Inside Sports Arena Question

Glen C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.glencanning.com
The past couple weeks I have been to three hockey games and despite trying to get the settings just right my pictures turn out either to dark or to blurry (or both). Adding a flash is no good because I'm usually behind the glass. Someone told me to try a higher ISO setting.

Does anyone have any tips for these kinds of action shots? Some do turn out but I get the feeling those were just luck. I fairly close to the action. Appreciate any help. This is the usual....

ISO 800 Fstop 4.0-4.5 Shutter about 400-800.
destroyers.jpg

I have the best luck with a combo of faster glass and high ISO. I usally use a 80-200 f/2.8 or a 300 f/2.8 and if I shoot my D1X set at ISO 800 or with my D1 at ISO 1600. I always shoot with the aperture wide open in aperture priority and the resulting shutter speed is more acceptable for action shots. I still can expect to lose a relativly high persentage, but the sence of motion is still there and sometimes helps with the realism of the shot.

Forgive me for not being too familiar with your camera model, I'm a Canon shooter myself. You got a pretty fast shutter speed at the ISO setting you were using. I came very close to freezing a hummingbirds wings somewhere in that range and hockey players don't move that fast, I don't think your ISO setting was the problem. Looks like maybe more of a focusing problem. Do you remember what AF Area mode you were shooting in?

They have one mode I believe that tracks moving subjects and constantly makes adjustments as you follow them. Dynamic Area Mode maybe? Somebody who shoots a D70 help me out here.

Yeah, definitely try and use a larger aperture (smaller F stop) Use 1600 ISO definitely. Use as fast as a shutter speed as you can, you can always increase the exposure post production. A picture is better underexposed rather than overexposed.

If there is too much noise (grain) in the image with 1600, use Neat Image (www.neatimage.com) to fix the photo.

The D70 should capture those shots no problem.

Most reactions

Back