I'm Very New... How To Get This Effect?

I think the slow shutter/flash technique was the one used. That would be alot easier than trying to photoshop that. And I think it is probably very dark, I've seen lots of Mountain Bike, Bmx, and Skateboard footage where the people are riding in the dark.
skate2s2.JPG
Like that, that is not photoshop it is just certain usage of the flash, and it is very dark out.

Grrr. no one gets skateboarding. The blur does NOT indicate that the board moved forwards and backwards. To top it all, since we have no information about this **** whatsoever, how can we possibly be certain of the technique. Effects similar to this can be achieved with flash techniques, and I'm sure someone could cook something up in photoshop. Done.

Calm down, what are you so stressed about? It's just a discussion about whether the photo is a flash technique or a Photoshop.

no one gets skateboarding

What has that got to do with anything? Do skateboards exist in their own parallel universe with their own unique physical laws, which nobody but skateboarders understand? NO. So what's your point?

The blur does NOT indicate that the board moved forwards and backwards

Maybe not but the blur does indicate movement. I'm just suspicious that only one part of the board seems to be moving, and in a way that doesn't look right.

To top it all, since we have no information about this s*** whatsoever, how can we possibly be certain of the technique

We probably can't be 100% certain unless the original photographer tells us, but we can look at the photo and apply reason and logic, as well as a certain knowledge of photographic techniques, to determine what the most likely possibility is.

I think the slow shutter/flash technique was the one used. That would be alot easier than trying to photoshop that

Are you serious? Somebody with a basic working knowledge of photoshop using the blur tool could do that in about a minute. What's so difficult about that?

Like that, that is not photoshop it is just certain usage of the flash, and it is very dark out.

It's a good picture....great effect.....BUT...It is a totally different effect from the original picture. To use a popular North American terminology, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Despite the wierd effect in your pic though it does look natural and I wouldn't say it was photoshopped. The original picture just doesn't look natural to me.

Rear curtain sycn. If the available light was right and the film speed slow enough, there would be enough available light to record the blur of the motion, the flash would stop the motion and reciprocity (sp) failure would keep the rest of the image from being overexposed.

Ant said:
Are you serious? Somebody with a basic working knowledge of photoshop using the blur tool could do that in about a minute. What's so difficult about that?

Someone with a basic working knowledge of flash and shutter could do this in 1/15th of a sec (or whatever the shutter speed is). Also not very difficult. :lol: Sorry to be such a smart ass, I just couldn't resist. You are right, doesn't matter where it's done as long as the photographer is happy with it.

Someone with a basic working knowledge of flash and shutter could do this in 1/15th of a sec (or whatever the shutter speed is). Also not very difficult. :lol:

LOL :lol:

I'm still not convinced it's flash though. I could very well be wrong of course, but nobody has so far explained how the blurring is so specific to one particular area and not others.

Personally, I don't care how it was done. The end result looks fake to me, and that's all that matters.

Most reactions

Back