I'm so uncomfortable. -- I finally bit the bullet.

I thought you can get LR5 as a stand alone? Or do you need it in the CC format for the retina option?

I thought you can get LR5 as a stand alone? Or do you need it in the CC format for the retina option?

The "photographer's package" is $10/mo. Getting any of the software on it's own is $20/mo.

I only did it cause I needed PHOTOSHOP to be retina ready. I didn't have an issue with LR4.

But since I had it in the bundle, I downloaded LR5, which I was told was "retina ready"... and it is. Unless you're trying to do a slideshow.

The only reason I was so livid about it, is because that's how I present my images to my clients for the first time - via a slideshow. But I've never had a retina display prior to this sales meeting, so it always looked okay.

BUT... as I was getting myself ready to go to the meeting, it dawned on me that Keynote, is a presentation program... which would do a slideshow... and it's an Apple software, which means it's DEFINITELY retina ready....... So I threw a quick slideshow together in Keynote in the spare 20 minutes I had before I had to leave to meet with my clients. :lol:

(Who needs Lightroom slideshows when you have KEYNOTE? Much better that way anyway, and definitely how I'll be doing it from now on, regardless if Lightroom ever becomes retina ready in the slideshow module).

The cloud would kill me. I don't have internet access all the time. I take shots and may process some in a tent on my laptop.

I'm starting to move away from apple products ... my iPad 2 finally bit the dust. My kids iphone 4 battery is dying all the time, my minimac barely runs netflix & youtube anymore (don't even ask about upgrading it $$ ). and my old iMac G4 is really only useful as a nifty R2D2 looking DVD movie playing device.

Cloud software is not my friend .. it'll force you to upgrade to keep up with it's provided technology.

But, then again, I do miss my Apple //e with CP/M

Leave it to Apple to make hardware that cNt be fully utilized by any other mainstream products.

"Oh, so most devices display things at 72 PPI? Well let's make a screen that displays everything at 200+ PPI mwahaha!"

The cloud would kill me. I don't have internet access all the time. I take shots and may process some in a tent on my laptop. I'm starting to move away from apple products ... my iPad 2 finally bit the dust. My kids iphone 4 battery is dying all the time, my minimac barely runs netflix & youtube anymore (don't even ask about upgrading it $$ ). and my old iMac G4 is really only useful as a nifty R2D2 looking DVD movie playing device. Cloud software is not my friend .. it'll force you to upgrade to keep up with it's provided technology. But, then again, I do miss my Apple //e with CP/M

AGAIN... For the 3rd time... :lol:

The ADOBE cloud and APPLE'S iCloud are totally, 100%, not even close to being related at all. :biglaugh:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and your Apple comment is a separate statement from your cloud statement. :lol:

You don't NEED to use Adobe's cloud.

I'm not.

I don't feel the need to "have access to my files anywhere. I take my MBP everywhere with me.

You also don't need to be connected to the internet to use it. You download photoshop software straight to your hard drive just like you always have, and can edit offline. I just needs to connect once every while, real quick, to confirm your licenses is still valid.

And as far as your Apple stuff is concerned, I dunno what to tell you.

My husbands iPad, first gen, is still going strong (aside from software limitations at this point, but it's OOOOOLD, :lol:), my iPhone 4 battery was still great, when I sold it (your issue could GREATLY depend on how hard of a user your kid is and what apps they're using, cause certain *apps* can really drain the battery, as well as a few settings, like brightness being high all the time, and whether or not you have good reception where they are, cause if it's CONSTANTLY looking for a good signal, that can kill it too... OR... Your kid just went through the battery's charge life cycle already-- So who knows, :lol: ), my Mac Mini is still powering through and I'm planning on sending it to my mother as a transition into Apple, once I get all my sh*t off it, haha, AND your g4, depending on when you got it, is at LEAST, 12 years old... 10 at best.

That computer came out in 2002. And got discontinued in 2004. :lol:

So that is 100% understandable that it's probably slow and can't keep up with current software a and technologies. :lol:

And if you're not backing up, and or you are sharing an Apple ID with someone else, iCloud CAN be a pain in the ads. So don't do that. Use it the way it was intended.

:biglaugh:

:biggrin:

:hugg:

I'll never go away from Apple.

A new Steve Jobs reincarnation would have to come along and start something even more amazing to do that. And so far, I haven't see signs of that coming.

I won't do Droid and I would rather DIE than move back to Windows.

YOU WON'T TAKE ME ALIVE WINDOWS!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Last edited:
Leave it to Apple to make hardware that cNt be fully utilized by any other mainstream products. "Oh, so most devices display things at 72 PPI? Well let's make a screen that displays everything at 200+ PPI mwahaha!"

"Leave it to Apple to make beautiful displays that can be fully utilized by literally every piece of software that I own, EXCEPT the damn slideshow module in Lightroom, which is 100% Adobe's fault for being lazy and not coding!"

Fixed it for you :sexywink:

I wouldn't trade my retina display for the world. Everything looks like massive sh*t in comparison. :lol:

I barely like even just watching Netflix on my old Samsung desktop monitor anymore. -- and that's the one I used to edit on every day, for the past few years. :lmao:

The ADOBE cloud and APPLE'S iCloud are totally, 100%, not even close to being related at all. :biglaugh:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and your Apple comment is a separate statement from your cloud statement. :lol:

I'm not.

I don't feel the need to "have access to my files anywhere. I take my MBP everywhere with me.

You also don't need to be connected to the internet to use it. You download photoshop software straight to your hard drive just like you always have, and can edit offline. I just needs to connect once every while, real quick, to confirm your licenses is still valid.

My husbands iPad, first gen, is still going strong (aside from software limitations at this point, but it's OOOOOLD, :lol:), my iPhone 4 battery was still great, when I sold it (your issue could GREATLY depend on how hard of a user your kid is and what apps they're using, cause certain *apps* can really drain the battery, as well as a few settings, like brightness being high all the time, and whether or not you have good reception where they are, cause if it's CONSTANTLY looking for a good signal, that can kill it too... OR... Your kid just went through the battery's charge life cycle already-- So who knows, :lol: ), my Mac Mini is still powering through and I'm planning on sending it to my mother as a transition into Apple, once I get all my sh*t off it, haha, AND your g4, depending on when you got it, is at LEAST, 12 years old... 10 at best.

So that is 100% understandable that it's probably slow and can't keep up with current software a and technologies. :lol:

And if you're not backing up, and or you are sharing an Apple ID with someone else, iCloud CAN be a pain in the ads. So don't do that. Use it the way it was intended.

Ok, so what I got from this was .. well, something something cloud something. Could you go over that middle part again?

Lol

A new Steve Jobs reincarnation would have to come along and start something even more amazing to do that. And so far, I haven't see signs of that coming.

Well someday at some point Linux will mature to the point where they'll have a distribution that can actually run windows applications like photoshop and a couple of the 3d apps I use in a stable and usable fashion. The moment that happens I'll be switching myself.

I'm not.

Ok, so what I got from this was .. well, something something cloud something. Could you go over that middle part again?

Lol

Well someday at some point Linux will mature to the point where they'll have a distribution that can actually run windows applications like photoshop and a couple of the 3d apps I use in a stable and usable fashion. The moment that happens I'll be switching myself.

I know a few people who really love Linux.

I've never really used it myself. I've seen it a few times, but I've never used it.

It just seems like too much thinking to me. :lol:

I need something simple, idiot, and curiosity proof. :biglaugh:

I'm not.

Lol

I've never really used it myself. I've seen it a few times, but I've never used it.

Well if Apple ever unlocked their OS and allowed it to be used on non-apple hardware I'd give it a serious look, but as it is my options are a little more limited. There are some really nice distributions of linux that are actually pretty easy to install and use, but really they still are at that stage where they are not quite "ready for prime time" at least as far as a primary workstation is concerned. My biggest problem is I've got some pretty high end, high dollar windows applications that don't really run all that well in a Virtual Machine because of the graphics requirements, and WINE (A windows emulator for Linux) still needs a ton of work, it's spotty and unstable at best.

So for now I'm stuck with Windows as a primary OS for now - but they've made a lot of advancements in Linux just in the last couple of years.. So i'll be patient and keep my fingers crossed.

Lol

Well if Apple ever unlocked their OS and allowed it to be used on non-apple hardware

c4mxlyn.gif

That's never gonna happen.

Well if Apple ever unlocked their OS and allowed it to be used on non-apple hardware

That's never gonna happen.

Which really is a shame. Don't get me wrong, I get where Apple is coming from there, the reason the OS is so stable is that it is really only designed to work on a limited hardware set and by unlocking the kernel they do open themselves up to stability issues and the need to start developing additional device drivers and such - so I can see why Apple doesn't go that route. It would be nice to have for guys like me, who have just entirely too much invested in non-apple hardware to ever consider switching, especially since Apple doesn't make anything equivalent to some of the "heavy metal" I have in the basement - so for now I guess I'm just stuck in the wonderful world of Windows.

Today's weather - cloudy with a touch of heavy falling apples.

It must be so,so,soooo awfull to have to look at an ever-so-slightly less than Retina-ready menu on a screen...the horror...I cannot imagine how God-awful it must be to look at things in regular high-defintion, merely millions of colors...and not Retina-level glory on the toolbars and menus....Jesus Fu****h CH***+, the harshness of modern life is so sad...and all those starving kids in the third world...where are their Retina-ready software apps? who cries for them?

Oh...just exercising my new title "Mr. Rain Cloud" that one of the moderators or admins branded me with last night...I woke up today and hey, WTF--I'm now Mr. Rain Cloud!! So, might as well exercise my new title, right???

$Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud.jpg

It must be so,so,soooo awfull to have to look at an ever-so-slightly less than Retina-ready menu on a screen...the horror...I cannot imagine how God-awful it must be to look at things in regular high-defintion, merely millions of colors...and not Retina-level glory on the toolbars and menus....Jesus Fu****h CH***+, the harshness of modern life is so sad...and all those starving kids in the third world...where are their Retina-ready software apps? who cries for them?

I do Derrel. I cry for them. Mostly during a my weekly pedicure. Yup.. I get seriously weepy for them right about then, especially if the champagne service is slow that day. Lol

Most reactions

Back