I need some advice for a new lens

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 40D and have been using mostly my 50mm f/1.8 lens for my shoots. I am not 100% happy with it but its far better then what i was using.

I have about 1200 to spent and would consider holding off a bit to raise that to about 1500. I am a portrait photographer for mostly children and would love some advice.

Are you into prime lenses or zooms? What about your curent lenses are you not happy with? Are you looking to upgrade IQ, zoom or speed? The 50 f/1.8 is chincy but good. With that budget, you could upgrade to the 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135 f/2L or better. All are great portrait lenses. For kids, unless they are sitting still (yeah right) I prefer to use a zoom. Since working distance is at a premium. I prefer the EF 70-200 /2.8L IS becaues it suits my shooting style. I give them a bit more room so they act more natural. You can either go with the IS or non-IS but the f/2.8 is great to have. Your list of current lenses covers the range, but not the speed and you will be upgrading to quality glass also. The EF 24-70 f/2.8L is also another great choice. I am debating whether to upgrade from my 24-105 f/4L IS.

Definetly depends on what you want, but i would recomend a 70-200, either f/4, f/2.8 and with or without IS

If you want it strictly for business purposes I would suggest a 70-200 2.8. This is an exellent portrait lens especially for children since you can get relatively intimate without having to be in their faces. It will also give you he shuter speeds you ned to keep up with he whirlwinds that chidren are since I know from experience if you can get them to sit still for minute it will only be a second befor we transition to the next pose without you teling them to. I do not know if you have a kit lens that came with the camera but I am sure that you will get alot more general use out of your camera with a wider focal-length than a 50. This is why I asked if it is strictly for portrait or business purposes.

No i didn't get the kit lens though now i wish i would have, it would have works for my zoom purposes. I primarily use my 50mm f/1.8 but i would love to go to 1.4 or even 1.2.

Just a few i have been looking at are:
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
Wide Angle EF 24mm f/1.4L USM Autofocus Lens
Normal EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Autofocus Lens
Zoom Super Wide Angle EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens

I don't know if i am in the right ball park and I just noticed none of these are IS :(

The problem i have noticed with the 50mm is that it is sometimes hard to get a shot that i want in smaller places specially when photographing newborns. I love having a zoom when working with toddlers since they are all over the place but my zoom is sh!t so i wont use that anymore for paid sessions. This is one time i really want to invest in good glass and eventually i will upgrade my camera to full frame so that is something else i don't know if i need to take into consideration

The $1000 EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS won't work with a full-frame camera. Does the $1200 EF 24-70 f/2.8L cover the zoom range that you want?

Well I think you have a good list but you need to pick from that list wich one fits your personal style of shooting. Anyone here can tell you what they like but the bes one for you depends on you.

Thanks JIP. :)

The biggest problem I have with my 50mm is that many times i wish i could be a couple steps closer to get the shot i want. I have never used a wide angle lens so that alone is something to consider. the 24-70mm would give me the range i want to cover both little ones and the older children while having a prime 24mm would give me f/1.4 which is awesome.

unless there is something i should add to my list i will go down to the local shop and check them out first hand since over all it seems i have a pretty good starting point???

Depending on what your working distance might be, I'd go with either the 24-105L or 70-200 f/4 or 2.8L.

The 24-105 is a more appealing range for APS-C and it's dynamite if you get a 5D.

Thanks JIP. :)

The biggest problem I have with my 50mm is that many times i wish i could be a couple steps closer to get the shot i want. I have never used a wide angle lens so that alone is something to consider. the 24-70mm would give me the range i want to cover both little ones and the older children while having a prime 24mm would give me f/1.4 which is awesome.

unless there is something i should add to my list i will go down to the local shop and check them out first hand since over all it seems i have a pretty good starting point???

It sounds like you need the zoom. I would advise against getting the 50 f/1.2L for now since you already have a 50mm in the bag albeit not of L quality. That clunker will set you back at least $1500. All the lenses you listed ara excellent choices, but only the 24-70 gives you any additional reach over your 50 f/1.8. the 24-105 f/4L IS is great lense with lots of zoom for a wide-angle, just really low-light stuff is the only detraction. I was able to get usable shots at a barbeque at 1/6 @ ISO 1200 though. After you do upgrade though, you can unload your unwanted lenses for a fair price and re-invest the sum.

I think u would like a Canon 50mm 1.2 L lens would be great for kids but limited what u could do with it. My 2nd choice would be a 70-200 f2.8 is usm one of my fav lense. i get asked these q alot working in a camera shop

thanks for all the great tips. There is so much to consider. I really would love a wide angle zoom but then i know how important having a good prime lens would be.

It really comes down to your shooting style and preference. If you feel you are able to frame your subjects properly with the prime, than by all means they are the preferred choice. But as I noticed, a child is next to me in one second and 12 feet away the next. Unless you plan on chasing them around (which would be a good workout) the zoom is indispensible. More food for thought.

i have a 40d and got a 17-55 about two months ago.
i haven't taken it off my camera yet.
i can shoot inside my family room, wide open and get speeds of at least 1/80, granted i have a huge window;
but the 28-135 was at speeds around 1/30.. too slow for kids.

if you go to full frame, lenses hold their value.
that's how i justified getting mine.
i figured if i stop using it or don't like it, i can sell it.
it seems that there's quite a market for used gear.

i have a 50 1.8 and didn't like it.
in low light the auto focus was terrible.
and i was always backing into walls trying to get the shot.
not to mention the IQ was so great.

no complaints about the 17-55.
i LOVE it.

i figure i got a couple years before my kid is out racing on the track,
so i don't need something long just yet..
but i'm saving up for my next lens, a 70-200 2.8 IS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back