I need to create fire.

If you use dry dairy creamer powder, you can get it to flame up real fast, and be over really quick. You need to get it in the air...Like blow it somehow, or dump it out of something and make sure it hits a flame. The fire it makes sounds like it would be perfect, but you would have to think of creative way to do it... =/

That's what I was going to suggest too... Foot-pump+straw+burning candle+powder=fire ball. But he hasn't said the effect he's after. Smoke, no smoke, blue flame, yellow flames, fire ball, etc.

I think he's already blown himself up. :p

Rubber cement will probably suffice for the effect you're looking for.

For a controll burn at the push of a button use the burner from an old oil furnace ( it throws a long flame ). Becket AFG are my favorite type.

Last edited:
One of the most common liquid fuels I've seen for small scale SFX is naptha. As Bifurcator says, a lot depends on exactly what you want, particularly for flame colour and brightness. Alcohols tend not to burn with a luminous flame. For very rapid, soft-ish explosion effects we have used rich gas mixtures contained by cling film (Saran wrap) or similar, but my gut feeling right now is not to give details beyond that.

I have a couple of front-surface mirrors so that I can get the camera out of the direct line and behind protection.

It goes without saying that people who do SFX are usually very familiar with the materials they are using, have done a lot of experimentation, have learned from other people, are very much aware of what can go wrong and know how to prevent catastrophe or injury.

Good luck,
Helen

I need color in the flame and I don't won't a long continuous burn. Alcohol sounds like the easiest thing to try. I just need a burst of flame about a little large than fist sized and circular. The white bowl is going to be used as a backdrop in case the flames aren't thick enough so that I can chop it out.

It's for an very vivid effect on a picture I took.

And trust me, I do a lot of grilling. I tend to want to keep my record of not burning myself going.

I need color in the flame and I don't won't a long continuous burn. Alcohol sounds like the easiest thing to try. I just need a burst of flame about a little large than fist sized and circular. The white bowl is going to be used as a backdrop in case the flames aren't thick enough so that I can chop it out.

And trust me, I do a lot of grilling. I tend to want to keep my record of not burning myself going.

Alcohol won't give you a nice yellow flame. It burns too cleanly. I would suggest smokeless black powder. You can buy it at gun stores. It will create an instant flame and die out quickly. Do what Helen suggests and use a mirror angled at 45 degrees. Don't put you or your camera over the flame.

That sounds like an acetylene balloon. Do you know how to set it up?

Alcohol won't give you a nice yellow flame. It burns too cleanly. I would suggest smokeless black powder. You can buy it at gun stores. It will create an instant flame and die out quickly. Do what Helen suggests and use a mirror angled at 45 degrees. Don't put you or your camera over the flame.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

don't use the grill starter in side!! grill starter will blacken your ceiling from 7 feet down. it flares up very very high. i suggest trying lighter fluid or zippo fluid.

One has to wonder why Matt knows this... :confused:

my brother used to work for a fire works company, so he was able to keep the broken packing and loose fire works that couldn't be sold. That were good summers. Constant toxic haze over the house but fun. Once while camping we had a huge box of fire works and lit them all at once, it was a glorious sight.:lmao:

here is a picture of a gasoline fire .http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2343/2338964349_06ae77837b_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back