I picked up some vintage cameras tonight.

Boz Mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My buddy cleans out houses and he came across these cameras. He knew that I have a small collection going and he gave them to me. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about them.

I got a kodak duaflex, a brownie reflex synchro model, and some polaroids.

1. do they make film for these?
2. is the aperture adjustable?
3. are they worth anything?
4. do they still make film forthem?\
5. I cant seem to figure out how to open the Brownie camera.
6. Anything else I should know?
7. do any of these take batteries or are they mechanical?

I can post photos if need be.

Last edited:
I got a kodak duaflex, a brownie reflex synchro model, and some polaroids.
1. do they make film for these?
-Duaflex and reflex: sort of, polaroids: depends on model
2. is the aperture adjustable?
-Duaflex and reflex: no, polaroids: yes (usually)
3. are they worth anything?
-High fun value, no monetary value (except for the polaroid, depending on the model)
4. do they still make film forthem?
-Refer to #1
5. I cant seem to figure out how to open the Brownie camera.
-Release on bottom, back should slide down and out
6. Anything else I should know?
-Save the empty spools that should be inside
The Land List. Orphan Camera Manuals. Respooling 620
7. do any of these take batteries or are they mechanical?
-Those Kodaks are mechanical, the polaroid most likely needs a battery.

My buddy cleans out houses and he came across these cameras. He knew that I have a small collection going and he gave them to me. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about them.

I got a kodak duaflex ...

Uses type 127 film. Mostly discontinued some years ago but a few types
still available from specialty film sources like Freestyle, B&H, etc.

... a brownie reflex synchro model...
Type 620 film. Same deal as noted above.

... and some polaroids.
Polaroid made hundreds of camera models using many different types of
film. They also stopped making all film a few years ago but some film types
(previously purchased and unused) can still be found on eBay and elsewhere.
Fuji also still makes compatible films for some Polaroid models. You would have
to reveal the model names to get more info. Some of them require batteries
and some use films that have a built-in battery.

Values on the Kodaks you mentioned are low. Values on Polaroids run from zilch
to hundreds depending on which model and condition but most aren't worth much
of anything.

The "hot, new thing to do" with the old Duaflexes is to take digital photos off of the viewfinder screen image! Seriously--I kid you not--there is a growing movement of people who have cobbled together tubes of various types, which allow a lens to be postioned well-centered over the viewing screen. I saw a how-to article on Shutterbug magazine's web site not long ago. This is called TtV or Through the VIewfinder photography. Flickr has a discussion on it Flickr: Discussing What makes ttv photographs so appealing in Through The Viewfinder

The November, 2009 issue of Shutterbug magazine had an article on TtV Shutterbug: TtV Photography and the article is entitled "TtV Photography; The Duaflex Lives Again".

I had a Duaflex II many years ago.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm going to have to look into shooting through the box camera. There were 2 polaroid 600 instant cameras, and there was another one that opened like an accordian. Not sure the model, it smelled bad so I put it out in the garage.

Shame you're not in the UK, I have some Gratispool B&W 127 film that I'm never going to use, unopened. You could have had it.

Are you going to put them back into service again?> post the pics up if you do :)

Compur-I think you have the film types switched; Duoflex is 620 and the Syncro is 127.

^ You're right. My mistake. They should be switched in my earlier post. Thanks.

Heres some photos of the cameras.

RXQVB.jpg

gOqZ9.jpg

5fNeN.jpg

What about that polaroid? Can I still get film for that thing? It smells so bad too, like moldy or cigarettes or something.

What about that polaroid? Can I still get film for that thing? It smells so bad too, like moldy or cigarettes or something.

Yeah you can. Fuji Packfilm works. First thing you need to do is check out the battery/electronics. Open up the back, look at the lens from the rear and trip the shutter. If you dont see the shutter open, you need a new battery or you need to wire in some AAs (easier and cheaper than replacing the original battery). Once you get the electronics to wake up, clean the rollers and you're ready to go.

Yeah you can. Fuji Packfilm works. First thing you need to do is check out the battery/electronics. Open up the back, look at the lens from the rear and trip the shutter. If you dont see the shutter open, you need a new battery or you need to wire in some AAs (easier and cheaper than replacing the original battery). Once you get the electronics to wake up, clean the rollers and you're ready to go.

There was what looked like a primitive 9 volt in it when I got it, not sure though. I'm gonna look into this later in the week.

Wow! I would love to experiment with those cameras in real life! Especially the Polaroid. I once came across a guy on eBay who found a mint conditioned Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 in his attic and didn't know who it belonged to. He sold it to me for 20 bucks "buy it now" - I was thrilled! I can only imagine how you must have felt being handed some vintage cameras like this.

Does that polaroid take the Fuji FP-100c? I just bought a pack of that for another polaroid land camera that I got for $6.

Most reactions

Back