Infrared Digitally

floridabwoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I bought a D40x. Can someone tell me the steps to create b/w /infrared pictures? I guess someone mentioned you do it
with the white balance???

thx.

You buy an infrared filter, like a Hoya RM-72. If you are going to be converting them to b&w, then obviously white balance doesn't matter. If you are going for color infrared, your best bet is shooting raw and adjusting the white balance afterwards in post prod.

alternatively have an older model....or a new one as the finances allow and have it converted to full time infrared, I did and love it. The exposure times using filters can be a problem, depending upon your subject choice of course.

What does it take to completely convert a cam era to strictly infrared? It is not possible to do it yourself right?

Depends on your skills at very sensitive work. You need to dismantle the camera to get to the sensor (there are some tiny things in cameras). For an SLR this means going in through the back and not simply opening the shutter.

The sensor assembly must be dismantled too and the bluish looking low pass filter removed. Then everything reassembled while simultaneously praying to any and every god you see fit that you didn't just break something.

If you're the type who is worried about cleaning dust of your sensor this is by far not a project for you.

What does it take to completely convert a cam era to strictly infrared? It is not possible to do it yourself right?
Go here. http://www.lifepixel.com/IR.htm If you are really interested in making a camera solely an IR body. Once it is done, it is done unless you want to keep tearing the camera apart.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back