rate etc.
I know people think it's so much better with a grip for ballance and battery life. To me it's just added weight and size for no real benefit.
If the nikon grip is too much, buy an extra battery and be done with it.

At least with the D300/D700 grip you get additional frame rate for the extra $$$.

The D90 grip gets you nothing except added weight - no increased frame rate etc.
I know people think it's so much better with a grip for ballance and battery life. To me it's just added weight and size for no real benefit.

At least with the D300/D700 grip you get additional frame rate for the extra $$$.

Have you ever shot a really long session handheld in portrait orientation? With a big chunky f/2.8 tele? You may be singing a different tune about the importance of balance and ease of handling then.

Have you ever shot a really long session handheld in portrait orientation? With a big chunky f/2.8 tele? You may be singing a different tune about the importance of balance and ease of handling then.

Yes. Doesn't bother me much to be honest. Hiking with more weight than I need bothers me more.

Yes. Doesn't bother me much to be honest. Hiking with more weight than I need bothers me more.

well, I mean I'd leave the grip at home if I were hiking. The thing about the grip is that it's not welded on.

Yes that's true. But then (for me) another reason not to bother. ;)

I think my point is that someone shooting paid gigs with 2.8 zooms would just buy the best for $250 and be done with it.
If cost is that much a factor, why buy a cheapo knockoff at all for no gain and perhaps less dependability.

Yes that's true. But then (for me) another reason not to bother. ;)

I think my point is that someone shooting paid gigs with 2.8 zooms would just buy the best for $250 and be done with it.
If cost is that much a factor, why buy a cheapo knockoff at all for no gain and perhaps less dependability.

I agree with that. If you're going to get a grip, get the real thing. If you're not, just don't bother.

Most reactions

Back