Information for a newbie?

ThePerfectShot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,​

I'm Merrit and I guess you could call me a real beginner. I've been looking into getting a new camera for the past few years. I have pretty much settled on the Canon XTi and a few lenses to go with.​

I don't get the type of shots I want with a compact camera. I'm using a Sony Cybershot and a Kodak EasyShare right now. I have to admit I am disappointed with the results. I can't get action shots; which is a huge part of why I am getting a SLR.​

I'm studying for my GED and hope to take a few Photography college courses in the near future. So I need a real upgrade from what I'm using right now. I'm not looking for anything super pro and I can't spend XXXX amounts of money right now. Once I'm in the position and know for a fact this will be my profession I will make a huge upgrade.​

The lenses I am looking at are the 50mm f/1.8, filters, and eventually the 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6, but I would really like to get a fisheye too. Just to have it on hand would be really nice, there is something about the effect I really like. My problem is the more and more I look; the more I get confused.​

Are there any recommendations you can give for a newbie? Any information on books, lenses, cameras would be wonderful.​

Here are a few shots I've gotten; nothing super special, but as good as you're going to get with a simple compact.​

Taken with Sony CyberShot: These are all dogs I work with at adoptions.
DSC07027.jpg

DSC06244.jpg

DSC07188.jpg

DSC07191.jpg

Taken with the Kodak:
106.jpg

Thank you for taking a look, I really do appreciate it!
Merrit​

What do you mean by "action shots"? Sports, wildlife or what? Do you want high framerates?

Also, have you looked at the D40? Or the Pentax K100D (at closeout prices)? Or the Olympus E410/420/510? They are all great cameras for lower prices. If you still want the XTi, don't get the kit lens - it just sucks. If you can live with a prime lens, get the 50mm f/1.8 for $100. If you want a zoom, get the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS. The IS version is about $200 and is much better than the kit lens in the XTi. It is the XSi's kit lens.

What do you mean by "action shots"? Sports, wildlife or what? Do you want high framerates?

Also, have you looked at the D40? Or the Pentax K100D (at closeout prices)? Or the Olympus E410/420/510? They are all great cameras for lower prices. If you still want the XTi, don't get the kit lens - it just sucks. If you can live with a prime lens, get the 50mm f/1.8 for $100. If you want a zoom, get the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS. The IS version is about $200 and is much better than the kit lens in the XTi. It is the XSi's kit lens.

Most action shots; wildlife, people, and also pets. I do a lot of rescue work with animals and it would be really nice to get more than two or three good shots. Frame rate doesn't have to be super high, but mid would be nice.

I have looked into the Nikon D40 and like it. I've also looked into the Olympus E410. Would you say they're better or equal to the Canon XTi? Nothing is set in stone atm and I'm still open to ideas. I hadn't heard as many good things about Olympus or Nikon.

Would you get the same lenses no matter of the three? Canon, Olympus, Nikon..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back