I used to SUCK HARD, you guys.

While I do like the "after" photos better than the "before" ones, I'm a complete newbie, so I have no idea what makes the later ones better save for the little experience I've had the last month or two. Wouldn't it be a fun little exercise if you guys told us newbs what made the old photos bad and the new ones good? :)

Learning exposure, and how light affects everything, are probably the biggest two for me.

While I do like the "after" photos better than the "before" ones, I'm a complete newbie, so I have no idea what makes the later ones better save for the little experience I've had the last month or two. Wouldn't it be a fun little exercise if you guys told us newbs what made the old photos bad and the new ones good? :)

Learning exposure, and how light affects everything, are probably the biggest two for me.

Also getting better at Photoshop. Those first two photos seem to be heavily edited.

I'd like to take the prize as worst

3261691100_bba1fd1966_o.jpg

For those wanting an idea of what's wrong:
1) Bottom of the primary subject (tree) missing

2) Details are hazy and not as crisp sharp as one would expect given that the tree isn't moving

3) Incrased hazyness as a result of shooting through old window glass instead of opening the window (or going outside :p)

On the plus points;

1) "golden hour" style lighting (as I recall this was lunchtime so not the true golden hour, just a happenstance of the weather

Neutral points:
1) Composition - a bit central and could be more interesting, but not a total disaster, its more subject clipping off of parts that's detracting.

And I'm sure if I thought about it for more than a few moments there'd be a few more wrong things that annoy me in the shot (beyond the desire to want to re-take it with one exposure for the whites and one to get the tree full silhouette and then, if needed, blend results together - or do the opposite and have one well exposed for the tree and one the sky and then blend).

Now we need some examples of the fantastic new EROSE to compare!

[snip]

^^^^^I mean I'm not gonna post a whole sh*tload. I'm linking them from galleries on my site, so once those change, these images will be broken anyway. :lol:

I'll have one of each, please.

One of them is not old enough for you to have. :lol:

Don't feel too bad.

[snip]

Those weren't taken that long ago. I'm not the best photographer out there by any means, but my god a little education and experience can go a long way.

Oh, I don't, haha. I just think it's funny.

While I do like the "after" photos better than the "before" ones, I'm a complete newbie, so I have no idea what makes the later ones better save for the little experience I've had the last month or two. Wouldn't it be a fun little exercise if you guys told us newbs what made your old photos bad and your new ones good? :)

I don't have enough time to self-critique right now on my 15 minute break. Maybe later when I'm off work. Stay-tuned...

However if I had to sum it up:

Also getting better at Photoshop. Those first two photos seem to be heavily edited.

^^^Those are all accurate summations.

Also, Rexbobcat: You're right. And the worst part? I thought that looked good. :puke::puke:

Yup, speaking as a guy who remembers you the day you joined... and watching as you went from pretty awful to faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar superior anything I could produce and beyond... in A REALLY short period of time... it's been fun (and frankly, exciting) to watch.

Awww, thanks. :hug:: :heart:

I bet your husband is not happy you suck less

Yeah, we've been working through counseling about it. :biglaugh:

I agree, your shooting technique has definitely improved 10 fold.

I think this site has helped me immensely in understanding my faults, and applying them to future shots.

Interesting how sexually selective topic titles, using sexual innuendo's gets lots of attention.

:hail:

Op You are a pretty gal...old or new.

Last edited:
Yeah, some of us remember when you sucked. :lmao:
Just kidding!! You were NEVER as bad as me!

All I'd really say about my own work is that I don't suck quite as much now as I used to…but in terms of portraiture, and compared to you…I still suck pretty hard. :D

Well, we all have our specialties. Being a great studio photog does not mean you are a great street photog and vice versa.

Your birds are very nice. Probably better than I could do. (I don't shoot birds, so I don't know, but just guess.)

Interesting how sexually selective topic titles, using sexual innuendo's gets lots of attention.

Sex runs the world. Have a shot of 2 gals in the street and it is a snapshot. Have their boobs out and it is noteworthy.

Sex runs the world. Have a shot of 2 gals in the street and it is a snapshot. Have their boobs out and it is noteworthy.

Noteworthy?! LOL!! That would be a work of art!!! :lol:

If this is a show your worst contest, I will pwn all of you.

Sorry Chris, you'll lose. I cannot show mine because the internet will disown me. Yes, that bad. In fact, trying to upload to prove the point, the connection went down and I got the message "Do NOT do that again. Ever. Microsoft error number 03880fa12". I don't have an Apple to try this on, but I suspect it may be something similar.

Sorry Chris, you'll lose. I cannot show mine because the internet will disown me. Yes, that bad. In fact, trying to upload to prove the point, the connection went down and I got the message "Do NOT do that again. Ever. Microsoft error number 03880fa12". I don't have an Apple to try this on, but I suspect it may be something similar.

Actually I think apple dispatches a squad of highly trained sword wielding anime characters to have you slain before you can make an additional attempt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back