Inner Conflict

Thanks to everyone for their responses.
I think as of right now, my question to myself is, "Am I willing to take on the challenges of being an artist?"
I foresee many Cup O' Noodles :D

As far as the discussion on artist and photographers go.
First, I have always considered myself an artist, as a photographer. Just because we don't use charcoal or paint, does not mean that we shouldn't be considered ARTIST. No one has ever claimed to me that photography isn't an art, but they seem hesitant to put us in the category. I think that is a sore spot with me; in high school many of the studio art teachers pushed photo in the background, and it seemed they almost looked down upon it. :grumpy: *cough. Anyways.

I think having a background in studio art has certainly helped me as a photographer. And vice versa. I am not above average when it comes to drawing, painting, etc.
Composition though, has always come to me second nature. That is what transcends to every form of art.
So to sum this up. I don't think photographers need to be able to draw an amazing self portrait. I think they need to understand the concept of art.

Thanks again to everyone who shared!
All of your imput is greatly appreciated :)

I do not consider myself an artist. I never have. I'm a photographer. I record moments in time. A photojournalist or a person that documents should also be recording those moments... not taking artistic license and making them something they aren't. There is a difference between being a photographer and an artist. Many people take lousy pictures but they wrap it in the term "artistic" rather than just admit that it's a lousy picture. At least I'm honest enough to say when my picture is out of focus or slanted or has motion blur when it shouldn't, that it's because of my photography skills (or lack of)... I don't say that I'm just being creative and that's how I express myself artistically.

You can teach someone to be a photographer. It's much harder to teach someone to be an artist. Artistic skills come from within and you learn to bring them out... but if no artistic talent exists, you aren't going to teach someone how to be one. Just like you can teach someone to write, but it's not so easy to teach them to be an author. You can teach someone poetry, but it's not so simple to be a poet.

One thing about being an artist... if someone wants to call themself one... there is no way that anyone can prove them wrong. It's one of those intangable things in nature. If you think you are an artist, you are. If others think you are an artist, then you are. What I am saying is you don't need to be an artist to be a photographer. You can still take pictures. ;)

I'm a photographer. I'm not an artist.

Mike

Most reactions

Back