Infrared photography Question

Garbz, how much do you usually stop down for IR?

I almost always shoot IR wide open. I can't say that it's ever really casued any DOF issues. (I've never really tested for sharpness issues though.)
If you have a lens that causes hot spots, shooting wide open will help. It probably won't completely get rid of the hot spot, but it will make it smaller and less pronounced.

I need to go through my lenses again and figure out which ones produce a hot spot...
(I think I have a link somewhere in my bookmarks that has all of that in it.)

For the ones that do not have it, I think I'll try to start using 'normal' apertures.
I was just wondering if you had been doing the same, or if you use the same aperture as you would in visible light.

I don't use the same as I would with visible light because I hate waiting for 20 second exposures. I have a D200, notoriously bad for IR photography. But I do often stop down 1 or 2 stops. Whereas with normal landscapes I often shoot at the f/11 mark, when doing digital IR I typically stick to around f/5.6 or f/6.3.

I have no idea how this impacts hotspots since I am lucky enough not to have any lenses that I use for IR that do it.

Today I shot a few IR photos at f/8. I posted them in a thread I started...

I think I'll stick to shooting wide open - somehow the wide open shots seem sharper to me. The only nice thing about stopping down that I noticed today was that I got some motion blur on the clouds. I never got that shooting wide open.

Basically - you just need an IR filter.

It will filter out everything except for IR light.

just and fyi, some of the newer cameras have issues with IR , they don't response well. Pick up an older sony 717 or dimage 7 and even some canon powershots if you want to play around as they do a better job of IR. Of course this is depended on which dslr you already own.

i do some IR with my D100 with a wratten 87 but only on a tripod as the times are long. On the other hand i have a converted fuji 9100s that can be handheld.

It's not newers cameras, but rather completely variable. In fact the D100 is only one or two stops better than the D200 for IR which is possibly the worst camera to use. It depends on the strength of the low pass filter used to match the sensor and algorithms on the image processing chip.

See this page to get an idea how well IR will work with your camera.

I used to have a better page bookmarked - but I can't find it right now...

I'm not sure... I don't see anything submitted from a D80 on there (that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

I used to have a link to a page with a lot more information on a lot more cameras...
I'll see if I can find it, but in the mean time you should be able to get some results by googling "D80 ir photography", or something like that.

Hardly, the D200 is probably the worst for IR but I still managed to squeeze out some great IR shots.

Most reactions

Back