I need some advice...

Allsmiles7282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here is the deal. In the past week I have search high and low for a studio here in Charleston (and the surrounding areas) to get involved with and there are zero. Everyone here seems to be in business for themselves and does their own thing. (Before I moved I was part of a studio) So my husband and I wrestled with what I should do. My degree is in Organic Chemistry and I will literally shoot myself if I had to do anything remotely related to it. So...I've decided (with my husband's support) to go into business myself. My husband makes enough that I don't really have to work, so I have the time, and I even have some savings that I've been saving for something like this. So I'm upgrading my equipment and going for it!

So here is where the advice part comes in... I have always been a Nikon shooter. I have owned three nikons and have five or six nikkor lenses. However, a few photographer friends of mine have been getting some excellent work out of Canons. Then there is the fact that I think the Canon 5D is the only camera that is "full format." So I don't know whether I should upgrade to a Nikon D200 or go with the Canon 5D? Any advice would me much welcomed!

a few photographer friends of mine have been getting some excellent work out of Canons
There are plenty of photographers getting excellent results with Nikon's as well. I wouldn't recommend jumping ship, especially since you have a collection of lenses. (and this is comming from a Canon shooter)

The Canon 5D does have a 'full frame' sensor...meaning that the sensor is the same size as 35mm film. Canon also has the 1Ds mkII (and posibly other) full frame DSLR. Rumor has it that Nikon will eventually have it's own full frame sensor.

From what I can tell, Canon does have the edge in clean, noise free images. Especially with the 5D, the 1Ds mkII and the soon to be released 1D mkIII. However, Nikon is no slouch, so don't worry about it.

What camera do you have now, and for what reasons do you need to upgrade? The Nikon D200 is a great camera but so are the D80 and D50.

Good luck on the studio!

What Nikkor's do you have?

Even though i'm personally a Nikon shooter, I shoot with 5D's and 1Ds's all the time in the studio, usually with the 24-70L or 90mm Tilt-Shift. I hate using the 1Ds, the two hand operation is just dumb. The 5D operates identical to the 30D, and strikingly similar to the 10/20D. When the day is over, I still prefer my D70s over the 5D and especially the 1Ds. The way Nikon's work just make so much more sense to me.

Just becuase photographers have been getting good results out of Canon's, doesn't mean you can't do it with Nikons. Just get what's more comfortable, and faster for you to use. For the exception of the full frame sensor, the D200 is twice the body the 5D is. The D200 can do 90% of what the D2x can do, the 5D is a slow shooting, plastic, full frame 30D. IMO the 30D is a better body than the 5D.

JMO--it would take a whole lot to get me to abandon 5 or 6 quality lenses and/or some of their features to go over to a new line. I should mention I own Canon and am very happy.

Truth is, especially with Canon and Nikon, at any given time one or the other will have something new and improved that is catching everyone's eye.

I think you are trying to answer the "boxer or brief" question. (Boxer is the correct answer!):lmao:

I would say it would depend on what type of photography. Nikon is great for pretty much everything, except really low light stuff.

I use Canon. I made the switch from Nikon about 4 years ago. Switching from one system to another is really cost prohibitive. Nikon and Canon both perform well and the biggest difference is what you are looking for in an image. In my humble opinion Nikon is slightly cooler in color than the Canon and to dependent on menus for quick changes. I use 5D's and 20/30D's for most of what I do and am happy with them. I have used Nikon D70S and D200 and they too were good but just not what I was looking for.
Good luck with your enterprise. I too have a degree that I would rather not use and sympathize with you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back