i need some advices

maria jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello,
i just got my first digital camera, Canon T1i, and i am very confused regarding the lenses. I like to photograph flowers and insects, portraits, landscapes and pretty much everything. i want to buy one or two lenses that can cover everything that i need to do.Can anyone give me an advice? What are the best lenses with a low price?

Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Macro
Excellent lens to start out with about $400.

remember jack of all trades, master of none. typically, the more ranges a lens covers, the less the quality of the image. So an 18-200 will be less quality than a 24-70 which will be less quality than a 50.

Many more things come into play, but this is a general rule

Did you get the camera with the lens? (or just the body) If your camera shipped with the kit lens, I will say go use it and learn more about your camera and lens.

Once you know more, you should know what you need to get.

yeah 50mm as a start

I'd recommend picking up the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. A great book, recommended by many here, for the beginner. That, or any other way of trying to gain knowledge of photography

Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Macro
Excellent lens to start out with about $400.

Tamron is OK? I also just bought a T1i on Amazon and chose a kit with a Tamron lens and a Tamron Macro and now have been worried that I might not have made a good choice. I was thinking about spending the extra for a Canon lens but I am only do this as a hobby for myself so I don't want to buy things I don't need.

hello,
i just got my first digital camera, Canon T1i, and i am very confused regarding the lenses. I like to photograph flowers and insects, portraits, landscapes and pretty much everything. i want to buy one or two lenses that can cover everything that i need to do.Can anyone give me an advice? What are the best lenses with a low price?

It took me a few months of shooting to realise what kind of lens I need. It's natural to be confused at first.
If you have the Kit Lens, keep shooting till you realise what is it that you miss. If you feel like you generally need to get closer to your subjects, you might want a telephoto lens (such as 70-200). If you feel like you need to shoot in lower light, you will need a prime lens (such as 50mm 1.8).

Now if you only have the body without a Kit Lens, I suggest you buy the 50mm 1.8 which goes for around $100. It's a cheap lens, and has a great image quality. It is very flexible. You can shoot in low light, you can shoot portraits, flowers, and general photography :D

While I respect everyones opinion in this thread so far. I think this is the best advice I have seen. I have a nifty fifty and I use it very seldom. But when I shoot in low light that is one of the lenes I go for. Shoot for awhile, learn your gear, begin to develop your "eye" and then and only then start dropping money into glass.

Michael

You could always rent a lens to check it out.

Wait, what?! you can do that? Where?!?!?!

Still debating if this is sarcasm or an honest question.. :)

There are some online sites that will ship you a lens for rental, although they often have a hefty deposit required.

There are 2 local camera stores here that rent lenses for a day, 2 days, weekend, week, month...they also rent flashes, strobes, cameras,... If you live in a decent size city, I'm sure there are a few camera stores (I mean real camera stores, not those that just sell P&S cameras, the ones you'd get a Canon 5D Mk2 or a Nikon D3s at). If the store doesn't, I'm sure they can recommend some place nearby that does.

Adorama rents them...i imagine B&H would too, it starts at $14 a day for lenses and goes up from there...

With Shipping? Too bad I live in Canada.

You could always rent a lens to check it out.

Wait, what?! you can do that? Where?!?!?!

Still debating if this is sarcasm or an honest question.. :)

There are some online sites that will ship you a lens for rental, although they often have a hefty deposit required.

There are 2 local camera stores here that rent lenses for a day, 2 days, weekend, week, month...they also rent flashes, strobes, cameras,... If you live in a decent size city, I'm sure there are a few camera stores (I mean real camera stores, not those that just sell P&S cameras, the ones you'd get a Canon 5D Mk2 or a Nikon D3s at). If the store doesn't, I'm sure they can recommend some place nearby that does.

Honest question, I knew you could rent lighting gear/studio gear, just not lenses/bodies.

All I have here in ottawa is henrys and vistek, :( I looked online at some rentals I really want to rent an expensive lens now! :lmao:

Most reactions

Back