Infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool it guys. We're all friends here; Take all advice with a grain of salt, then do your own research to support any advice. Some times people are misinformed or mistaken as I have been. Just listen and help when you can.

-Ryan

Tasmaster and Rmh159...good extended explanations. And to kidchill, that is a good advice warning him about internal filter packs. Even though he did say he has a D40 that will be useful for someone else reading the thread. I should have remembered that considering I have a D80 :)

Ah, so you are the only one allowed to research then? Everyone else must be wrong, and the fact that i have been taking IR photos with a D40 for more than a year means nothing before your genius i guess.

Oh sorry, i must have inagined this part then:

- "Yes, newer models have much stronger filters"
- "The D40 is a "newer" model..."

Besides your complete ignorance, you are saying that the D40 has as strong a filter as newer models, which it doesn't.

Then there is this slightly sociopathic bit (since you seem to be all too familiar with mental disorders):

- "However, since you probably don't want to read through pages of bewildering detail, here is the simple way to do it:

- Buy a Hoya R72 filter or equivalent
- Put it on your lens
- Set mode to Auto (without flash)
- Click

That's all you need to get started.
"

- "Ummm. It may be a little more in depth than that...." (because you think so on another, completely different camera)

No. There isn't. Getting started is as simple as that. I am sorry if it doesn't work for you, it works for me and hundreds other D40 users all around the internet posting IR photos taken with an R72 and nothing else. That's just the way it is. That is reality, deal with it. You might also want to read through the extensive information in the links i posted, and maybe learn a thing or two.

Gl, hf, enjoy your creative posting.

To the OP, never mind this little bit, there is more than enough info in this thread to get you started.

I said before, calm down and look at this thread as a whole. You did not say in your first few posts that you were a D40 owner....kidchill was NOT saying you were wrong. He was saying to the OP that he should look into it himself before buying... which in my experience is good advice... no disrespect to you but the OP doesnt know who you are, why should he go and spend his money based on one persons opinion?

This kind of thing often happens on internet forums... dont take it personally.
e.g.
someone: Does a SB600 flash work off camera with a D50 the same as it would with a D70?
Someotherguy: Yes it should do the models are quite similar.

The someone goes off and buys it.... in the meantime someone else reads the post and realises its wrong.... too late.

Do you see what i mean?... its NOT a personal attack to you, so dont take it that way.. its simply saying to the OP to not just go out and do it without a little more research.

Look, I'm not upset at all. I didn't loose any sleep last night. If tassmaster has some sort of inferiority complex, that's his problem. He never said in the original post that he was a D40 owner. He just went on saying do this and do that. I just told the OP to research it first. That's what happened to me. I read a post about IR and got all excited....Then I realized the D80 isn't the best camera to just get the filter for it. Since then I contacted lifepixel and shipped it off for modification. The point I was trying to make is even if you can just use the filter it may not work all that well. There's still issues with exposure, focusing, DOF, etc. Which tassmaster posted how to do, which is great. This is a "forum" where we share knowledge and experience. I'm in gradschool for anesthesia and if 1 out of 9 books tells me that a drug is safe and the other 8 books say not to use it with this patient or that patient....I seriously hope I don't start using it based on 1 source!! This thread has obviously gone off on a tangent, tassmaster, if I offended your ego, oh well, get over yourself man!

Arch,

Everyone has opinions and advice to offer, and they can certainly be conflicting or mistaken. However, when i say something like "with an R72 you can shoot handheld in bright light down to ISO 400", that is a fact. It is not my opinion to be doubted, it is a fact of life, unless someone has a very special D40 that i am not aware of. I don't think that maybe it can perform in this way; it does perform in this way. Then some guy comes and tries to establish that i could perhaps be wrong if i was talking about another camera.

As you can see i explicitly stated that yes, other models do not have similar performance, and my post was about the D40, which the OP implied that he owns. Then comes the cryptic and utterly meaningless statement that the D40 is a "newer" model, to which i again reply in a clear way, but kidchill started playing with semantics - way outside of the OP's scope - to turn this into an arguement. This is all the more ironic because if he had read the links i provided he would at least know what he was talking about.

If anyone has a counterpoint to an opinion or piece of advice, then can and should post it. It serves to provide well-rounded information and a more complete point of view to any debate or discussion. Denying established facts, repeatedly and despite explanations, how does that contribute to a discussion?

On my part, i know i shouldn't take it personal - i didn't until kidchill insisted doubting the veracity of my posts for quite a while - but i couldn't help reacting in the face of the absurdity of the whole thing. For the record - childish as it may sound, but justified as it seems i am the only one getting mod attention - he started with the personal attacks. Can we end this now? The only reason that i am putting so much time and typing into this is to make it very clear that i wasn't posting nonsense off the top of my head, and also to make my reasoning crystal clear to you, the moderator.

ok its cool... the points have been made for the OP to take away so there is no need to add to this really. No one is really at fault here, just a series of mis-understandings so there is no 'bad guy' a such... lets just forget about any semantics here now and turn our attention to something better. Happy days ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back