Internet Issues

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
All week at work, the net has been pretty slow, at times not working at all. I haven't been on at home all week tho, so I thought it was a work thing. Then Michael says tonight that it's really slow here and using it myself now, I see that that is true. He thought that when he did the big MS XP update thing on Monday, where it installed the firewall n stuff, that that made something change so now it's slow. So I don't know. Is anyone else experiencing anything? Has anyone got the XP update and had a problem with net speed? I don't have XP at work though. Maybe it's two differing problems just looking alike?

SP2? I don't use XP but I've seen the reports about SP2, just like most people. I've also seen say how it has edited the rate at which connections can open on your pc. So if you're downloading from lots of sources things such as images on websites can be refused by your pc. I doubt it would affect you though. Unless you're using a P2P client.

I use NTLWorld as my ISP. The connection was getting slower and slower during the evenings. One day it stopped altogether so I phoned them. I was told (in a round-about-way) that I was to expect that as there were more people connecting during the evenings in my area. That's great isn't it. We pay for a connection (cable) of a set speed, but during the evenings we can't use all of that connection because Mr Smith at 31 has decided to look at the Bonsai Kitty website.
They've doubled are speed recently as a "we have one million users" thingy. It seemed odd to me when I heard about it. Why give people more bandwidth when there isn't enough to start with? It seems to have got a lot better now though. And it looks like the USB port on the PC was the reason for the modem going down. It goes down more than once a day. I unplug it, plug it back in and it works fine. The printer is plugged into the same port and has problems to.

That kind of relates to your orignal post, right?

Jeff Canes said:
It a conspiracy by Microsoft to make you buy more software

jeff? you ok? you spelled everything right!!! just kidding bro :lol: :oops:

md

my net is slow too, especially in last 2 weeks

I think it's because the new voice over net has been getting so popular that the broadband has been lagging. Most of the big ISP hubs are not ready for all of the new amounts of data but should be up before too much longer.

At least that's what they were saying on tech.msn.com the other day...... Although that's run by Gates also. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back