Im a beginner

you might want to try out a few cameras, too :)

I edited mine a little and also added a #8 is the shopping points list. ;)

Last edited:
Mike the D80 will serve you well and, you wont out grow it anytime soon. I still use mine despite having a D300, which I use more for my main photography. I agree with Bifurcator on the latest entry level cameras. They are cheap pastic junk to me. My D50 was a more solid build to me over the newer models. The d40/60 feel like toys compared to it. Id say get the D80 it is a good camera.

Ritz was selling the body only Canon 30D for about $700.

Any way you cut it though, you're not going to get the lens you need for under $600. Sigma makes a 70-200 f/2.8 for about $700 iirc. If you're doing night time sports and the area's not well lit, a 70-300 f/4-5.6 is going to just piss you off.

Canon makes a 20D that is almost identical to the 30D and they go for about $400 used...maybe a little less now. That would give you about $600 to play with. That's almost enough for a fast telephoto.

Hey Mike,

I was wavering between the Canon Xsi and the D80 for months. Did tons of online research, read everything I could find. Eventually, I made my way into a store and held each in my hands. This made my decision on the spot (went with the D80).

This is not to say you should get the Nikon too; just that it's important to get the feel of the camera.

Anyway, I am loving the D80, and my gut feeling is that I may never need another camera.

(of course, I'm an old dude :mrgreen:)

Best of luck,

Jon

Jon, thanks for the recommendation... d80 it is

Jon, thanks for the recommendation... d80 it is

Sports eh...3 FPS might suck compared to the 5 fps out of the D200, 20D, 30D, and 40D...

Just holding a camera in your hands is a poor way to make a choice when you're shooting for certain subjects.

the D300 isn't even in the same class as the d40. D40 is very entry level, you'd outgrow it very quickly.

D300 is mid-level. So, yes it is worth the money over a d40, but so is a d80. (higher end entry level)

Don't spent money on D80. Has some over exposure problems, hopefully solved on the new one D300. Good light!

In my opinion (if you're going Nikon) the D80 is the lowest you should go unless you are trying to save money. If you simply cannot afford the D80, then fine... go D60, and if you can't swing that, then honestly I'd suggest buying a used D70S. I could not in good conscience recommend a D40. I won't go quite as far as Bi, but only because I'm trying to be fair to people who don't want to (or can't) spend the cash. They're "fine", but I don't recommend them.

If you're a first time user of a DSLR, I recommend buying a single flexible inexpensive lens to start. I am very fond of the 18-135 that comes as a kit lens in many cases. The D80 with this lens is like ~$1000 total.

This gives you a good lens to start working with, will give you some good flexibility to take a variety of shots, and will give you some clear walls to bump into and make some mistakes. (you learn a lot from mistakes)

This also stays away from spending $1000 on a lens that you eventually realize wasn't the one you need... so when you wind up retiring that 18-135 you won't cry yourself to sleep at night. ;)

People will say on and on that you gotta buy the best glass you can... and ultimately I agree, but initially you wouldn't notice the difference between good glass and "not so good", so save your pennies for now and pickup some other accessories you WILL need much sooner, such as an external flash.

FYI, I use a D300 currently... I have used a D200 extensively, also own a D100 and have a fair amount of experience horsing around with the D80, D60 and D40. I have used the D300/200/100 for professional and personal work. I've put about 6000 shots through my D300 in the past 4-5 months.

Don't spent money on D80. Has some over exposure problems, hopefully solved on the new one D300. Good light!
It is only a problem if you use the Vari/Progammed modes. Using Aperture, Manual and, Shutter Modes it is just fine. I have only had over exposed photos if I was having an alzhiemers moment.

From one newb to another, dont discount the other brand names just because everyone here has Canon, Nikon or Sony. Other brands such as Pentax or Olympus make very capable cameras, and although you may not have the choice of 100 different lenses, you should be asking yourself if that is ever going to be an issue.

Also, take all this advice with a grain of salt. A Rebel XT will be all the camera that some people ever need, and if you are moving from a Compact P&S any DSLR is gonna fell like a Cadillac at first. Happy shopping!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back