I'm Very New... How To Get This Effect?

kk03fttw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
15.jpg

How do I get this effect? Do I lower shutter speed? If so how far down?

Hey im not positive, but i think it was just because it was night out so when the flash went off it froze the skateboarder and before the shutter closed there was still enough light to cause the blur.

Yes, lower the shutter speed. I'd start at about 1/15th of a sec and work my way to about 1/2 sec, maybe even a second. The effect there is a standard flash effect. Flash goes off as soon as the shutter opens, freezing the main subject, then the rest is blurred in the direction the subject was heading.

To get more of a forward motion effect, rear curtain sync flash is needed. That's basically where the flash goes off on the tail end of your exposure time, getting the blur behind the subject, then freezing the action as the shutter closes. Gives it more more of a natural flow of direction.

Not knowing what camera you're using, I don't know if the rear curtain thing is available to you. But you can still get the above effect with any camera that has a flash for the most part.

exactly I agree with Matt, I was thinking about this photo for a while and somethink was wrong for me. I don't get why we don't se the slide of a guy on a board. There must have been a computer usage in this photo

So we have a problem now... almost everyone says somethink different... hey guys! decide! :p

I think I'll try all suggested methods, but I'm a bit afraid about my friend who is going to "pose" in SUCH a photos :D

It could be PS, but if you are wanting to do it in camera it's rear-curtain slow sync. Very easy to do, probably easier than PS.

Ok, the fact that many assume immediatly that this is photoshop is very detrimental to photography. This is a very possible, very easy effect to do with a flash (i would actually guess the photo to be taken with a studio light that burst about halfway through the exposure.), tripod, and long shutter speed. So, lets say i set up my lighting how I want it, and have my subject do a few test runs to find out where to point my viewfinder, and to gauge how long the exposure time needs to be. Flash is a very useful way to stop motion. So the boarder does his slide, I open the shutter, wait a split second, fire my flash, the exposure finishes. You can see that there is blur on both sides of the sharp board. A wide angle lens was used, which probably accounts for not as much blur showing up on our boarder.

Thats how I see it. Photoshop is a good tool, but by far not an end all tool.

I know about the rear curtain slow flash technique but this doesn't look like it.

The blurring is too area specific. What is it about the front of the board that caused blurring but kept the rest of the action in focus? The front of the board doesn't look significantly brighter than anything else to me. In fact his T-shirt looks the brightest bit of the photo so it should be blurred too.

I'd say this was definitely PS.

i think i vote for it being pshopped

so the flash goes off, then there's an "extended exposure".
for the light captured by this extended exposure to not blow out the highlights of what was captured with the flash (especially the side of the stair), it would have to be pretty dark.
if it's dark... how does he see to jump the rail? :eek:

also, it looks like there's some wierd aliasing going on with the rails

looking at the shadow of his one leg on his other leg, it seems that the light source is pretty high up, like a streetlight.

did anyone think that the board could be the fastest thing moving? I'm not sure how much anyone knows about skateboarding, but I seriously doubt that this boarder was just flying through the air in that pose. He was likely constantly shifting his body and board to the land the trick. It's likely that the board was moving faster than his body. The shutter and flash was fast enough to freeze his body but not his board. Oh yeah, and if you haven't notice there is blur from his head and the rest of his body. Just an observation.

We're a little handicapped by the fact that the shot isn't a good resolution one, obviously from internet purposes.

But from what I can see:

Only one section of the board is blurred, not the rest of it. Why? that section of the board doesn't appear any brighter than the rest of the board. OK, so maybe that was the part of the board moving fastest, except that the movement appears parallel to the stair railings, which would seem impossible if the rest of the board is still.

There's also a slight blurring from his head....but not his arm. So his head was moving but his arm was still????

Also, the blurring from the board appears to extend forwards as well as back. If that means that the board was moving backward and forward as the skater maintained balance then it's even more reason why the rest of the board should be blurred too, even if not as heavily as the front. Yet we see no movement from the rest of the board at all.

Also. The blurring on the board is so bright. Not just a spot either but a whole one third section of the board. What the heck is causing all that yellow on only one part of the board? The front axle and wheels don't seem to account for it.

The more I look at it the more I'm convinced it's Photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back