I want to be a slave!

"Hi, My name is ___________. I was wondering if you're looking for an assistant. I'm very enthusiastic about photography and would like to learn it" - that might be a start.
As for working for free... some 15yrs ago when I got into this field, I assisted two weddings (Saturday & Sunday) for free. The following weekend, I was called in and was getting payed a whole $40/7hrs. :lmao:

Thanks! I'm not one for words so this helps allot!

No problem.
I'd stick to phone or better as a walk in. I guess I am old fashion in that sense. I think it is more personal when you talk face-to-face or voice-to-voice plus it also shows attention and focus. Email is ok as a later means of communication, but initially, I think more personal approach might be better.
Speaking of email, I just got one regarding my gig tomorrow (but I worked with this guy for about 10yrs).

That sounds good. I think I will build my portfolio up with more people shots and then print it out and bring it with me. Sound good?

You aren't going to studio to get hired as a shooter, you're going there as an assistant. Though it depends on photographer you're working with, you probably won't be doing much camera handling, more of carrying cases, moving lights, packing, repacking, getting parents together and ready to jump into the picture, there's also a chance that you won't be allowed to bring your camera either it might distract you from your payed duties and/or legal issues. Once you get a hang on things then you'll be giving more camera time...
On the video part of the weddings, lighting was my main responsibility. The only thing I had to do with the camera is bring a next battery, tape, mic, but I might have held that thing few times. When I jumped on photoside, my first role was rolling bronica correctly and then unloading the film. Next 5-6 jobs, it was my main thing, that and made sure the lights were firing. I think we banged out about 15jobs b4 he showed me how to change lenses on bronicas. Again, a lot will depend on the person you'll be working with but someone who is old school your camera handling will probably be minimal.

I have a better solution. This topic came up less than a week ago, and I typed a crapload and detailed post.

Ever try the search function? ;)

BTW, just by your attitude... I will say that unless you change it (the "I wanna be someone's slave" part), be ready to be abused as anything BUT a VOL and then when you get fed up... dropped and replaced. There was a post here where someone was even made to be a DISHWASHER in her role as a mentored learner! Change it, and fast... unless you want to be a dishwasher at some photo studio, that is. ')

I have a better solution. This topic came up less than a week ago, and I typed a crapload and detailed post.

Ever try the search function? ;)

BTW, just by your attitude... I will say that unless you change it (the "I wanna be someone's slave" part), be ready to be abused as anything BUT a VOL and then when you get fed up... dropped and replaced. There was a post here where someone was even made to be a DISHWASHER in her role as a mentored learner! Change it, and fast... unless you want to be a dishwasher at some photo studio, that is. ')
Tbh, By using the word "slave"

I think he was making a joke about become a working class citizen (or a Slave) as usually the money is rubbish for <20 year olds (over here £4 - 7 an hour) in otherwords.. slave Labour.

Don't listen to Jerry he always acts like he is some kind of big shot and thinks Joe McNally should bow down to him. In my opinion he needs to change his attitude. Just keep asking around. You might have to wait until your 16 but at least you will have made some contacts. You already got the school newspaper thing going for you so that shows your interest. Use the time you have to take better portfolio pictures and learn the business side of photography. This way when you turn 16 you sound like you know what your talking about and you are more prepared to assist someone.

Last edited:
I think Jerry was just pointing out that there are some people who will abuse the eager learner and use them as a free set of extra hands to do the dirty work. Certainly as a free untrained aid you are going to get all the bottom level jobs, packing, carrying and such - but also you are there to learn something of the craft as well so the person taking you on should be aware of that and make some effort to fullfill that part of the deal.
Its just a reminder to not get into a rut where you are working your arms off (for free) whilst not getting any benefit to yourself - nor learning anything but how to carry stuff (and sometimes wash dishes); whilst also remembreing that many lessons are going to be informal (you help setup the studio gear - take note of where things are and why, if its possible ask a question or two - there you leant how to setup a studio for a scene)

Don't listen to Jerry he always acts like he is some kind of big shot and thinks Joe McNally should bow down to him. In my opinion he needs to change his attitude.

Uhhmm.. no.

But I did go through the experience of contacting pro photographers TWO TIMES both successfully, and this led me right into the beginnings of a very fun and fantastic professional career as a fledgling wedding photographer.

Now, if you don't want to listen, fine. YOU go bang your head into the wall like I did before *I* figured it out.

Also, the reason I said "do a search" is becuase there is NO WAY in hell I am going to retype all that info AGAIN when a simple search will get him the info FASTER.

YOU sound like the kind of person that just wants his hand held everywhere you go... to not even be motivated enough to do a freaking search.

GRRRRRR... some people!! :thumbdown:

I think Jerry was just pointing out that there are some people who will abuse the eager learner and use them as a free set of extra hands to do the dirty work.

Exactly... I am really not sure, but wasn't it CINKA that said she was doing dishes as part of her photography internship? Wasn't she also just carrying stuff and learning nothing? I do not think that this is what anyone wants... to learn how to just carry 100 pounds of camera gear and then only to be told to go watch the car or something?

Certainly as a free untrained aid you are going to get all the bottom level jobs, packing, carrying and such - but also you are there to learn something of the craft as well so the person taking you on should be aware of that and make some effort to fullfill that part of the deal.

Which is why I said in point #1 of my other post... LEARN the basics. Once you show that you are a competent photographer, not someone that needs to be shown how to turn on the camera... THAT is the only way to get taken seriously.

A pro is NOT there to teach you the basics. Go take an online course or read a book for that. :)

Ok I'll do a search. :grumpy: but realy I didn't know this topic comes up so much.

And I think I know at least some basic photography know how. Evean though I ask some dumb questions. But I certainly will go there and talk face to face.

Ok I'll do a search. :grumpy: but realy I didn't know this topic comes up so much.

And I think I know at least some basic photography know how. Evean though I ask some dumb questions. But I certainly will go there and talk face to face.

If I was a pro and someone came to me, I would not teach them "the basics". This is also something that both professionals told me. They are out there running a business, and in general do not have time to be teaching basic photography to beginners. They are looking for people that have something to offer THEM, be it ability to do manual labor or advanced skills to take advantage of as a 2nd shooter.

If I was you, I would strongly suggest you have a STRONG base before going out there and ask for mentoring or internships. May not sound too fair, but thats life and more importantly... thats business. This is one of the biggest keys to getting a mentor.

Most reactions

Back